Performance-Based Conditionality: A European Perspective
For several years, the conditionality underpinning budgetary support to developing countries has been the object of severe criticism. This criticism has led to the belief that the “ownership of policies” by the recipient country governments is essential for the effective implementation of economic reform programmes. To this end, it has been suggested that traditional conditionality based on policy measures be replaced by a conditionality in which aid is based on performance outcomes. In this spirit, the European Commission has reformed its adjustment aid. The present article provides an assessment of this experiment based on the experiences in Benin, Burkina Faso, Madagascar and Uganda. It demonstrates the danger of a shift towards intermediate indicators, which are too distant from the final impact of the policies, and suggests several improvements to implement genuine performance-based conditionality.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in , 2002, pages|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (33-4) 73 17 74 00
Fax: (33-4) 73 17 74 28
Web page: http://cerdi.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- C. S. Adam & S. A. O'Connell, 1999. "Aid, Taxation and Development in Sub-Saharan Africa," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(3), pages 225-253, November.
- Paul Collier & Jan Willem Gunning, 1999.
"The IMF's role in structural adjustment,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
1999-18, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Miguel A. Savastano & Michael Mussa, 1999. "The IMF Approach to Economic Stabilization," IMF Working Papers 99/104, International Monetary Fund.
- Collier, Paul & Guillaumont, Patrick & Guillaumont, Sylviane & Gunning, Jan Willem, 1997. "Redesigning conditionality," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(9), pages 1399-1407, September.
- Adam, Christopher S. & Gunning, Jan Willem, 2002. "Redesigning the Aid Contract: Donors' Use of Performance Indicators in Uganda," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(12), pages 2045-2056, December.
- Mohsin S. Khan & Sunil Sharma, 2001. "IMF Conditionality and Country Ownership of Programs," IMF Working Papers 01/142, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdi:wpaper:381. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vincent Mazenod)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.