MAMS – A Computable General Equilibrium Model for Developing Country Strategy Analysis
This chapter presents MAMS (Maquette for MDG Simulations), a recursive-dynamic CGE model developed at the World Bank for analysis of medium- to long-run country strategies for low- and middle-income countries, including strategies aimed at improving MDG (Millennium Development Goals) outcomes. Compared to other CGE models, MAMS offers a unique combination of new and policy-relevant features, most importantly disaggregation of the government services by function, broad and integrated coverage of MDGs and endogenous links between education and the labor market. The chapter provides a detailed description of MAMS, the policy insights that it has generated, exemplified by a case study of Yemen and the lessons learned from developing and applying MAMS to a large number of countries.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
|This chapter was published in: ||This item is provided by Elsevier in its series Handbook of Computable General Equilibrium Modeling with number
v:1:y:2013:i:c:p:159-276.||Handle:|| RePEc:eee:hacchp:v:1:y:2013:i:c:p:159-276||DOI:|| 10.1016/B978-0-444-59568-3.00004-3||Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://store.elsevier.com/Handbook-of-Computable-General-Equilibrium-Modeling/isbn-9780444536341/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter B. Dixon & Maureen T. Rimmer, 2010. "Johansen's contribution to CGE modelling: originator and guiding light for 50 years," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers g-203, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
- Agenor, Pierre-Richard & Chen, Derek H.C. & Grimm, Michael, 2004.
"Linking representative household models with household surveys for poverty analysis : a comparison of alternative methodologies,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3343, The World Bank.
- Pierre-Richard Agénor & Derek Chen & Michael Grimm, 2004. "Linking Representative Household Models with Household Surveys for Poverty Analysis A Comparison of Alternative Methodologies," Development and Comp Systems 0405006, EconWPA.
- Pierre-Richard AGÉNOR & Derek H. C. CHEN & Michael GRIMM, "undated". "Linking Representative Household Models with Household Surveys for Poverty Analysis: A Comparison of Alternative Methodologies," EcoMod2004 330600002, EcoMod.
- World Bank, 2007. "Yemen Poverty Assessment : Volume 2. Annexes," World Bank Other Operational Studies 7906, The World Bank.
- AfDB AfDB, . "AfDB Group Annual Report 2009 (Portuguese)," Annual Report, African Development Bank, number 67 edited by Koua Louis Kouakou.
- AfDB AfDB, . "AfDB Group Annual Report 2009," Annual Report, African Development Bank, number 66 edited by Koua Louis Kouakou.
- Rob Vos & Marco V. Sánchez, 2010. "A Non-Parametric Microsimulation Approach to Assess Changes in Inequality and Poverty," Working Papers 94, United Nations, Department of Economics and Social Affairs.
- Hopkins, Michael & Van der Hoeven, Rolph, 1982. "Policy analysis in a socioeconomic model of basic needs applied to four countries," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 425-455, November.
- Bogetic, Zeljko & Bussolo, Maurizio & Medvedev, Denis, 2008. "Achieving accelerated and shared growth in Ghana : a MAMS-based analysis of costs and opportunities," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4523, The World Bank.
- International Monetary Fund, 2009. "Analyzing Fiscal Space Using the MAMS Model - An Application to Burkina Faso," IMF Working Papers 09/227, International Monetary Fund.
- Lay, Jann & Robilliard, Anne-Sophie, 2009. "The complementarity of MDG achievements : the case of child mortality in Sub-Saharan Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5062, The World Bank.
- Kiringai, Jane & Levin, Jorgen, 2008. "Achieving the MDGs in Kenya with some aid and reallocation of public expenditures," Working Papers 2008:10, Örebro University, School of Business.
- Bjerkholt, Olav, 1998. "Interaction between model builders and policy makers in the Norwegian tradition," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 317-339, July.
- World Bank, 2008. "Democratic Republic of Congo : Public Expenditure Review," World Bank Other Operational Studies 8117, The World Bank.
- World Bank & International Monetary Fund, 2010. "Global Monitoring Report 2010 : The MDGs after the Crisis," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2444.
- Nielsen, Hannah & Lofgren, Hans, 2011. "How important is the efficiency of government investment ? The case of the Republic of Congo," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5901, The World Bank.
- AfDB AfDB, . "AfDB Group Annual Report in Brief 2009," Annual Report, African Development Bank, number 65 edited by Koua Louis Kouakou.
- Kendrick, David A., 1996. "Sectoral economics," Handbook of Computational Economics, in: H. M. Amman & D. A. Kendrick & J. Rust (ed.), Handbook of Computational Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 6, pages 295-332 Elsevier.
- Easterly, William, 2009. "How the Millennium Development Goals are Unfair to Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 26-35, January.
- Marouani, Mohamed A. & Robalino, David A., 2008. "Assessing interactions among education, social insurance, and labor market policies in a general equilibrium framework: an application to Morocco," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4681, The World Bank.
- Pierre-Richard Agénor & Nihal Bayraktar & Emmanuel Pinto Moreira & Karim El Aynaoui, 2006.
"Achieving the Millennium Development Goals in Sub-Saharan Africa: A Macroeconomic Monitoring Framework,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(11), pages 1519-1547, November.
- Agenor, Pierre-Richard & Bayraktar, Nihal & Pinto Moreira, Emmanuel & El Aynaoui, Karim, 2005. "Achieving the Millennium Development Goals in Sub-Saharan Africa : a macroeconomic monitoring framework," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3750, The World Bank.
- AfDB AfDB, . "AfDB Group Annual Report 2009 (Arabic)," Annual Report, African Development Bank, number 68 edited by Koua Louis Kouakou.
- World Bank, 2008. "Kenya : Accelerating and Sustaining Inclusive Growth," World Bank Other Operational Studies 18927, The World Bank.
- Jung, Hong-Sang & Thorbecke, Erik, 2003. "The impact of public education expenditure on human capital, growth, and poverty in Tanzania and Zambia: a general equilibrium approach," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 25(8), pages 701-725, November.
- Robinson, Sherman & Cattaneo, Andrea & El-Said, Moataz, 2000.
"Updating and estimating a Social Accounting Matrix using cross entropy methods,"
TMD discussion papers
58, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Sherman Robinson & Andrea Cattaneo & Moataz El-Said, 2001. "Updating and Estimating a Social Accounting Matrix Using Cross Entropy Methods," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 47-64.
- World Bank, 2007. "Republic of Yemen - Poverty Assessment," World Bank Other Operational Studies 7905, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2007. "Yemen Poverty Assessment : Volume 3. Poverty Maps," World Bank Other Operational Studies 7948, The World Bank.
- Marie-Hélène Cloutier & John Cockburn & Bernard Decaluwé, 2008. "Education and Poverty in Vietnam: a Computable General Equilibrium Analysis," Cahiers de recherche 0804, CIRPEE.
- Robinson, Sherman & El-Said, Moataz, 2000. "GAMS code for estimating a social accounting matrix (SAM) using cross entropy methods (CE)," TMD discussion papers 64, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Jeffrey Round, 2003. "Constructing SAMs for Development Policy Analysis: Lessons Learned and Challenges Ahead," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(2), pages 161-183.
- Fox, Tyler & Fullerton, Don, 1991. "The irrelevance of detail in and computable general equilibrium model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 67-70, May.
- World Bank, 2009. "Unleashing the Potential of Ethiopian Women : Trends and Options for Economic Empowerment," World Bank Other Operational Studies 18862, The World Bank.
- Bussolo, Maurizio & Medvedev, Denis, 2007. "Challenges to MDG achievement in low income countries : lessons from Ghana and Honduras," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4383, The World Bank.
- Shoven, John B & Whalley, John, 1984. "Applied General-Equilibrium Models of Taxation and International Trade: An Introduction and Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 22(3), pages 1007-1051, September.
- Robinson, Sherman & Yunez-Naude, Antonio & Hinojosa-Ojeda, Raul & Lewis, Jeffrey D. & Devarajan, Shantayanan, 1999. "From stylized to applied models:: Building multisector CGE models for policy analysis," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 5-38.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:hacchp:v:1:y:2013:i:c:p:159-276. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.