Spanish food expenditure away from home (FAFH): by type of meal
Changes in household income, wife's labour force participation, household size, and other demographic factors influence purchasing meals away from home in Spain. Spanish household expenditure on lunch, breakfast and snacks away from home were investigated within the household production theory context. The Becker's model states that consumers maximize their utility subject not only to the budget constraint but also to a time constraint. Moreover, this model assumes that consumers demand not only the food product itself but also the associated convenience to save time in food preparation. Therefore, the relation between the value of time and food away from home has a high relevance. Data come from the Spanish Continuous Household Survey for 1996. Due to the large number of zeros in the dependent variable, different dependent variable censured models (Double Hurdle, Infrequency of Purchase, etc.) have been specified and estimated. These studies found that food purchasing behaviour away from home of Spanish consumers differ by type of meal. Income, household characteristics and the opportunity cost of woman time are important factors determining food consumption patterns away from home. Moreover, income and opportunity cost of woman time present a positive effect on away from home consumption for type of meal.
Volume (Year): 38 (2006)
Issue (Month): 9 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yen, Steven T. & Su, Shew-Jiuan, 1995. "Modeling U.S. Butter Consumption With Zero Observations," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 24(1), April.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1984. "Tobit models: A survey," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1-2), pages 3-61.
- Manrique, Justo & Jensen, Helen H., 1998.
"Working Women and Expenditures on Food Away-From-Home and At-Home in Spain,"
Staff General Research Papers
1308, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Justo Manrique & Helen H. Jensen, 1998. "Working Women and Expenditures on Food Away-From-Home and At-Home in Spain," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(3), pages 321-333.
- Nayga, Rodolfo M., Jr. & Capps, Oral, Jr., 1995. "Factors Affecting The Probability Of Consuming Fish And Shellfish In The Away From Home And At Home Markets," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 27(01), July.
- Nayga, Rodolfo M., Jr., 1996. "Wife'S Labor Force Participation And Family Expenditures For Prepared Food, Food Prepared At Home, And Food Away From Home," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 25(2), October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:v:38:y:2006:i:9:p:1037-1047. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.