Household food expenditures at home and away from home in Turkey
Turkey has experienced important sociodemographic and economic changes shaping food markets with the resultant significant changes on the consumers’ away from home and at home food consumptions. We analyze the effects of socio-demographic and economic factors of expenditures on food away from home (FAFH) and food at home food (FAH) for both urban and rural households. The study is based on the 2009 Turkish Household Expenditure Survey data and we model the food expenditure patterns using the multivariate sample selection approach. The empirical results suggest that urban households tend to spend more on FAFH than FAH as income increases, while the reverse is true for rural households. Other socio- demographic factors of households show varying impacts on FAFH and FAH between the two household groups.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Helen H. Jensen & Steven T. Yen, 1996. "Food Expenditures Away From Home by Type of Meal," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 44(1), pages 67-80, 03.
- Helen H. Jensen & Steven T. Yen, 1995.
"U.S. Food Expenditures Away From Home by Type of Meal,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
95-wp143, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Jensen, Helen H. & Yen, Steven, 1996. "U.S. Food Expenditures Away from Home by Type of Meal," Staff General Research Papers 922, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Yen, Steven T. & Rosinski, Jan, 2008. "On the marginal effects of variables in the log-transformed sample selection models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 4-8, July.
- Steven T. Yen, 2005. "A Multivariate Sample-Selection Model: Estimating Cigarette and Alcohol Demands with Zero Observations," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(2), pages 453-466.
- Yen, Steven T. & Fang, Cheng & Su, Shew-Jiuan, 2004. "Household food demand in urban China: a censored system approach," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 564-585, September.
- Seval Mutlu & Azucena Gracia, 2006. "Spanish food expenditure away from home (FAFH): by type of meal," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(9), pages 1037-1047.
- Ana M. Angulo & José M. Gil & Jes�s Mur, 2007. "Spanish Demand for Food Away from Home: Analysis of Panel Data," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 289-307, 06.
- Stewart, Hayden & Yen, Steven T., 2004. "Changing household characteristics and the away-from-home food market: a censored equation system approach," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 643-658, December.
- Hung-Hao Chang & Steven T. Yen, 2010. "Off-farm employment and food expenditures at home and away from home," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 37(4), pages 523-551, December.
- Angulo, Ana Maria & Gil, Jose Maria & Mur, Jesus, 2002. "Spanish Demand for Food Away From Home: A Panel Data Approach," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24977, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Lin, Biing-Hwan & Frazao, Elizabeth & Guthrie, Joanne F., 1999. "Away-From-Home Foods Increasingly Important to Quality of American Diet," Agricultural Information Bulletins 33733, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Cihat Günden & Abdulbaki Bilgic & Bülent Miran & Bahri Karli, 2011. "A censored system of demand analysis to unpacked and prepackaged milk consumption in Turkey," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 45(6), pages 1273-1290, October.
- Junfei Bai & Caiping Zhang & Fangbin Qiao & Tom Wahl, 2012. "Disaggregating household expenditures on food away from home in Beijing by type of food facility and type of meal," China Agricultural Economic Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 4(1), pages 18-35, February.
- Vuong, Quang H, 1989. "Likelihood Ratio Tests for Model Selection and Non-nested Hypotheses," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 307-33, March.
- Mancino, Lisa & Todd, Jessica & Lin, Biing-Hwan, 2009. "Separating what we eat from where: Measuring the effect of food away from home on diet quality," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 557-562, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea13:149737. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.