Do German exporters PTM? Searching for right answers in sugar confectionery exports
Pricing-to-market (PTM) evidence in German sugar confectionery exports is examined, combining the original fixed-effects model of Knetter (1989) and an errorcorrection specification (ECM) at three frequency levels, to assess how neglecting time-series properties and the choice of frequency affect the outcomes. In order to ensure validity of unit values as price proxies, the type of competition with every destination market is evaluated, proving price-driven competition with Canada, Sweden, the UK and the US, but not with Switzerland. Results show that fixed-effect model findings of PTM might be spurious, if time-series properties of the data are not considered. German exporters seem to exploit their market power and adjust their markups to protect market shares in strategically important expanding destinations. Local currency price stabilization (LCPS) was found for Canada and the UK, while LCPS for the exports to US in fixed-effects model turned out to be an erroneous result, as cointegration was rejected. Data of the higher frequency was suggested to be preferable for PTM studies, once measurement error due to heterogeneity is minimized. Finally, using marginal costs estimates from a fixed-effects model as cost proxies in the ECM improves the quality of the model and reveals a higher degree of PTM.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.uni-giessen.de/cms/faculties/research-centers/zeu-en/view|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jos Jansen, W, 1996. "Estimating saving-investment correlations: evidence for OECD countries based on an error correction model," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 749-781, October.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Lavoie, Nathalie & Liu, Qihong, 2007. "AJAE Appendix: Pricing-to-Market: Price Discrimination or Product Differentiation?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics Appendices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(3), August.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 1993. "Estimation and Inference in Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195060119.
- Lavoie, Nathalie & Liu, Qihong, 2004.
"Pricing-to-Market: Price Discrimination or Product Differentiation?,"
201544, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Food System Research Group.
- Nathalie Lavoie & Qihong Liu, 2007. "Pricing-to-Market: Price Discrimination or Product Differentiation?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(3), pages 571-581.
- Francisco Requena Silvente, 2005. "Price discrimination and market power in export markets: The case of the ceramic tile industry," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 347-370, November.
- Joseph E. Gagnon & Michael M. Knetter, 1992.
"Markup Adjustment and Exchange Rate Fluctuations: Evidence From Panel Data on Automobile Exports,"
NBER Working Papers
4123, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gagnon, Joseph E. & Knetter, Michael M., 1995. "Markup adjustment and exchange rate fluctuations: evidence from panel data on automobile exports," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 289-310, April.
- John Baffes, 1997. "Explaining stationary variables with non-stationary regressors," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(1), pages 69-75.
- Russell Smyth & Paresh Kumar Narayan, 2004.
"Dead Man Walking: An Empirical Reassessment of the Deterrent Effect of Capital Punishment Using the Bounds Testing Approach to Cointegration,"
Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings
332, Econometric Society.
- Paresh Kumar Narayan & Russell Smyth, 2006. "Dead man walking: an empirical reassessment of the deterrent effect of capital punishment using the bounds testing approach to cointegration," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(17), pages 1975-1989.
- Paresh Narayan & Russell Smyth, . "Dead Man Walking: An Empirical Reassessment of the Deterrent Effect of Capital Punishment Using the Bounds Testing Approach to Cointegration," American Law & Economics Association Annual Meetings 1028, American Law & Economics Association.
- Aiginger, Karl, 1997. "The Use of Unit Values to Discriminate between Price and Quality Competition," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 21(5), pages 571-92, September.
- Uwe Dulleck & Neil Foster & Robert Stehrer & Julia Woerz, 2005. "Dimensions of quality upgrading," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 13(1), pages 51-76, 01.
- Abdulnasser Hatemi-J & Manuchehr Irandoust, 2004. "Is Pricing to Market Behavior a Long-Run Phenomenon? A Non-Stationary Panel Analysis," Empirica, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 55-67, March.
- Tuck Cheong Tang & Mahendhiran Nair, 2002. "A cointegration analysis of Malaysian import demand function: reassessment from the bounds test," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(5), pages 293-296.
- Jacint Balaguer & Ezequiel Uriel Jiménez & Vicente Orts, 2003. "Pricing To Market Behavior In Oligopolistic Competition: A Microeconometric Approach," Working Papers. Serie EC 2003-06, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Hakkio, Craig S. & Rush, Mark, 1991.
"Cointegration: how short is the long run?,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 571-581, December.
- Herrmann, Roland & Kramb, Marc & Mönnich, Christina, 2000. "Tariff rate quotas and the economic impacts of agricultural trade liberalization in the WTO," Discussion Papers 1, Justus Liebig University Giessen, Center for international Development and Environmental Research (ZEU).
- Swift, Robyn, 2004. "The pass-through of exchange rate changes to the prices of Australian exports of dairy and livestock products," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 48(1), March.
- Kremers, Jeroen J M & Ericsson, Neil R & Dolado, Juan J, 1992.
"The Power of Cointegration Tests,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(3), pages 325-48, August.
- Pinelopi K. Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1996.
"Goods Prices and Exchange Rates: What Have We Learned?,"
NBER Working Papers
5862, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pinelopi Koujianou Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1997. "Goods Prices and Exchange Rates: What Have We Learned?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(3), pages 1243-1272, September.
- Knetter, Michael M, 1989. "Price Discrimination by U.S. and German Exporters," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 198-210, March.
- Haug, Alfred A, 2002. " Temporal Aggregation and the Power of Cointegration Tests: A Monte Carlo Study," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 64(4), pages 399-412, September.
- Gil-Pareja, Salvador, 2002. "Export Price Discrimination in Europe and Exchange Rates," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(2), pages 299-312, May.
- Kasa, Kenneth, 1992. "Adjustment costs and pricing-to-market theory and evidence," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1-2), pages 1-30, February.
- Emmanuel Ziramba, 2007. "Demand For Money And Expenditure Components In South Africa: Assessment From Unrestricted Error-Correction Models," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 75(3), pages 412-424, 09.
- Dunn, Robert M, Jr, 1970. "Flexible Exchange Rates and Oligopoly Pricing: A Study of Canadian Markets," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(1), pages 140-51, Jan.-Feb..
- Mah, Jai S., 2000. "An empirical examination of the disaggregated import demand of Korea--the case of information technology products," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 237-244.
- Mick Silver, 2010. "The Wrongs And Rights Of Unit Value Indices," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 56(s1), pages S206-S223, 06.
- Jennifer Brown, 2001. "Price Discrimination and Pricing to Market Behavior of Canadian Canola Exporters," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1343-1349.
- Griffith, Garry R. & Mullen, John D., 2001. "Pricing-to-market in NSW rice export markets," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 45(3), September.
- Carew, Richard, 2000. "Pricing To Market Behavior: Evidence From Selected Canadian And U.S. Agri-Food Exports," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 25(02), December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:zeudps:62. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.