Markup adjustment and exchange rate fluctuations: evidence from panel data on automobile exports
This paper uses bilateral automobile export unit values from the United States, Germany and Japan to measure the importance of markup adjustment that is associated with exchange rate changes across export destination markets. Japanese auto export prices exhibit a high degree of markup adjustment that has the effect of stabilizing prices in units of the buyer's currency. There is weak evidence of this behavior in German auto exports and none for U.S. auto exports. Where it exists, markup adjustment is very persistent, not merely a short run phenomenon. The dynamic pattern of adjustment is consistent with invoicing in the exporter's currency, except for exports to the United States and Canada.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1988. "Quality Change Under Trade Restraints in Japanese Autos," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 103(1), pages 131-146.
- Knetter, Michael M, 1989. "Price Discrimination by U.S. and German Exporters," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 198-210, March.
- Joseph E. Gagnon, 1988.
"Adjustment costs and international trade dynamics,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
321, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Baker, Jonathan B. & Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1988. "Estimating the residual demand curve facing a single firm," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 283-300.
- Froot, Kenneth A & Klemperer, Paul D, 1989.
"Exchange Rate Pass-Through When Market Share Matters,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 79(4), pages 637-54, September.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Paul Klemperer, 1988. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through When Market Share Matters," NBER Working Papers 2542, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nickell, Stephen, 1985. "Error Correction, Partial Adjustment and All That: An Expository Note," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 47(2), pages 119-29, May.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1981. "Departures from marginal-cost pricing in the American automobile industry : Estimates for 1977-1978," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 201-227, November.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1989. "Empirical studies of industries with market power," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 17, pages 1011-1057 Elsevier.
- Kasa, Kenneth, 1992. "Adjustment costs and pricing-to-market theory and evidence," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1-2), pages 1-30, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jimfin:v:14:y:1995:i:2:p:289-310. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.