Exchange Rate Pass-Through When Market Share Matters
We investigate pricing to market when the exchange rate changes in cases where firms' future demands depend on their current market shares. We show that i) profit maximizing foreign firms may either raise or lower their domestic currency export prices when the domestic exchange rate appreciates temporarily (i.e. the "pass-through" from exchange rate changes to import prices may be perverse); ii) current import prices may be more sensitive to the expected future exchange rate than to the current exchange rate; iii) current import prices fall in response to an increase in uncertainty about the future exchange rate. We present evidence that suggests the behavior of expected future exchange rates may provide a clue to the puzzling behavior of U.S. import prices during the 1980s.
|Date of creation:||Mar 1988|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as "Exchange-Rate Pass Through When Market Share Matters." From The American Economic Review, Vol. 79, No. 4, pp. 637-654, (September 1989).|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:adr:anecst:y:1986:i:3 is not listed on IDEAS
- Rudiger Dornbusch, 1985.
"Exchange Rates and Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
1769, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jean-Paul Fitoussi & Edmund S Phelps, 1986.
"Causes of the 1980s Slump in Europe,"
Sciences Po publications
info:hdl:2441/6277, Sciences Po.
- Richard Baldwin & Paul Krugman, 1989.
"Persistent Trade Effects of Large Exchange Rate Shocks,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 104(4), pages 635-654.
- Richard Baldwin & Paul R. Krugman, 1986. "Persistent Trade Effects of Large Exchage Rate Shocks," NBER Working Papers 2017, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Katz, Michael L & Shapiro, Carl, 1985. "Network Externalities, Competition, and Compatibility," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(3), pages 424-40, June.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & Kenneth A. Froot, 1985. "Using Survey Data to Test Some Standard Propositions Regarding Exchange Rate Expectations," NBER Working Papers 1672, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul R. Krugman & Richard E. Baldwin, 1987. "The Persistence of the U.S. Trade Deficit," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 18(1), pages 1-56.
- Baldwin, Richard, 1990. "Hysteresis in Trade," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 127-42.
- Barsky, Robert B & Summers, Lawrence H, 1988.
"Gibson's Paradox and the Gold Standard,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(3), pages 528-50, June.
- Nelson, Phillip, 1970. "Information and Consumer Behavior," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(2), pages 311-29, March-Apr.
- Arthur M. Okun, 1975. "Inflation: Its Mechanics and Welfare Costs," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 6(2), pages 351-402.
- Meese, Richard A & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1988.
" Was It Real? The Exchange Rate-Interest Differential Relation over the Modern Floating-Rate Period,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 43(4), pages 933-48, September.
- Meese, R. & Rogoff, K., 1988. "Was It Real? The Exchange Rate-Interest Differential Ralation Over The Modern Floating-Rate Period," Working papers 368, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A & Froot, Kenneth A, 1987.
"Using Survey Data to Test Standard Propositions Regarding Exchange Rate Expectations,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 77(1), pages 133-53, March.
- Frankel, Jeff & Froot, Ken, 1986. "Using Survey Data to Test Standard Propositions Regarding Exchange Rate Expectations," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt1972q8wm, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Paul Klemperer, 1987. "Markets with Consumer Switching Costs," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 102(2), pages 375-394.
- Catherine L. Mann, 1986. "Prices, profit margins, and exchange rates," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Jun, pages 366-379.
- Joseph Farrell and Carl Shapiro., 1987.
"Dynamic Competition with Lock-In,"
Economics Working Papers
8727, University of California at Berkeley.
- Edmund S. Phelps, 1986. "The Significance of Customers Markets for the Effects of Budgetary Policy in Open Economies," Annals of Economics and Statistics, GENES, issue 3, pages 101-117.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:1986:i:3:p:04 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:2542. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.