The pass-through of exchange rate changes to the prices of Australian exports of dairy and livestock products
Agricultural exports are usually assumed to operate in perfectly competitive international markets, but many are subject to non‐tariff barriers to trade that can affect the degree of pass‐through of exchange rate changes to foreign currency prices. The present study uses multivariate cointegration techniques to examine the effects of exchange rate changes on the prices of Australian exports of milk products, cheese, beef, sheepmeat, and hides and skins. The results indicate that Australian dairy exports operate in competitive markets in which pass‐through is complete, but there is no stable long‐run relationship between exchange rates and prices for any of the other livestock products.
Volume (Year): 48 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Irving B. Kravis & Robert E. Lipsey, 1975.
"International Trade Prices and Price Proxies,"
in: The Role of the Computer in Economic and Social Research in Latin America, pages 253-268
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yumkella, Kandeh K. & Unnevehr, Laurian J. & Garcia, Philip, 1994. "Noncompetitive Pricing And Exchange Rate Pass-Through In Selected U.S. And Thai Rice Markets," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(02), December.
- G. Edward Schuh, 1974. "The Exchange Rate and U. S. Agriculture," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 56(1), pages 1-13.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501.
- Menon, Jayant, 1995. " Exchange Rate Pass-Through," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(2), pages 197-231, June.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Lai, Kon S, 1993. "Finite-Sample Sizes of Johansen's Likelihood Ration Tests for Conintegration," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 55(3), pages 313-28, August.
- Coyle, W. T. & Hayes, Dermot J. & Yamauchi, H., 1992. "Agriculture and Trade in the Pacific: Toward the Twenty-First Century," Staff General Research Papers 449, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- K.W. Clements & J. Freebairn, 1990. "Exchange Rates and Australian Commodity Exports," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 90-09, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Robert E. Lipsey & Linda Molinari & Irving B. Kravis, 1991.
"Measures of Prices and Price Competitiveness in International Trade in Manufactured Goods,"
in: International Economic Transactions: Issues in Measurement and Empirical Research, pages 144-199
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert E. Lipsey & Linda Molinari & Irving B. Kravis, 1990. "Measures of Prices and Price Competitiveness in International Trade in Manufactured Goods," NBER Working Papers 3442, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aareaj:117865. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.