Examining Patterns of Bilateral Trade between Australia and Colombia by Using Cointegration Analysis and Error-Correction Models
The main objective of this paper is to understand whether there is a long-term relationship between Australia and Colombian imports by using macroeconomic fundamentals such as the real exchange rate, income, population and openness. We use multivariate cointegration techniques and error correction models along with time-series data (1960-2005). We focus on testing for cointegration in the presence of structural breaks. The findings suggest that the value of Australian imports from Colombia is cointegrated with three economic series: income of both participating countries and the Colombian population. The real value of Colombian imports from Australia is cointegrated with the real bilateral exchange rate and total Colombian world imports. The relationship between the value of bilateral imports and the cointegrated series can be seen as long-running bilateral import elasticities. High coefficients of the cointegrated variables indicate that opportunities exist to improve long-term trade relationships between the two countries.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: School of Economics, University of Wollongong, Northfields Avenue, Wollongong NSW 2522 Australia|
Phone: +612 4221-3659
Fax: +612 4221-3725
Web page: http://business.uow.edu.au/econ/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abbas Valadkhani & Mosayeb Pahlavani, 2007. "Structural Changes in Australia’s Monetary Aggregates and Interest Rates," The IUP Journal of Monetary Economics, IUP Publications, vol. 0(1), pages 19-29, February.
- Eric Zivot & Donald W.K. Andrews, 1990.
"Further Evidence on the Great Crash, the Oil Price Shock, and the Unit Root Hypothesis,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
944, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Zivot, Eric & Andrews, Donald W K, 2002. "Further Evidence on the Great Crash, the Oil-Price Shock, and the Unit-Root Hypothesis," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 25-44, January.
- Zivot, Eric & Andrews, Donald W K, 1992. "Further Evidence on the Great Crash, the Oil-Price Shock, and the Unit-Root Hypothesis," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 10(3), pages 251-270, July.
- Ann Hodgkinson & André Jordaan, 2006. "Logic of an Australia-South Africa FTA," Agenda - A Journal of Policy Analysis and Reform, Australian National University, College of Business and Economics, School of Economics, vol. 13(2), pages 147-160.
- Ricardo Caballero & Kevin Cowan & Jonathan Kearns, 2004.
"Fear of Sudden Stops: Lessons from Australia and Chile,"
NBER Working Papers
10519, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ricardo Caballero & Kevin Cowan & Jonathan Kearns, 2005. "Fear of Sudden Stops: Lessons From Australia and Chile," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(4), pages 313-354.
- Ricardo J Caballero & Kevin Cowan & Jonathan Kearns, 2004. "Fear of Sudden Stops: Lessons from Australia and Chile," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp2004-03, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Jonathan Kearns & Ricardo J. Caballero & Kevin Cowan, 2004. "Fear of Sudden Stops: lessons from Australia and Chile," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 185, Econometric Society.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Kevin Cowan & Jonathan Kearns, 2005. "Fear of Sudden Stops: Lessons from Australia and Chile," Research Department Publications 4363, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen & Ratha, Artatrana, 2008. "Exchange rate sensitivity of US bilateral trade flows," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 129-141, June.
- Karfakis, Costas & Phipps, Anthony, 1999. "Modeling the Australian Dollar-US Dollar Exchange Rate Using Cointegration Techniques," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(2), pages 265-279, May.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee, 1998. "Cointegration Approach to Estimate the Long-Run Trade Elasticities in LDCs," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(3), pages 89-96.
- Marquez, Jaime, 1990. "Bilateral Trade Elasticities," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(1), pages 70-77, February.
- Carrere, Celine & Schiff, Maurice, 2004.
"On the geography of trade : distance is alive and well,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3206, The World Bank.
- Céline Carrère & Maurice Schiff, 2005. "On the Geography of Trade. Distance is Alive and Well," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 56(6), pages 1249-1274.
- Céline CARRERE & Maurice SCHIFF, 2004. "On the Geography of Trade: Distance is Alive and Well," Working Papers 200423, CERDI.
- repec:eme:jespps:v:32:y:2005:i:5:p:455-467 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cushman, David O., 1987. "U.S. bilateral trade balances and the dollar," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 363-367.
- Saikkonen, Pentti & L tkepohl, Helmut & Trenkler, Carsten, 2006. "Break Date Estimation For Var Processes With Level Shift With An Application To Cointegration Testing," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(01), pages 15-68, February.
- Paresh Kumar Narayan & Russell Smyth, 2006. "The dynamic relationship between real exchange rates, real interest rates and foreign exchange reserves: empirical evidence from China," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(9), pages 639-651.
- Bahmani-Oskooee Mohsen & Taggert Brooks, 1999. "Cointegration Approach to Estimating Bilateral Trade Elasticities Between U.S. and Her Trading Partners," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(4), pages 119-128.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen & Goswami, Gour Gobinda, 2004. "Exchange rate sensitivity of Japan's bilateral trade flows," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 1-15, January.
- repec:eme:jespps:v:28:y:2001:i:2:p:106-121 is not listed on IDEAS
- Joakim Westerlund & David L. Edgerton, 2007.
"New Improved Tests for Cointegration with Structural Breaks,"
Journal of Time Series Analysis,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(2), pages 188-224, 03.
- Westerlund, Joakim & Edgerton , David, 2006. "New Improved Tests for Cointegration with Structural Breaks," Working Papers 2006:3, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Marcos Sanso & Antonio Montanes, 2002. "Cointegration, error correction mechanism and trade liberalization: the case of the Spanish imports of manufactures," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(2), pages 231-240.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Gour G. Goswami & Bidyut Kumar Talukdar, 2005. "The Bilateral J-Curve: Australia Versus Her 23 Trading Partners," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(2), pages 110-120, 06.
- Bryn Battersby & Robert Ewing, 2005. "International Trade Performance: The Gravity of Australia's Remoteness," Treasury Working Papers 2005-03, The Treasury, Australian Government, revised Jun 2005.
- Stephen Kyereme, 2002. "Determinants of United States' trade balance with Australia," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(10), pages 1241-1250.
- Summary, Rebecca M, 1989. "A Political-Economic Model of U.S. Bilateral Trade," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(1), pages 179-182, February.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen & Goswamil, Gour G. & Talukdar, Bidyut Kumar, 2005. "Exchange rate sensitivity of the Canadian bilateral inpayments and outpayments," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 745-757, July.
- Swift, Robyn, 2004. "The pass-through of exchange rate changes to the prices of Australian exports of dairy and livestock products," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 48(1), March.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Zohre Ardalani, 2006. "Exchange Rate Sensitivity of U.S. Trade Flows: Evidence from Industry Data," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 72(3), pages 542-559, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uow:depec1:wp07-20. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Siminski)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.