Measures of Prices and Price Competitiveness in International Trade in Manufactured Goods
The purpose of this paper is to present, and to explain the construction of, a set of price indexes relating to international trade in manufactured goods. These include: 1. Indexes of export prices for the U.S., Germany, and Japan, based on their weights, and indexes of competitors' prices for each of those countries based on the sane set of weights; 2. Indexes of domestic prices for the U. S., Germany, and Japan based on export weights; 3. Indexes for developed country exports of manufactures based on weights of developed country exports of manufactures to developing countries and of total developed country exports of manufactures, and indexes for exports of the U.S., Germany, and Japan on the sane sets of weights. The indexes for developed country exports make use of a method for estimating missing prices that takes account not only of contemporaneous price changes in the same country within the sane community groups, but also of price changes for the particular commodity in other countries. Comparisons are made between movements of domestic and export prices and between price indexes based on weights of early and late base years. In addition, an attempt is made to correct the price indexes for changes in the quality of some manufactured goods not usually taken account of in measures of export or import prices.
|Date of creation:||Sep 1990|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as International Economic Transactions: Issues in Measurement and Empirical Research, edited by Peter Hooper and J. David Richardson, pp. 144-195. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press, 1991.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert J. Gordon, 1990. "The Measurement of Durable Goods Prices," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number gord90-1, September.
- Irving B. Kravis & Robert E. Lipsey & Dennis M. Bushe, 1980.
"Prices and Market Shares in the International Machinery Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
0521, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kravis, Irving B & Lipsey, Robert E, 1982. "Prices and Market Shares in the International Machinery Trade," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 64(1), pages 110-16, February.
- Summers, Robert, 1973. "International Price Comparisons Based Upon Incomplete Data," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 19(1), pages 1-16, March.
- Baldwin, Richard, 1988.
"Hyteresis in Import Prices: The Beachhead Effect,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 78(4), pages 773-85, September.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1987.
"Exchange Rates and Prices,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 77(1), pages 93-106, March.
- repec:ucp:bknber:9780226304557 is not listed on IDEAS
- Irving B. Kravis & Robert E. Lipsey, 1971. "Price Competitiveness in World Trade," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number krav71-1, September.
- Sven W. Arndt & J. David Richardson, 1987. "Real-Financial Linkages Among Open Economies," NBER Working Papers 2230, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kenichi Ohno, 1989. "Export Pricing Behavior of Manufacturing: A U.S.: Japan Comparison," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 36(3), pages 550-579, September.
- Angermann, Oswald, 1980. "External Terms of Trade of the Federal Republic of Germany Using Differing Methods of Deflation," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 26(4), pages 367-85, December.
- Bushe, Dennis M & Kravis, Irving B & Lipsey, Robert E, 1986. "Prices, Activity, and Machinery Exports: An Analysis Based on New Price Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(2), pages 248-55, May.
- Goldstein, Morris & Khan, Mohsin S., 1985. "Income and price effects in foreign trade," Handbook of International Economics, in: R. W. Jones & P. B. Kenen (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 20, pages 1041-1105 Elsevier.
- Richard C. Marston, 1989. "Pricing to Market in Japanese Manufacturing," NBER Working Papers 2905, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert E. Lipsey, 1963. "Price and Quantity Trends in the Foreign Trade of the United States," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number lips63-1, September.
- Robert E. Lipsey, 1963. "Introduction to "Price and Quantity Trends in the Foreign Trade of the United States"," NBER Chapters, in: Price and Quantity Trends in the Foreign Trade of the United States, pages 3-7 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:3442. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.