Modelling Manufactured imports: Methodological Issues with Evidence From Australia
This paper investigates the relationship between manufactured import flows to Australia, and relative prices and domestic economic activity net of cyclical demand effects over the period 1981Q3 to 1991Q2. This is done through the estimation of import demand functions for total manufactured imports and nine major import categories using the general to specific modeling approach. We find that the homotheticity assumption on activity elasticity is met in most cases. The price elasticity estimates for individual categories range from 0.32 to 2.1, with a weighted-average of 0.52. We also find some evidence of upward bias in price elasticity estimates when an aggregate import function is employed in a context where a significant portion of imports are subject to quantitative restrictions (QRs).
|Date of creation:||Apr 1995|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 14428, Melbourne, Victoria, 8001|
Phone: 03 9919 1877
Web page: http://www.copsmodels.com/about.htm
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Goldstein, Morris & Khan, Mohsin S., 1985. "Income and price effects in foreign trade," Handbook of International Economics, in: R. W. Jones & P. B. Kenen (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 20, pages 1041-1105 Elsevier.
- Jayant Menon, 1993. "Import Price and Activity Elasticities for the MONASH Model: Johansen FIML Estimation of Cointegration Vectors," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers ip-58, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
- Robert E. Lipsey & Linda Molinari & Irving B. Kravis, 1990.
"Measures of Prices and Price Competitiveness in International Trade in Manufactured Goods,"
NBER Working Papers
3442, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert E. Lipsey & Linda Molinari & Irving B. Kravis, 1991. "Measures of Prices and Price Competitiveness in International Trade in Manufactured Goods," NBER Chapters, in: International Economic Transactions: Issues in Measurement and Empirical Research, pages 144-199 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gordon, J M, 1986. "The J-Curve Effects," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 0(0), pages 82-88, Supplemen.
- Andrew C. Harvey, 1990. "The Econometric Analysis of Time Series, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 2, volume 1, number 026208189x, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cop:wpaper:g-112. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Horridge)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.