Doomed to Deficits? Aggregate U.S. Trade Flows Re-Examined
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version below or search for a different version of it.
Other versions of this item:
- Menzie D. Chinn, 2003. "Doomed to Deficits? Aggregate U.S. Trade Flows Re-Examined," NBER Working Papers 9521, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
References listed on IDEAS
- Rose, Andrew K. & Yellen, Janet L., 1989. "Is there a J-curve?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 53-68, July.
- Dominique Desruelle & Alessandro Zanello, 1997. "A Primeron the IMF's Information Notice System," IMF Working Papers 97/71, International Monetary Fund.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- repec:wsi:wschap:9789814749589_0001 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ellen E. Meade, 1991.
"Computers and the Trade Deficit: The Case of the Falling Prices,"
NBER Chapters,in: International Economic Transactions: Issues in Measurement and Empirical Research, pages 61-88
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ellen E. Meade, 1990. "Computers and the trade deficit: the case of the falling prices," International Finance Discussion Papers 378, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Karl Whelan, 2000. "A guide to the use of chain aggregated NIPA data," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2000-35, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Krugman, Paul, 1989.
"Differences in income elasticities and trends in real exchange rates,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 1031-1046, May.
- Paul Krugman, 1988. "Differences In Income Elasticities and Trends in Real Exchange Rates," NBER Working Papers 2761, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Boyd, Derick & Caporale, Gugielmo Maria & Smith, Ron, 2001. "Real Exchange Rate Effects on the Balance of Trade: Cointegration and the Marshall-Lerner Condition," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(3), pages 187-200, July.
- Morris Goldstein & Mohsin S. Khan, 2017. "Income and Price Effects in Foreign Trade," World Scientific Book Chapters,in: TRADE CURRENCIES AND FINANCE, chapter 1, pages 3-81 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Robert Z. Lawrence, 1990. "U.S. Current Account Adjustment: An Appraisal," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 21(2), pages 343-392.
- Rose, Andrew K., 1991. "The role of exchange rates in a popular model of international trade : Does the 'Marshall-Lerner' condition hold?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3-4), pages 301-316, May.
- Michael P. Leahy, 1998. "New summary measures of the foreign exchange value of the dollar," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Oct, pages 811-818.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Lai, Kon S, 1993. "Finite-Sample Sizes of Johansen's Likelihood Ration Tests for Conintegration," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 55(3), pages 313-328, August.
- Catherine L. Mann, 2002. "Perspectives on the U.S. Current Account Deficit and Sustainability," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(3), pages 131-152, Summer.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Houthakker, Hendrik S & Magee, Stephen P, 1969. "Income and Price Elasticities in World Trade," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 51(2), pages 111-125, May.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Yoko Oguro, 2007. "The Influence of Intra-Industry Trade on Export Sensitivity to Exchange Rates," Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series d07-222, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Anwar Shaikh & Gennaro Zezza & Claudio dos Santos, "undated". "Is International Growth the Way Out of U.S. Current Account Deficits? A Note of Caution," Economics Policy Note Archive 03-6, Levy Economics Institute.
- . Atiq-ur-Rehman, 2017. "On Using Exchange Rate for Promoting Exports," Working Papers id:12176, eSocialSciences.
- Katsimi, Margarita & Moutos, Thomas, 2011. "Inequality and the US import demand function," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 492-506, April.
- Chinn, Menzie D., 2010. "Supply Capacity, Vertical Specialisation andTrade Costs: The Implications for Aggreagate US Trade Flow Equations," CAGE Online Working Paper Series 14, Competitive Advantage in the Global Economy (CAGE).
- Holmes Mark J. & Panagiotidis Theodore, 2009.
"Cointegration and Asymmetric Adjustment: Some New Evidence Concerning the Behavior of the U.S. Current Account,"
The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics,
De Gruyter, vol. 9(1), pages 1-25, June.
- Mark J. Holmes & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2009. "Cointegration and asymmetric adjustment: Some new evidence concerning the behaviour of the US current account," Discussion Paper Series 2009_11, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, revised May 2009.
- Mark J. Holmes & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2009. "Cointegration And Asymmetric Adjustment: Some New Evidence Concerning The Behaviour Of The Us Current Account," Working Paper series 16_09, Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- THORBECKE, Willem, 2009. "Can East Asia be an Engine of Growth for the World Economy?," Discussion papers 09006, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis P. & Bardaka, Ioanna C., 2010.
"New trade theory, non-price competitiveness and export performance,"
Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 217-228, January.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis & Bardaka, Ioanna, 2010. "New trade theory, non-price competitiveness and export performance," MPRA Paper 32047, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Landon, Stuart & Smith, Constance E., 2007. "The exchange rate and machinery and equipment imports: Identifying the impact of import source and export destination country currency valuation changes," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 3-21, February.
- Panayiotis P. Athanasoglou & Ioanna C. Bardaka, 2008. "Price and Non - Price Competitiveness of Exports of Manufactures," Working Papers 69, Bank of Greece.
- Claudio H. dos Santos & Anwar Shaikh & Gennaro Zezza, 2003.
"Measures of the Real GDP of US Trading Partners: Methodology and Results,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
wp_387, Levy Economics Institute.
- Claudio H. Dos Santos & Anwar M. Shaikh & Gennaro Zezza, 2003. "Measures of the Real GDP of U.S. Trading Partners: Methodology and Results," International Trade 0309021, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jongwanich, Juthathip, 2009. "Equilibrium Real Exchange Rate, Misalignment, and Export Performance in Developing Asia," ADB Economics Working Paper Series 151, Asian Development Bank.
- Ioannis Bournakis, 2014. "Costs, knowledge and market structure: understanding the puzzle of international competitiveness with Greek export data," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(2), pages 240-269, March.
- Sasaki, Yuri & Yoshida, Yushi, 2018. "Decomposition of Japan's trade balance," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 56(C), pages 507-537.
- ANDO Mitsuyo & IRIYAMA Akie, 2009. "International Production Networks and Export/Import Responsiveness to Exchange Rates: The case of Japanese manufacturing firms," Discussion papers 09049, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Yoko Oguro & Kyoji Fukao & Yougesh Khatri, 2008. "Trade Sensitivity to Exchange Rates in the Context of Intra-Industry Trade," IMF Working Papers 08/134, International Monetary Fund.
- Diego Bastourre & Luis Casanova & Alejo Espora, 2011. "Tipo de Cambio Real y Crecimiento: Síntesis de la Evidencia y Agenda de Investigación," Department of Economics, Working Papers 082, Departamento de Economía, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Janet Ceglowski, 2014. "Has Trade Become More Responsive to Income? Assessing the Evidence for US Imports," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 225-241, April.
- Florian Verheyen, 2014. "The stability of German export demand equations – have German exports suffered from the strength of the euro?," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 11(4), pages 529-548, December.
- Blanchard, Olivier & Giavazzi, Francesco & Sá, Filipa, 2005. "The US Current Account and the Dollar," CEPR Discussion Papers 4888, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Allegret, Jean-Pierre & Sallenave, Audrey, 2014.
"The impact of real exchange rates adjustments on global imbalances: A multilateral approach,"
Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 149-163.
- Jean-Pierre Allegret & Audrey Sallenave, 2014. "The impact of real exchange rates adjustments on global imbalances: a multilateral approach," Post-Print hal-01385910, HAL.
- Chiu, Yi-Bin & Sun, Chia-Hung D., 2016. "The role of savings rate in exchange rate and trade imbalance nexus: Cross-countries evidence," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 52(PB), pages 1017-1025.
- Mizanur RAHMAN & Willem THORBECKE, 2007. "How Would China's Exports be Affected by a Unilateral Appreciation of the RMB and a Joint Appreciation of Countries Supplying Intermediate Imports?," Discussion papers 07012, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
More about this item
KeywordsImports; exports; elasticities; competitiveness; unit labor costs;
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:weltar:v:141:y:2005:i:3:p:460-485. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla) or (Rebekah McClure). General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.