The asymmetric effect of income on import demand in Greece
This paper presents empirical evidence supporting the argument that a significant asymmetry exists in the income elasticity of Greek imports. Using multivariate cointegration techniques for the estimation of long-run imports we derive short-run error correction equations that separate income elasticities for periods when income is rising and periods when it is falling. The empirical results show that the response of imports to rising income is stronger than the response of imports to falling income. The important policy implication of this asymmetry is that a consecutively positive growth would lead imports to continuously increase causing the current account deficit to persistently widen.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Tsangyao Chang & Yuan-Hong Ho & Chiung-Ju Huang, 2005. "A Reexamination Of South Korea¡¯S Aggregate Import Demand Function: The Bounds Test Analysis," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 30(1), pages 119-128, June.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Dipendra Sinha & Tapen Sinha, 2000. "An aggregate import demand function for greece," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 28(2), pages 196-209, June.
- Athukorala, Premachandra & Menon, Jayant, 1995.
"Modeling manufactured imports: Methodological issues with evidence from Australia,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 667-675, December.
- Premachandra Athukorala & Jayant Menon, 1995. "Modelling Manufactured imports: Methodological Issues with Evidence From Australia," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers g-112, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987.
"Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015. "Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Houthakker, Hendrik S & Magee, Stephen P, 1969. "Income and Price Elasticities in World Trade," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 51(2), pages 111-25, May.
- Engle, R. & Hendry, D., 1990.
"Testing Super Exogeneity And Invariance In Regression Models,"
Economics Series Working Papers
99100, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Engle, Robert F. & Hendry, David F., 1993. "Testing superexogeneity and invariance in regression models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1-2), pages 119-139, March.
- Costas Milas, 1998. "Demand for Greek imports using multivariate cointegration techniques," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(11), pages 1483-1492.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bog:wpaper:159. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christina Tsochatzi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.