Price discrimination and market power in export markets: The case of the ceramic tile industry
This paper combines the pricing-to-market equation and the residual demand elasticity equation to measure the extent of competition in the export markets of ceramic tiles, which has been dominated by Italian and Spanish producers since the late eighties. The findings show that the tile exporters enjoyed substantial market power over the period 1988-1998, and limited evidence that the export market has become more competitive over time.
Volume (Year): VIII (2005)
Issue (Month): (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (5411) 6314-3000
Fax: (5411) 4314-1654
Web page: http://www.cema.edu.ar/publicaciones/jae.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rudiger Dornbusch, 1985.
"Exchange Rates and Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
1769, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hausman, Jerry A, 1978.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1251-71, November.
- Pinelopi K. Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1995.
"Measuring the Intensity of Competition in Export Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
5226, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Goldberg, Pinelopi Koujianou & Knetter, Michael M., 1999. "Measuring the intensity of competition in export markets," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 27-60, February.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Paul Klemperer, 1989.
"Exchange Rate Pass-Through When Market Share Matters,"
NBER Working Papers
2542, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Froot, Kenneth A & Klemperer, Paul D, 1989. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through When Market Share Matters," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(4), pages 637-54, September.
- Knetter, Michael M, 1989. "Price Discrimination by U.S. and German Exporters," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 198-210, March.
- Gross, Dominique M. & Schmitt, Nicolas, 2000.
"Exchange rate pass-through and dynamic oligopoly: an empirical investigation,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 89-112, October.
- Dominique M. Gross & Nicolas Schmitt, 1999. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through and Dynamic Oligopoly; An Empirical Investigation," IMF Working Papers 99/47, International Monetary Fund.
- Bernstein, Jeffrey I, 1994.
"Exports, Margins and Productivity Growth: With an Application to the Canadian Softwood Lumber Industry,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 76(2), pages 291-301, May.
- Bernstein, J.I., 1992. "Exports, Margins and Productivity Growth: with an Application to the Canadian Softwood Lumber Industry," Working Papers 92-23, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Aw, Bee-Yan, 1993. "Price discrimination and markups in export markets," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 315-336, December.
- Steen, Frode & Salvanes, Kjell G., 1999.
"Testing for market power using a dynamic oligopoly model,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 147-177, February.
- Salvanes, K.G. & Steen, F., 1995. "Testing for Market Power Using a Dynamic OLigopoly Model," Papers 13/95, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Kadiyali, Vrinda, 1997. "Exchange rate pass-through for strategic pricing and advertising: An empirical analysis of the U.S. photographic film industry," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3-4), pages 437-461, November.
- Sullivan, Daniel, 1985. "Testing Hypotheses about Firm Behavior in the Cigarette Industry," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(3), pages 586-98, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cem:jaecon:v:8:y:2005:n:2:p:347-370. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valeria Dowding)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.