Exchange rate pass-through and dynamic oligopoly: an empirical investigation
This paper explicitly takes into account the dynamic oligopolistic rivalry among source producers to evaluate the degree of exchange rate pass-through. Using recent time-series techniques for the case of imported automobiles in Switzerland, the results show that prices are strategic complements and that the degree of pass-through is lower in the long run than in the short run. We attribute this to the fact that, although some rivals match long-term price changes, others do not, inducing the producer who faces a change in exchange rate to absorb a greater proportion of the variation.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1987.
"Exchange Rates and Prices,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 77(1), pages 93-106, March.
- Johansen, Soren, 1992. "Cointegration in partial systems and the efficiency of single-equation analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 389-402, June.
- Søren Johansen & Katarina Juselius, 1992.
"Identification of the Long-Run and the Short-Run Structure: An Application to the ISLM Model,"
92-04, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1994. "Identification of the long-run and the short-run structure an application to the ISLM model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 7-36, July.
- Froot, Kenneth A & Klemperer, Paul D, 1989.
"Exchange Rate Pass-Through When Market Share Matters,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 79(4), pages 637-54, September.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Paul Klemperer, 1988. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through When Market Share Matters," NBER Working Papers 2542, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Johansen, S., 1991.
"Testing Weak Exogeneity and the Order of Cointegration in UK Money Demand Data,"
78, Helsinki - Department of Economics.
- Johansen, Soren, 1992. "Testing weak exogeneity and the order of cointegration in UK money demand data," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 313-334, June.
- Pinelopi Koujianou Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1997.
"Goods Prices and Exchange Rates: What Have We Learned?,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 35(3), pages 1243-1272, September.
- Pinelopi K. Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1996. "Goods Prices and Exchange Rates: What Have We Learned?," NBER Working Papers 5862, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1987.
"Symmetric Pass-Through of Tariffs and Exchange Rates Under Imperfect Competition: An Empirical Test,"
NBER Working Papers
2453, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feenstra, Robert C., 1989. "Symmetric pass-through of tariffs and exchange rates under imperfect competition: An empirical test," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1-2), pages 25-45, August.
- Dickey, David A & Rossana, Robert J, 1994. "Cointegrated Time Series: A Guide to Estimation and Hypothesis Testing," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 56(3), pages 325-53, August.
- Athukorala, Premachandra & Menon, Jayant, 1995.
"Exchange Rates and Strategic Pricing: The Case of Swedish Machinery Exports,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 57(4), pages 533-46, November.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Jayant Manon, 1994. "Exchange Rates and Strategic Pricing: the Case of Swedish Machinery Exports," Working Papers 1994.08, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1981. "Departures from marginal-cost pricing in the American automobile industry : Estimates for 1977-1978," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 201-227, November.
- MERTENS, Yves & GINSBURGH, Victor, .
"Product differentiation and price discrimination in the European Community: The case of automobiles,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-672, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Mertens, Yves & Ginsburgh, Victor, 1985. "Product Differentiation and Price Discrimination in the European Community: The Case of Automobiles," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(2), pages 151-66, December.
- Feenstra, Robert C. & Gagnon, Joseph E. & Knetter, Michael M., 1996.
"Market share and exchange rate pass-through in world automobile trade,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(1-2), pages 187-207, February.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Joseph E. Gagnon & Michael M. Knetter., 1993. "Market share and exchange rate pass-through in world automobile trade," International Finance Discussion Papers 446, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Feenstra, R.C. & Gagnon, J.E. & Knetter, M.M., 1993. "Market Share and Exchange Rate Pass-Through in World Automobile Trade," Papers 93-14, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Joseph E. Gagnon & Michael M. Knetter, 1993. "Market Share and Exchange Rate Pass-Through in World Automobile Trade," NBER Working Papers 4399, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dominique Gross & Nicolas Schmitt, 1996. "Exchange rate pass-through and rivalry in the Swiss automobile market," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 132(2), pages 278-303, September.
- repec:ltr:wpaper:1992.32 is not listed on IDEAS
- Tivig, Thusnelda, 1996. "Exchange rate pass-through in two-period duopoly," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 631-645, July.
- Goldberg, Pinelopi Koujianou, 1995. "Product Differentiation and Oligopoly in International Markets: The Case of the U.S. Automobile Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(4), pages 891-951, July.
- Berry, Steven & Levinsohn, James & Pakes, Ariel, 1995. "Automobile Prices in Market Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(4), pages 841-90, July.
- Sven W. Arndt & J. David Richardson, 1987. "Real-Financial Linkages Among Open Economies," NBER Working Papers 2230, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Klemperer, Paul, 1995. "Competition When Consumers Have Switching Costs: An Overview with Applications to Industrial Organization, Macroeconomics, and International Trade," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(4), pages 515-39, October.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Jayant Menon, 1992.
"Pricing to Market Behaviour and Exchange Rate Pass-Through in Japanese Exports,"
1992.32, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Athukorala, Premachandra & Menon, Jayant, 1994. "Pricing to Market Behaviour and Exchange Rate Pass-Through in Japanese Exports," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(423), pages 271-81, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:inecon:v:52:y:2000:i:1:p:89-112. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.