Exchange Rates and Strategic Pricing: The Case of Swedish Machinery Exports
This paper examines the impact of exchange-rate changes on export pricing behavior through the estimation of export price equations for Swedish exports of machinery and transport equipment and four subcategories therein. The results support the pricing to market hypothesis that exporters adjust their profit margins in response to exchange-rate changes or remain competitive in the world market. Thus, the main conclusion of this study is that no matter how small a country is in terms of its market share, if specialized in a range of products, there is no presumption that it is a price-taker in the world market. Copyright 1995 by Blackwell Publishing Ltd
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 57 (1995)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0305-9049
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=0305-9049|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tilak Abeysinghe & Tan Lin Yeok, 1998. "Exchange rate appreciation and export competitiveness. The case of Singapore," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(1), pages 51-55.
- Aw, Bee Yan & Batra, Geeta & Roberts, Mark J., 2001. "Firm heterogeneity and export-domestic price differentials: A study of Taiwanese electronics products," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 149-169, June.
- Gross, Dominique M. & Schmitt, Nicolas, 2000.
"Exchange rate pass-through and dynamic oligopoly: an empirical investigation,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 89-112, October.
- Dominique M. Gross & Nicolas Schmitt, 1999. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through and Dynamic Oligopoly; An Empirical Investigation," IMF Working Papers 99/47, International Monetary Fund.
- Roberto Basile & Anna Giunta & Jeffrey B. Nugent, 2003.
"Foreign Expansion by Italian Manufacturing Firms in the Nineties: an Ordered Probit Analysis,"
- Roberto Basile & Anna Giunta & Jeffrey Nugent, 2003. "Foreign Expansion by Italian Manufacturing Firms in the Nineties: an Ordered Probit Analysis," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 1-24, August.
- Salvador Gil-Pareja, 2000. "Exchange rates and European countries’ export prices: An empirical test for asymmetries in pricing to market behavior," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 136(1), pages 1-23, March.
- Fang, WenShwo & Lai, YiHao & Thompson, Henry, 2007. "Exchange rates, exchange risk, and Asian export revenue," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 237-254.
- Menon, Jayant, 1995. "The Relationship between the Law of One Price and Exchange Rate Pass-through," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 48(4), pages 551-568.
- Eleanor Doyle, 2004. "Exchange rate pass-through in a small open economy: the Anglo-Irish case," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(5), pages 443-455.
- Michael Bleaney, 1997. "Invoicing-Currency Effects in the Pricing of Japanese Exports of Manufactures," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 30(4), pages 968-74, November.
- Menon, Jayant, 1996. "The Degree and Determinants of Exchange Rate Pass-through: Market Structure, Non-tariff Barriers and Multinational Corporations," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(435), pages 434-44, March.
- Aksoy, Yunus & Riyanto, Yohanes E, 2000. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through in Vertically Related Markets," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(2), pages 235-51, May.
- Douglas Steel & Alan King, 2004. "Exchange Rate Pass-through: The Role of Regime Changes," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(3), pages 301-322.
- Rtta Hanninen & Anne Toppinen, 1999. "Long-run price effects of exchange rate changes in Finnish pulp and paper exports," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(8), pages 947-956.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:obuest:v:57:y:1995:i:4:p:533-46. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.