Foreign Expansion by Italian Manufacturing Firms in the Nineties: an Ordered Probit Analysis
This paper develops a foreign expansion index (FEI) of the firm which integrates various dimensions of commitment to internationalization, i.e. exports, foreign penetration operations and FDI. This study focuses on Italy, constructing FEIs for each of some 4,000 firms for three periods characterized by different exchange rate regimes. The determinants of FEI in each period are studied through the use of an ordered probit model. The findings suggest that: a) firm size, inter- firm relations, innovation capabilities, location and technology are all highly significant determinants of FEI, but their impact on the foreign expansion is influenced by the exchange rate regime.
|Date of creation:||06 Dec 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||Type of Document - Word doc; pages: 26; figures: 1. None|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Seev Hirsch & Ilan Bijaoui, 1985. "R&D intensity and export performance: A micro view," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 121(2), pages 238-251, June.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Jayant Menon, 1992.
"Pricing to Market Behaviour and Exchange Rate Pass-Through in Japanese Exports,"
1992.32, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Athukorala, Premachandra & Menon, Jayant, 1994. "Pricing to Market Behaviour and Exchange Rate Pass-Through in Japanese Exports," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(423), pages 271-81, March.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Jayant Menon, 1992. "Pricing to Market Behaviour and Exchange Rate Pass-Through in Japanese Exports," Working Papers 1992.32 EDIRC Provider-In, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Davide Castellani, 2002. "Export behavior and productivity growth: Evidence from Italian manufacturing firms," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 138(4), pages 605-628, December.
- Harvey, A C, 1976. "Estimating Regression Models with Multiplicative Heteroscedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(3), pages 461-65, May.
- Lipsey, Robert E & Weiss, Merle Yahr, 1984. "Foreign Production and Exports of Individual Firms," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 66(2), pages 304-08, May.
- Guido Nassimbeni & Alberto De Toni, 2000. "La propensione esportativa della piccola impresa: un confronto empirico tra unità esportatrici e non esportatrici," ECONOMIA E POLITICA INDUSTRIALE, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2000(105).
- Linsu Kim & Jeffrey B. Nugent & Seung-Jae Yhee, 1997. "Transaction Costs And Export Channels Of Small And Medium-Sized Enterprises: The Case Of Korea," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 15(1), pages 104-120, 01.
- Bagella Michele & Becchetti Leonardo, 1999. "Effetto distretto e performance delle esportazioni sotto diversi regimi di cambio: analisi empirica e implicazioni per l'Euro," Politica economica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 225-252.
- Basile, Roberto, 2001. "Export behaviour of Italian manufacturing firms over the nineties: the role of innovation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(8), pages 1185-1201, October.
- Lall, Sanjaya, 1980. "Monopolistic Advantages and Foreign Involvement by U.S. Manufacturing Industry," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(1), pages 102-22, March.
- Wakelin, Katharine, 1998. "Innovation and export behaviour at the firm level," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(7-8), pages 829-841, April.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1981. "Qualitative Response Models: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 19(4), pages 1483-1536, December.
- Andrea Bonaccorsi, 1992. "On the Relationship Between Firm Size and Export Intensity," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 23(4), pages 605-635, December.
- Alessandro STERLACCHINI, 2000. "The determinants of export performance: A firmlevel study in Italian Manufacturing," Working Papers 142, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Feinberg, Robert M., 1992. "Hysteresis and export targeting," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 679-684, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpio:0312001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.