A Joint Test of Price Discrimination, Menu Cost and Currency Invoicing
This paper investigates price discriminating behaviour and currency invoicing decisions of Canadian pork exporters in the presence of menu costs. It is shown that when export prices are negotiated in the exporter’s currency, menu costs cause threshold effects in the sense that there are bounds within (outside of) which price adjustments are not (are) observed. Conversely, the pass-through is not interrupted by menu costs when export prices are denominated in the importer’s currency. The empirical model focuses on pork meat exports from two Canadian provinces to the U.S. and Japan. Hansen’s (2000) threshold estimation procedure is used to jointly test for currency invoicing and incomplete pass-through in the presence of menu costs. Inference is conducted using the bootstrap with pre-pivoting methods to deal with nuisance parameters. The existence of menu cost is supported by the data in three of the four cases. It also appears that Quebec pork exporters price discriminate and invoice in Japanese yen their exports to Japan. Manitoba exporters also seem to follow the same invoicing strategy, but their ability to increase their profit margin in response to large enough own-currency devaluations is questionable. Our currency invoicing results for sales to the U.S. are consistent with subsets of Canadian firms using either the Canadian or U.S. currency.
|Date of creation:||02 Jun 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Knetter, Michael M., 1994. "Is export price adjustment asymmetric?: evaluating the market share and marketing bottlenecks hypotheses," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 55-70, February.
- Bruce E. Hansen, 1996.
"Sample Splitting and Threshold Estimation,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
319., Boston College Department of Economics, revised 12 May 1998.
- Kiyotaka Sato, 2003. "Currency Invoicing in Japanese Exports to East Asia: Implications for Yen Internationalization," Asian Economic Journal, East Asian Economic Association, vol. 17(2), pages 129-154, 06.
- McCullough, B D & Vinod, H D, 1998. "Implementing the Double Bootstrap," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 12(1), pages 79-95, August.
- Paul R. Bergin & Robert C. Feenstra, .
"Pricing To Market, Staggered Contracts, And Real Exchange Rate Persistence,"
Department of Economics
99-01, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Bergin, Paul R. & Feenstra, Robert C., 2001. "Pricing-to-market, staggered contracts, and real exchange rate persistence," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 333-359, August.
- Paul R. Bergin & Robert C. Feenstra, 1999. "Pricing to Market, Staggered Contracts, and Real Exchange Rate Persistence," NBER Working Papers 7026, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert Feenstra & Paul Bergin, 2003. "Pricing To Market, Staggered Contracts, And Real Exchange Rate Persistence," Working Papers 991, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Sasaki, Yuri Nagataki, 2002. "Pricing-to-Market Behavior: Japanese Exports to the US, Asia, and the EU," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(1), pages 140-50, February.
- Shabtai Donnenfeld & Alfred Haug, 2003. "Currency Invoicing in International Trade: an Empirical Investigation," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(2), pages 332-345, 05.
- Gil-Pareja, Salvador, 2002. "Export Price Discrimination in Europe and Exchange Rates," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(2), pages 299-312, May.
- Johnson, Martin & Pick, Daniel, 1997. "Currency Quandary: The Choice of Invoicing Currency under Exchange-Rate Uncertainty," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(1), pages 118-28, February.
- Knetter, Michael M, 1989. "Price Discrimination by U.S. and German Exporters," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 198-210, March.
- Bruno Lame & Robert Romain & Jean-Philippe Gervais & Sami Ben Salha, 2000. "The Collusion-deterring Effect of Pre-attributed Supplies and the Hog Auction in Quebec," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 48(4), pages 607-622, December.
- Griffith, Garry R. & Mullen, John D., 2001. "Pricing-to-market in NSW rice export markets," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 45(3), September.
- Merih Uctum, 2003. "Pricing-to-Market: the Japanese Experience with a Falling Yen and the Asian Crisis," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(2), pages 360-378, 05.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:565. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.