Collateralized Borrowing and Risk Taking at Low Interest Rates?
A view advanced in the aftermath of the late-2000s fi?nancial crisis is that lower than optimal interest rates lead to excessive risk taking by fi?nancial intermediaries. We evaluate this view in a quantitative dynamic model where interest rate policy affects risk taking through two channels. First, policy influences the attractiveness of safe bond investments relative to riskier assets. Moreover, policy changes the amount of safe bonds available for collateralized borrowing in interbank markets. In this framework, collateral constraints provide a safeguard against increases in risk taking. Lower than optimal policy rates lead to tighter collateral constraints and reduce risk taking.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 519-661-2111 Ext.85244
Web page: http://economics.uwo.ca/research/research_papers/epri_workingpapers.html
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Hördahl & Michael R King, 2008. "Developments in repo markets during the financial turmoil," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, December.
- Harding, Don & Pagan, Adrian, 2002.
"Dissecting the cycle: a methodological investigation,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 365-381, March.
- Don Harding & Adrian Pagan, 2000. "Disecting the Cycle: A Methodological Investigation," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1164, Econometric Society.
- Eisfeldt, Andrea L. & Rampini, Adriano A., 2006. "Capital reallocation and liquidity," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 369-399, April.
- Delis, Manthos D & Kouretas, Georgios, 2010.
"Interest rates and bank risk-taking,"
20132, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Arvind Krishnamurthy & Stefan Nagel & Dmitry Orlov, 2014.
"Sizing Up Repo,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 69(6), pages 2381-2417, December.
- Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Robert Marquez & Luc Laeven, 2010.
"Monetary Policy, Leverage, and Bank Risk-Taking,"
IMF Working Papers
10/276, International Monetary Fund.
- Itai Agur & Maria Demertzis, 2010.
"Monetary Policy and Excessive Bank Risk Taking,"
DNB Working Papers
271, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Giovanni Dell'Ariccia, 2010. "Monetary Policy and Bank Risk-Taking," IMF Staff Position Notes 2010/09, International Monetary Fund.
- Dubecq, S. & Mojon, B. & Ragot, X., 2009. "Fuzzy Capital Requirements, Risk-Shifting and the Risk Taking Channel of Monetary Policy," Working papers 254, Banque de France.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Raghuram G. Rajan, 2009. "Illiquidity and Interest Rate Policy," NBER Working Papers 15197, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwo:epuwoc:20121. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.