Risk Shifting with Fuzzy Capital Constraints
We construct a model where risk shifting can be moderated by capital requirements. Imperfect information about the level of capital per unit of risk, however, introduces uncertainty about the risk exposure of intermediaries. Over-estimation of the capital held by financial intermediaries, or the extent of regulatory arbitrage, may induce households to wrongly infer from higher asset prices that the fundamentals of risky assets have improved. This mechanism can notably explain the low risk premia paid by U.S. financial intermediaries between 2000 and 2007 in spite of their increased exposure to risk through higher leverage. Moreover, the lower the level of the risk-free interest rate, the more risk is under-estimated.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2015|
|Publication status:||Published in International Journal of Central Banking, 2015, pp.1-31|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-01157527|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barlevy, Gadi, 2014.
"A leverage-based model of speculative bubbles,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 153(C), pages 459-505.
- Gadi Barlevy, 2008. "A Leverage Based Model of Speculative Bubbles," 2008 Meeting Papers 196, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Gadi Barlevy, 2011. "A leverage-based model of speculative bubbles," Working Paper Series WP-2011-07, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Gadi Barlevy, 2008. "A leverage-based model of speculative bubbles," Working Paper Series WP-08-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- repec:hrv:faseco:33077921 is not listed on IDEAS
- Challe, Edouard & Mojon, Benoit & Ragot, Xavier, 2013. "Equilibrium risk shifting and interest rate in an opaque financial system," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 63(C), pages 117-133.
- Edouard Challe & Benoit Monjon & Xavier Ragot, 2012. "Equilibrium Risk Shifting and Interest Rate in an Opaque Financial System," Working Papers hal-00719952, HAL.
- Edouard Challe & Benoit Mojon & Xavier Ragot, 2013. "Equilibrium risk shifting and interest rate in an opaque financial system," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/2ld6ogm9lq9, Sciences Po.
- Edouard Challe & Benoît Mojon & Xavier Ragot, 2013. "Equilibrium risk shifting and interest rate in an opaque financial system," PSE - Labex "OSE-Ouvrir la Science Economique" halshs-00944916, HAL.
- Challe, E. & Mojon, B. & Ragot, X., 2012. "Equilibrium Risk Shifting and Interest Rate in an Opaque Financial System," Working papers 391, Banque de France.
- Challe Edouard & Ragot Xavier, 2011. "Bubbles and Self-Fulfilling Crises," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 11(1), pages 1-38, May.
- Edouard Challe & Xavier Ragot, 2005. "Bubbles and self fullfilling crisis," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/1qrcn1mmq68, Sciences Po.
- Edouard Challe & Xavier Ragot, 2011. "Bubbles and Self-Fulfilling Crises," Post-Print halshs-00654655, HAL.
- Edouard Challe & Xavier Ragot, 2006. "Bubbles and Self-fulfilling Crises," 2006 Meeting Papers 254, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Edouard Challe & Xavier Ragot, 2007. "Bubbles and self-fulfilling crises," PSE Working Papers halshs-00590568, HAL.
- Matteo Ciccarelli & Angela Maddaloni & Jose Luis Peydro, 2015. "Trusting the Bankers: A New Look at the Credit Channel of Monetary Policy," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 18(4), pages 979-1002, October.
- Ciccarelli, Matteo & Peydró, José-Luis & Maddaloni, Angela, 2010. "Trusting the bankers: a new look at the credit channel of monetary policy," Working Paper Series 1228, European Central Bank.
- Jiminez, G. & Ongena, S. & Saurina, J., 2007. "Hazardous Times for Monetary Policy : What do Twenty-three Million Bank Loans Say about the Effects of Monetary Policy on Credit Risk?," Discussion Paper 2007-75, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Jiménez, Gabriel & Ongena, Steven & Peydró, José Luis & Saurina, Jesús, 2007. "Hazardous Times for Monetary Policy: What Do Twenty-Three Million Bank Loans Say About the Effects of Monetary Policy on Credit Risk?," CEPR Discussion Papers 6514, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.