The strategic timing of R&D agreements
We present a model of endogenous formation of R&D agreements among firms in which also the timing of R&D investment is made endogenous. The purpose is to bridge two usually separate streams of literature, the noncooperative formation of R&D alliances and the endogenous timing literature. Our approach allows to consider the formation of R&D agreements over time. It is shown that, when both R&D spillovers and investment costs are sufficiently low, firms may find difficult to maintain a stable R&D agreement due to the strong incentive to invest noncooperatively as leaders. In such a case, to be stable a R&D agreement requires that the joint investment occurs at the initial stage, avoiding any delay. When instead R&D spillover rates are sufficiently high, the cooperation in R&D constitutes a profitable option, although firms also possess the incentive to sequence their investment over time. Finally, when spillovers are asymmetric and the knowledge leaks mainly from the leader to the follower, to invest as follower becomes extremely profitable, making R&D alliances hard to sustain unless firms strategically delay their joint investment in R&D.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.econ.uniurb.it/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hart, Sergiu & Kurz, Mordecai, 1983. "Endogenous Formation of Coalitions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(4), pages 1047-64, July.
- van Damme, E.E.C. & Hurkens, S., 2004.
"Endogenous price leadership,"
Other publications TiSEM
0bc41e9f-cede-46e7-bab6-b, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Eric van Damme & Sjaak Hurkens, 1998. "Endogenous price leadership," Economics Working Papers 289, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Eric van Damme & Sjaak Hurkens, 2001. "Endogenous price leadership," Economics Working Papers 581, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- van Damme, E.E.C. & Hurkens, J.P.M., 1998. "Endogenous price leadership," Discussion Paper 98.68, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- von Stengel, Bernhard, 2010. "Follower payoffs in symmetric duopoly games," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 512-516, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:urb:wpaper:11_04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carmela Nicoletti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.