Endogenous R&D symmetry in linear duopoly with one-way spillovers
A duopoly model of cost reducing R&D-Cournot competition is extended to study the endogenous timing of R&D strategic investment. Under the assumption that R&D spillovers only flow from the R&D leader to the follower, sequential and simultaneous play at the R&D stage are compared, in order to assess the role of technological externalities in stimulating or attenuating endogenous firm asymmetry. The only timing structure of the R&D stage sustainable as subgame-perfect Nash equilibrium involves simultaneous play and zero spillovers.
|Date of creation:||00 Sep 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Saloner, Garth, 1987. "Cournot duopoly with two production periods," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 183-187, June.
- Rabah Amir & John Wooders, 1998. "Cooperation vs. competition in R&D: The role of stability of equilibrium," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 67(1), pages 63-73, February.
- Madjid Amir & Rabah Amir & Jim Jin, 1999.
"Sequencing R&D Decisions in a Two-period Duopoly with Spillovers,"
CIE Discussion Papers
1999-06, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- Jim Jin & Rabah Amir & Madjid Amir, 2000. "Sequencing R&D decisions in a two-period duopoly with spillovers," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 15(2), pages 297-317.
- Jeroen Hinloopen, 2003. "R&D Efficiency Gains Due to Cooperation," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 80(2), pages 107-125, October.
- Echenique, Federico, 2001.
"A Characterization of Strategic Complementarities,"
Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt5w13s4z2, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Federico Echenique, 2001. "A characterization of strategic complementarities," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 0501, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Federico Echenique., 2001. "A Characterization of Strategic Complementarities," Economics Working Papers E01-299, University of California at Berkeley.
- Federico Echenique, 2001. "A Characterization of Strategic Complementarities," GE, Growth, Math methods 0103001, EconWPA.
- Echenique, Federico, 2002. "A Characterization of Strategic Complementarities," Working Papers 1142, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Gal-Or, Esther, 1985. "First Mover and Second Mover Advantages," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 26(3), pages 649-653, October.
- Hamilton, Jonathan H. & Slutsky, Steven M., 1990.
"Endogenous timing in duopoly games: Stackelberg or cournot equilibria,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 29-46, March.
- Hamilton, J.H. & Slutsky, S.M., 1988. "Endogenous Timing In Duopoly Games: Stackelberg Or Cournot Equilibria," Papers 88-4, Florida - College of Business Administration.
- Jan Eeckhout & Boyan Jovanovic, 2002. "Knowledge Spillovers and Inequality," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(5), pages 1290-1307, December.
- Dixit, Avinash K, 1986. "Comparative Statics for Oligopoly," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 27(1), pages 107-122, February.
- Rabah Amir & John Wooders, 1999.
"Effects of One-Way Spillovers on Market Shares, Industry Price, Welfare, and R & D Cooperation,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(2), pages 223-249, 06.
- Rabah Amir & John Wooders, 1998. "Effects of One-way Spillovers on Market Shares, Industry Price, Welfare, and R&D Cooperation," CIE Discussion Papers 1998-09, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- Seade, Jesus, 1980. "The stability of cournot revisited," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 15-27, August.
- Katsoulacos, Yannis & Ulph, David, 1998. "Endogenous Spillovers and the Performance of Research Joint Ventures," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(3), pages 333-357, September.
- Kotaro Suzumura, 1990. "Cooperative and Non-cooperative R&D in Oligopoly with Spillovers," Discussion Paper Series a218, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Ruff, Larry E., 1969. "Research and technological progress in a cournot economy," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 1(4), pages 397-415, December.
- d'ASPREMONT, Claude & JACQUEMIN, Alexis, "undated".
"Cooperative and noncooperative R&D in duopoly with spillovers,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
823, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- d'Aspremont, Claude & Jacquemin, Alexis, 1988. "Cooperative and Noncooperative R&D in Duopoly with Spillovers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(5), pages 1133-1137, December.
- Giovanni Maggi, 1996. "Endogenous Leadership in a New Market," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 27(4), pages 641-659, Winter.
- Dasgupta, Partha & Stiglitz, Joseph, 1980. "Industrial Structure and the Nature of Innovative Activity," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 90(358), pages 266-293, June.
- Roller, Lars-Hendrik & Sinclair-Desgagne, Bernard, 1996. "On the heterogeneity of firms," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 531-539, April.
- Kamien, Morton I. & Zang, Israel, 2000. "Meet me halfway: research joint ventures and absorptive capacity," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(7), pages 995-1012, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvco:2005045. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.