Expanding Employment Discrimination Protections for Individuals with Disabilities: Evidence from California
Effective 2001, California passed the Prudence Kay Poppink Act which broadened California's disability employment discrimination law to cover individuals with less severe disabilities by lowering the burden of proof to establish a disability. I estimate how this act affected the labor market outcomes for individuals with disabilities using both difference-in-differences and difference-in-differences-in-differences regression analyses and data from the Current Population Survey. The results suggest that the act signiï¬ cantly increased employment, with the effect persisting at least partially up to six years later.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2016|
|Date of revision:||Oct 2016|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 206 Tilton Hall, New Orleans, LA 70118|
Phone: (504) 865-5321
Fax: (504) 865-5869
Web page: http://econ.tulane.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Burkhauser & Mary Daly & Andrew Houtenville & Nigar Nargis, 2002.
"Self-reported work-limitation data: What they can and cannot tell US,"
Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 39(3), pages 541-555, August.
- Richard V. Burkhauser & Mary C. Daly & Andrew J. Houtenville & Nigar Nargis, 2002. "Self-reported work limitation data: what they can and cannot tell us," Working Paper Series 2002-22, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Jonathan Meer & Jeremy West, 2016. "Effects of the Minimum Wage on Employment Dynamics," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 51(2), pages 500-522.
- Jonathan Meer & Jeremy West, 2013. "Effects of the Minimum Wage on Employment Dynamics," NBER Working Papers 19262, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jonathan Meer & Jeremy West, 2015. "Effects of the Minimum Wage on Employment Dynamics," Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles 15-233, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- David Neumark & Diego Grijalva, 2013. "The Employment Effects of State Hiring Credits During and After the Great Recession," NBER Working Papers 18928, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mullen, Kathleen J. & Hill, Matthew J. & Maestas, Nicole, 2014. "Employer Accommodation and Labor Supply of Disabled Workers," Working Papers 1047, RAND Corporation.
- Matthew J. Hill & Nicole Maestas & Kathleen J. Mullen, 2014. "Employer accommodation and labor supply of disabled workers," Economics Working Papers 1450, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Neumark, David & Powers, Elizabeth, 1998. "The effect of means-tested income support for the elderly on pre-retirement saving: evidence from the SSI program in the U.S," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 181-206, May.
- David Neumark & Elizabeth Powers, 1997. "The Effect of Means-Tested Income Support for the Elderly on Pre-Retirement Saving: Evidence from the SSI Program in the U.S," NBER Working Papers 6303, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reggio, Iliana & Mora, Ricardo, 2012. "Treatment effect identification using alternative parallel assumptions," UC3M Working papers. Economics we1233, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Julie L. Hotchkiss, 2004. "A Closer Look at the Employment Impact of the Americans with Disabilities Act," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 39(4).
- David Neumark & Joanne Song & Patrick Button, 2015. "Does Protecting Older Workers from Discrimination Make It Harder to Get Hired? Evidence from Disability Discrimination Laws," NBER Working Papers 21379, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tul:wpaper:1601. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rodrigo Aranda Balcazar)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.