Mudança estrutural e a relação entre os setores em Cabo Verde
[Structural change and the sectoral linkage in Cape Verde]
The aim of this article is to investigate the relationship between sectors of activity in a small economy, exemplified by the case of Cape Verde, in order to analyze the impact that each one has on the others. Using the vector autoregressive (VAR) approach, the short-run and long-run relationships were estimated among the three main sectors of activity in the Cape Verdean economy, namely agriculture, industry and services, from 1980 to 2010. The main results showed that the services sector is the only exogenous sector in the Cape Verdean economy, and it has a positive effect on the variation of the added value of industry sector and negative effect in agriculture sector, unlike industry that is correlated positively with all others sectors.
|Date of creation:||29 Jan 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cristina Echevarria, 1995. "Agricultural Development vs. Industrialization: Effects of Trade," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 28(3), pages 631-47, August.
- N. Gemmell & T. A. Lloyd & M. Mathew, 2000. "Agricultural Growth and Inter-Sectoral Linkages in a Developing Economy," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(3), pages 353-370.
- Timmer, C. Peter, 1995. "Getting agriculture moving: do markets provide the right signals?," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 455-472, October.
- Niels‐Hugo Blunch & Dorte Verner, 2006. "Shared Sectoral Growth Versus the Dual Economy Model: Evidence from Côte d'Ivoire, Ghana, and Zimbabwe," African Development Review, African Development Bank, vol. 18(3), pages 283-308.
- Lin, Justin Yifu, 1992. "Rural Reforms and Agricultural Growth in China," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(1), pages 34-51, March.
- L. Rachel Ngai & Christopher Pissarides, 2005.
"Structural change in a multi-sector model of growth,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
4656, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- L. Rachel Ngai & Christopher A. Pissarides, 2007. "Structural Change in a Multisector Model of Growth," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(1), pages 429-443, March.
- L. Rachel Ngai & Christopher Pissarides, 2004. "Structural change in a multi-sector model of growth," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 3550, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Ngai, Liwa Rachel & Pissarides, Christopher, 2004. "Structural Change in a Multi-Sector Model of Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 4763, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- L. Rachel Ngai & Christopher Pissarides, 2007. "Structural change in a multi-sector model of growth," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 4468, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Ngai, L. Rachel & Pissarides, Christopher A., 2005. "Structural Change in a Multi-Sector Model of Growth," IZA Discussion Papers 1800, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Douglas Gollin & Richard Rogerson, 2010.
"Agriculture, Roads, and Economic Development in Uganda,"
NBER Working Papers
15863, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Douglas Gollin & Richard Rogerson, 2014. "Agriculture, Roads, and Economic Development in Uganda," NBER Chapters, in: African Successes: Sustainable Growth, Volume 4 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diego Restuccia & Dennis Tao Yang & Xiaodong Zhu, 2003.
"Agriculture and Aggregate Productivity: A Quantitative Cross-Country Analysis,"
diegor-03-01, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Restuccia, Diego & Yang, Dennis Tao & Zhu, Xiaodong, 2008. "Agriculture and aggregate productivity: A quantitative cross-country analysis," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 234-250, March.
- Diego Restuccia & Dennis Tao Yang & Xiaodong Zhu, 2007. "Agriculture and Aggregate Productivity: A Quantitative Cross-Country Analysis," Working Papers e07-3, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Department of Economics.
- Sonali Deraniyagala, 2001. "Adaptive technology strategies and technical efficiency: Evidence from the Sri Lankan agricultural machinery industry," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(1), pages 59-71.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501.
- Richard Tiffin & Xavier Irz, 2006. "Is agriculture the engine of growth?," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 35(1), pages 79-89, 07.
- Block, Steven A., 1995. "The recovery of agricultural productivity in sub-Saharan Africa," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 385-405, October.
- Sunil Kanwar, 1996.
"Does The Dog Wag The Tail Or The Tail The Dog? Cointegration Of Indian Agriculture With Non-Agriculture,"
35, Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics.
- Kanwar, Sunil, 2000. "Does the Dog Wag the Tail or the Tail the Dog? Cointegration of Indian Agriculture with Nonagriculture," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 533-556, September.
- Douglas Gollin & Stephen Parente & Richard Rogerson, 2002.
"The Role of Agriculture in Development,"
Center for Development Economics
2002-09, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Douglas Gollin & Stephen L. Parente & Richard Rogerson, 2004.
"The Food Problem and the Evolution of International Income Levels,"
899, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Gollin, Douglas & Parente, Stephen L. & Rogerson, Richard, 2007. "The food problem and the evolution of international income levels," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(4), pages 1230-1255, May.
- Benjamin N. Dennis & Talan Iscan, 2007. "Accounting for Structural Change: Evidence from Two Centuries of U.S. Data," Department of Economics at Dalhousie University working papers archive account7, Dalhousie, Department of Economics.
- Punyasavatsut, Chaiyuth & Coxhead, Ian, 2002. "On the Decline of Agriculture in Developing Countries: A Reinterpretation of the Evidence," Staff Paper Series 457, University of Wisconsin, Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Broadberry, Stephen N., 1998. "How Did the United States and Germany Overtake Britian? A Sectoral Analysis of Comparative Productivity Levels, 1870–1990," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 58(02), pages 375-407, June.
- Binswanger, Hans P. & Deininger, Klaus, 1997.
"Explaining agricultural and agrarian policies in developing countries,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1765, The World Bank.
- Hans P. Binswanger & Klaus Deininger, 1997. "Explaining Agricultural and Agrarian Policies in Developing Countries," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(4), pages 1958-2005, December.
- Marcel P. Timmer & Gaaitzen J. de Vries, 2009. "Structural change and growth accelerations in Asia and Latin America: a new sectoral data set," Cliometrica, Journal of Historical Economics and Econometric History, Association Française de Cliométrie (AFC), vol. 3(2), pages 165-190, June.
- Gary D. Hansen & Edward C. Prescott, 1998.
"Malthus to Solow,"
NBER Working Papers
6858, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Johansen, Søren & Juselius, Katarina, 1992. "Testing structural hypotheses in a multivariate cointegration analysis of the PPP and the UIP for UK," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1-3), pages 211-244.
- Dennis, Benjamin N. & Iscan, Talan B., 2009. "Engel versus Baumol: Accounting for structural change using two centuries of U.S. data," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 186-202, April.
- Kalirajan, K. P. & Sankar, U., 2001. "Agriculture in India's economic reform program," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 383-399.
- Timmer, C. P., 1992. "Agriculture and economic development revisited," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 40(1-3), pages 21-58.
- Bruce L. Gardner & H. B. Atwater, Jr. & John R. Block, 1988. "International Competition in Agriculture and U.S. Farm Policy," NBER Chapters, in: The United States in the World Economy, pages 423-474 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feder, Gershon, 1983. "On exports and economic growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1-2), pages 59-73.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:46015. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.