Foreign Direct Investment For Sale
This study examines the choice of a multinational firm between two alternative entry modes, a greenfield investment and a joint venture, under incomplete information. The joint venture partner is selected by an auction, which distinguishes this study from other studies in the literature. A private values auction allows a multinational firm to increase its share of the joint venture profit so that a joint venture is always preferable to greenfield investment. The model also examines the nationally optimal entry mode and finds that greenfield investment is likely to reduce welfare. The anticipated welfare implications of a joint venture crucially depend on the expectation of the marginal cost of the joint venture. Relative to a greenfield investment, a joint venture is welfare-improving if the negative impact of a joint venture on a local rival's profit is small.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2009|
|Date of revision:||Oct 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +64 3 479 8725
Fax: 64 3 479 8171
Web page: http://www.business.otago.ac.nz/econ
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:99:y:1984:i:1:p:149-67 is not listed on IDEAS
- Persson, Lars & Norbäck, Pehr-Johan, 2001.
"Privatization and Foreign Competition,"
Working Paper Series
545, Research Institute of Industrial Economics, revised 02 Feb 2001.
- Paul Klemperer, 2004.
"Auctions: Theory and Practice,"
2004-W09, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- McAfee, R Preston & McMillan, John, 1987. "Auctions and Bidding," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 25(2), pages 699-738, June.
- Satya P. Das & Seiichi Katayama, 2003. "International Joint Venture And Host-Country Policies," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 54(4), pages 381-394.
- Al-Saadon, Yousef & Das, Satya P., 1996. "Host-country policy, transfer pricing and ownership distribution in international joint ventures: A theoretical analysis," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 345-364, May.
- Elizabeth Asiedu & Hadi Salehi Esfahani, 2001. "Ownership Structure In Foreign Direct Investment Projects," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(4), pages 647-662, November.
- Peter Nisbet & Wayne Thomas & Stuart Barrett, 2003. "UK direct investment in the United States: a mode of entry analysis," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(3), pages 245-259.
- Mattoo, Aaditya & Olarreaga, Marcelo & Saggi, Kamal, 2001. "Mode of foreign entry, technology transfer, and foreign direct investment policy," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2737, The World Bank.
- Pehr-Johan Norbäck & Lars Persson, 2005.
"Privatization Policy in an International Oligopoly,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 72(288), pages 635-653, November.
- Norbäck, Pehr-Johan & Persson, Lars, 2003. "Privatization Policy in an International Oligopoly," Working Paper Series 608, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Indrani Roy Chowdhury & Prabla Roy Chowdhury, 2002. "International Joint Ventures: A Welfare Analysis," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(1), pages 51-60.
- Raff, Horst & Ryan, Michael & Stähler, Frank, 2005.
"Asset Ownership and Foreign-Market Entry,"
Economics Working Papers
2006,01, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Benjamin Gomes-Casseres, 1990. "Firm Ownership Preferences and Host Government Restrictions: An Integrated Approach," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 21(1), pages 1-22, March.
- Ignatius J. Horstmann & James R. Markusen, 1995.
"Exploring New Markets: Direct Investment, Contractual Relations and the Multinational Enterprise,"
NBER Working Papers
5029, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Horstmann, Ignatius J & Markusen, James R, 1996. "Exploring New Markets: Direct Investment, Contractual Relations and the Multinational Enterprise," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 37(1), pages 1-19, February.
- Jehiel, Phillipe & Moldovanu, Benny, 1997.
"Auctions with Downstream Interaction among Buyers,"
Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications
97-06, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Norbäck, Pehr-Johan & Persson, Lars, 2002. "Cross-Border Acquisitions and Greenfield Entry," Working Paper Series 570, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Bulow, Jeremy & Klemperer, Paul, 1996. "Auctions versus Negotiations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(1), pages 180-94, March.
- Mikhail Klimenko & Kamal Saggi, 2007. "Technical compatibility and the mode of foreign entry with network externalities," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 40(1), pages 176-206, February.
- Valeria Gattai & Corrado Molteni, 2007.
"Dissipation of Knowledge and the Boundaries of the Multinational Enterprise,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 143(1), pages 1-26, April.
- Valeria Gattai, 2005. "Dissipation of Knowledge and the Boundaries of the Multinational Enterprise," Working Papers 2005.121, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Erin Anderson & Hubert Gatignon, 1986. "Modes of Foreign Entry: A Transaction Cost Analysis and Propositions," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 17(3), pages 1-26, September.
- Mukherjee, Arijit & Sengupta, Sarbajit, 2001. "Joint Ventures versus Fully Owned Subsidiaries: Multinational Strategies in Liberalizing Economies," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(1), pages 163-80, February.
- Milgrom, Paul, 1989. "Auctions and Bidding: A Primer," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 3(3), pages 3-22, Summer.
- Peter J Buckley & Mark C Casson, 1998. "Models of the Multinational Enterprise," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(1), pages 21-44, March.
- Jean-François Hennart, 1991. "The Transaction Costs Theory of Joint Ventures: An Empirical Study of Japanese Subsidiaries in the United States," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(4), pages 483-497, April.
- Paul Milgrom & Robert J. Weber, 1981.
"A Theory of Auctions and Competitive Bidding,"
447R, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:otg:wpaper:0910. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Janet Bryant)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.