Mode of Foreign Entry, Technology Transfer, and FDI Policy
Foreign direct investment (FDI) can take place either through the direct entry of foreign firms or the acquisition of existing domestic firms. The preferences of a foreign firm and the host country government over these two modes of FDI are examined in the presence of costly technology transfer. The trade-off between technology transfer and market competition emerges as a key determinant of preferences. The Paper identifies the circumstances in which the government and foreign firm's choices diverge, and how domestic welfare can be improved by restrictions on FDI which induce the foreign firm to choose the socially preferred mode of entry.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wilfred J. Ethier & James R. Markusen, 1991.
"Multinational Firms, Technology Diffusion and Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
3825, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ethier, Wilfred J. & Markusen, James R., 1996. "Multinational firms, technology diffusion and trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1-2), pages 1-28, August.
- Ethier, W.J. & Markusen, J.R., 1993. "Multinational Firms, Technology Diffusion and Trade," ISER Discussion Paper 0303, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Kamien, Morton I & Zang, Israel, 1990.
"The Limits of Monopolization through Acquisition,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 105(2), pages 465-99, May.
- Morton I. Kamien & Israel Zang, 1988. "The Limits of Monopolization Through Acquisition," Discussion Papers 802, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Morton I. Kamien & Israel Zang, 1987. "The Limits of Monopolization Through Acquisition," Discussion Papers 754, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Damien NEVEN & George SIOTIS, 1995.
"Technology Sourcing and FDI in the EC : An Empirical Evaluation,"
Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP)
9508, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Neven, D. & Siotis, G., 1996. "Technology sourcing and FDI in the EC: An empirical evaluation," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 543-560, July.
- Teece, David J, 1977. "Technology Transfer by Multinational Firms: The Resource Cost of Transferring Technological Know-how," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 87(346), pages 242-61, June.
- Simon Cowan, 1989. "Trade and Competition Policies for Oligopolies," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 125(3), pages 464-483, September.
- Barbara J. Spencer & James A. Brander, 1982.
"Strategic Commitment with R&D: The Symmetric Case,"
516, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Horn, H. & Levinsohn, J., 1998.
"Merger Policies and Trade Liberalization,"
420, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- James R. Markusen, 1998.
"Contracts, Intellectual Property Rights, and Multinational Investment in Developing Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
6448, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Markusen, James R., 2001. "Contracts, intellectual property rights, and multinational investment in developing countries," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 189-204, February.
- Svejnar, Jan & Smith, Stephen C, 1984. "The Economics of Joint Ventures in Less Developed Countries," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 99(1), pages 149-67, February.
- Barros, Pedro P. & Cabral, Luis, 1994. "Merger policy in open economies," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 1041-1055, May.
- Saggi, Kamal, 1996. "Entry into a Foreign Market: Foreign Direct Investment versus Licensing," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(1), pages 99-104, February.
- Marjit, Sugata & Broll, Udo & Mallick, Indrajit, 1995. "A theory of overseas joint ventures," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 47(3-4), pages 367-370, March.
- Keith Head & John Ries, 1997. "International Mergers and Welfare under Decentralized Competition Policy," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 30(4), pages 1104-23, November.
- Mutinelli, Marco & Piscitello, Lucia, 1998. "The entry mode choice of MNEs: an evolutionary approach," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 491-506, September.
- Kabiraj, Tarun & Roy, Prithvijit, 1999. "Technology Transfer, Merger and Joint Venture: A Comparative Welfare Analysis," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 14, pages 442-466.
- Perry, Martin K & Porter, Robert H, 1985. "Oligopoly and the Incentive for Horizontal Merger," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(1), pages 219-27, March.
- Al-Saadon, Yousef & Das, Satya P., 1996. "Host-country policy, transfer pricing and ownership distribution in international joint ventures: A theoretical analysis," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 345-364, May.
- Salant, Stephen W & Switzer, Sheldon & Reynolds, Robert J, 1983. "Losses from Horizontal Merger: The Effects of an Exogenous Change in Industry Structure on Cournot-Nash Equilibrium," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 98(2), pages 185-99, May.
- Reynolds, Robert J. & Snapp, Bruce R., 1986. "The competitive effects of partial equity interests and joint ventures," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 141-153, June.
- Ramachandran, Vijaya, 1993. "Technology Transfer, Firm Ownership, and Investment in Human Capital," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(4), pages 664-70, November.
- Richardson, Martin, 1999. "Trade and Competition Policies: Concordia Discors?," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 51(4), pages 649-64, October.
- Saggi, Kamal, 1999. "Foreign Direct Investment, Licensing, and Incentives for Innovation," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(4), pages 699-714, November.
- Campbell, H. F. & Hand, A. J., 1998. "Joint ventures and technology transfer: the Solomon Islands pole-and-line fishery," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 421-442.
- Satya P. Das & Sarbajit Sengupta, 2001. "Asymmetric Information, Bargaining, and International Mergers," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(4), pages 565-590, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:2870. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.