The aggregate weak axiom in a financial economy through dominant substitution effects
Consider a two period financial economy with incomplete markets and with agents having von Neumann-Morgenstern utility functions. It is well known that when the economys endowments are collinear, the excess demand function will obey the weak axiom when certain mild restrictions are imposed on agents coefficient of relative risk aversion. This result is obtained through the application of a theorem on the law of demand (for individual demand) formulated independently by Milleron (1974) and Mitjuschin and Polterovich (1978). In this paper, we develop their arguments further and apply them to economies without collinear endowments. We identify conditions which guarantee that the economys excess demand function obeys the weak axiom near an equilibrium price.
|Date of creation:||01 Aug 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.nuffield.ox.ac.uk/economics/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mas-Colell,Andreu, 1990.
"The Theory of General Economic Equilibrium,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521388702, December.
- John K.-H. Quah, 2000.
"The Monotonicity of Individual and Market Demand,"
Econometric Society, vol. 68(4), pages 911-930, July.
- Hens, Thorsten & Loeffler, Andras, 1995. "Gross substitution in financial markets," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 39-43, July.
- Hildenbrand, Werner, 1983. "On the "Law of Demand."," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(4), pages 997-1019, July.
- John K.H. Quah, 2003.
"The Law of Demand and Risk Aversion,"
Econometric Society, vol. 71(2), pages 713-721, March.
- Quah, John K. -H., 2003. "Market demand and comparative statics when goods are normal," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 317-333, June.
- Bettzuge, Marc Oliver, 1998. "An extension of a theorem by Mitjushin and Polterovich to incomplete markets," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 285-300, October.
- repec:rus:hseeco:94360 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jerison, Michael, 1999.
"Dispersed excess demands, the weak axiom and uniqueness of equilibrium,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 15-48, February.
- Michael Jerison, 1998. "Dispersed Excess Demands, the Weak Axiom and Uniqueness of Equilibrium," Discussion Papers 98-03, University at Albany, SUNY, Department of Economics.
- Magill, Michael & Shafer, Wayne, 1991. "Incomplete markets," Handbook of Mathematical Economics, in: W. Hildenbrand & H. Sonnenschein (ed.), Handbook of Mathematical Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 30, pages 1523-1614 Elsevier.
- Nachbar, John H., 2004. "General equilibrium comparative statics: discrete shocks in production economies," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1-2), pages 153-163, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nuf:econwp:0418. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maxine Collett)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.