On the Law of Demand. - A mathematically simple descriptive approach for general probability density functions
In this paper we assume that choice of commodities at the individual (household) level is made inside the budget set and that the choice can be described by a probability density function. We prove that law of demand()0xExp is valid for one(x) or two choice variables (x, y)*. The law of demand at the market level is valid by summation. We use general probabilistic density functions p(x), p(x, y) defined over the bounded budget set to calculate E(x) and prove law of demand. The expected demand functions are homogeneous of degree zero in prices and income(,,)xyppm.The commodities x and y are normal goods**. The present approach is less complex in a mathematical sense compared to other approaches and is descriptive in its nature. Why not keep descriptions as simple as possible? Entia non sunt multiplicanda praetor necessitatem Beings ought not to be multiplied except out of necessity “Occam´s razor” Encyclopedia Brittannica
|Date of creation:||30 Nov 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, School of Business, Economics and Law, University of Gothenburg, Box 640, SE 405 30 GÖTEBORG, Sweden|
Phone: 031-773 10 00
Web page: http://www.handels.gu.se/econ/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John K.-H. Quah, 2000.
"The Monotonicity of Individual and Market Demand,"
Econometric Society, vol. 68(4), pages 911-930, July.
- Quah, J-K-H, 1996. "The Monotonicity of Individual and Market Demand," Economics Papers 127, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Hardle, Wolfgang & Hildenbrand, Werner & Jerison, Michael, 1991. "Empirical Evidence on the Law of Demand," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1525-1549, November.
- HARDLE, Wolfgang & HILDENBRAND, Werner & JERISON, Michael, "undated". "Empirical evidence on the law of demand," CORE Discussion Papers RP 968, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Wolfgang Härdle & Werner Hildenbrand & Michael Jerison, 1989. "Empirical Evidence on the Law of Demand," Discussion Paper Serie A 264a, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Haerdle,W. Hildenbrand,W. Jerison,M., 1988. "Empirical evidence on the law of demand," Discussion Paper Serie A 193, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Shone, R., 1975. "Microeconomics," Elsevier Monographs, Elsevier, edition 1, number 9780126413502 edited by Shell, Karl. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:gunwpe:0396. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie Andersson)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.