Business Cycles, Core and Periphery in Monetary Unions: Comparing Europe and North America
We compare Europe with the USA and Canada as regards business cycle synchronization and core-periphery patterns. A long sample (1950-2005) makes it possible to study how these aspects have evolved over time. Results support the economic viability of EMU. Average cyclical correlations among European countries have risen significantly, reaching levels close to, or even higher than, those of North American regions. Applying fuzzy clustering to the analysis of core-periphery issues, we find Europe to actually outperform North America: the core-periphery divide is milder, and peripheral status seems generally less protracted.
|Date of creation:||15 Mar 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://bru-unide.iscte.pt/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tamim Bayoumi & Barry Eichengreen, 1992.
"Shocking Aspects of European Monetary Unification,"
NBER Working Papers
3949, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tamim Bayoumi and Barry Eichengreen., 1992. "Shocking Aspects of European Monetary Unification," Economics Working Papers 92-187, University of California at Berkeley.
- Bayoumi, Tamim & Eichengreen, Barry, 1992. "Shocking Aspects of European Monetary Unification," CEPR Discussion Papers 643, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Feldstein, Martin, 2000.
"The European Central Bank and the Euro: The First Year,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 345-354, May.
- Martin Feldstein, 2000. "The European Central Bank and the Euro: The First Year," NBER Working Papers 7517, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michel Beine & Serge Coulombe, 2003.
"Regional perspectives on dollarization in Canada,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/10433, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Feldstein, Martin, 2000. "The European Central Bank and the Euro: The First Year," Scholarly Articles 3043424, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Artis, Michael J & Zhang, W, 1997.
"International Business Cycles and the ERM: Is There a European Business Cycle?,"
International Journal of Finance & Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 2(1), pages 1-16, January.
- Artis, Michael J & Zhang, Wenda, 1995. "International Business Cycles and the ERM: Is there a European Business Cycle?," CEPR Discussion Papers 1191, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A & Rose, Andrew K, 1998.
"The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(449), pages 1009-25, July.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & Andrew K. Rose, 1996. "The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria," NBER Working Papers 5700, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A & Rose, Andrew K, 1996. "The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria," CEPR Discussion Papers 1473, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Todd E. Clark & Eric Van Wincoop, 1999.
"Borders and business cycles,"
Research Working Paper
99-07, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Camacho, Maximo & Perez-Quiros, Gabriel & Saiz, Lorena, 2006.
"Are European business cycles close enough to be just one?,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 30(9-10), pages 1687-1706.
- Maximo Camacho & Gabriel Perez-Quiros, 2004. "Are European business cycles close enough to be just one?," Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 16, Society for Computational Economics.
- Camacho, Maximo & Pérez-Quirós, Gabriel & Sáiz Matute, Lorena, 2005. "Are European Business Cycles Close Enough to be Just One?," CEPR Discussion Papers 4824, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Máximo Camacho & Gabriel Pérez-Quirós & Lorena Saiz, 2004. "Are european business cycles close enough to be just one?," Banco de Espa�a Working Papers 0408, Banco de Espa�a.
- M J Artis & W Zhang, 2001. "Core and Periphery in EMU: A Cluster Analysis," Economic Issues Journal Articles, Economic Issues, vol. 6(2), pages 47-58, September.
- Mike Artis & Hans-Martin Krolzig & Juan Toro, 2002.
"The European Business Cycle,"
Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces
E2002/19, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Tsangarides, Charalambos G. & Qureshi, Mahvash Saeed, 2008.
"Monetary Union Membership in West Africa: A Cluster Analysis,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 1261-1279, July.
- Haan, Jakob de & Inklaar, Robert & Jong-A-Pin, Richard, 2005.
"Will business cycles in the Euro Area converge : a critical survey of empirical research,"
CCSO Working Papers
200508, University of Groningen, CCSO Centre for Economic Research.
- Jakob de Haan & Robert Inklaar & Richard Jong-A-Pin, 2008. "Will Business Cycles In The Euro Area Converge? A Critical Survey Of Empirical Research," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(2), pages 234-273, 04.
- Mark Mink & Jan P.A.M. Jacobs & Jakob de Haan, 2007.
"Measuring Synchronicity And Co-Movement Of Business Cycles With An Application To The Euro Area,"
CAMA Working Papers
2007-19, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Mark Mink & Jan P.A.M. Jacobs & Jakob de Haan, 2012. "Measuring coherence of output gaps with an application to the euro area," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 64(2), pages 217-236, April.
- Jakob de Haan & Jan Jacobs & Mark Mink, 2007. "Measuring Synchronicity and Co-movement of Business Cycles with an Application to the Euro Area," CESifo Working Paper Series 2112, CESifo Group Munich.
- Pedro Perez & Denise Osborn & Marianne Sensier, 2007.
"Business cycle affiliations in the context of European integration,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(2), pages 199-214.
- P J Perez & D R Osborn & M Sensier, 2003. "Business Cycle Affiliations in the Context of European Integration," Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series 29, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Dmitri Boreiko, 2003. "EMU and accession countries: Fuzzy cluster analysis of membership," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(4), pages 309-325.
- Angeloni, Ignazio & Dedola, Luca, 1999. "From the ERM to the euro: new evidence on economic and policy convergence among EU countries," Working Paper Series 0004, European Central Bank.
- Mark D. Partridge & Dan S. Rickman, 2005. "Regional cyclical asymmetries in an optimal currency area: an analysis using US state data," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 57(3), pages 373-397, July.
- Joseph DeJuan & Marc Tomljanovich, 2005. "Income convergence across Canadian provinces in the 20th century: Almost but not quite there," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 567-592, 09.
- Gerald A. Carlino & Keith Sill, 1997. "Regional economies: separating trends from cycles," Business Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia, issue May, pages 19-31.
- Crowley, Patrick, 2008. "One Money, Several Cycles? Evaluation of European business cycles using model-based cluster analysis," Research Discussion Papers 3/2008, Bank of Finland.
- Inklaar, Robert & de Haan, Jakob, 2001. "Is There Really a European Business Cycle? A Comment," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(2), pages 215-20, April.
- Wynne, Mark A & Koo, Jahyeong, 2000. "Business Cycles under Monetary Union: A Comparison of the EU and US," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 67(267), pages 347-74, August.
- Gerald Carlino & Keith Sill, 2001.
"Regional Income Fluctuations: Common Trends And Common Cycles,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 83(3), pages 446-456, August.
- Gerald A. Carlino & Keith Sill, 2000. "Regional income fluctuations: common trends and common cycles," Working Papers 00-8, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Karras, Georgios, 2003. "How homogenizing are monetary unions?: Evidence from the U.S. states," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 381-397, December.
- Artis, M.J. & Zhang, W., 2002. "Membership of EMU: A Fuzzy Clustering Analysis of Alternative Criteria," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 17, pages 54-79.
- Geoffrey M.B. Tootell, 1990. "Central bank flexibility and the drawbacks to currency unification," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue May, pages 3-18.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:isc:iscwp1:ercwp1908. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Henrique Monteiro)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.