Specialisation Patterns and the Synchronicity of Regional Employment Cycles in Europe
This paper examines the degree of correlation of EU regional employment cycles and attempts to show whether these cycles reflect changing patterns of specialisation. By focusing on the regional level and by employing three different indicators of similarity of sectoral structure, it improves on existing studies. A dynamic panel data model is estimated pairs of regions by within groups, i.e., by a standard fixed effects estimator. Special attention is paid to capture the rich dynamics which are typical of employment data. The key finding is that employment growth is more synchronised when regions look alike in their sectoral structure.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: International Economics and Economic Policy, 2006, 3 (2), 91-104|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Todd E. Clark & Eric van Wincoop, 1999.
"Borders and business cycles,"
Research Working Paper
99-07, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Krugman, Paul, 1991.
"Increasing Returns and Economic Geography,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(3), pages 483-99, June.
- Marianne Baxter & Robert G. King, 1995.
"Measuring Business Cycles Approximate Band-Pass Filters for Economic Time Series,"
NBER Working Papers
5022, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marianne Baxter & Robert G. King, 1999. "Measuring Business Cycles: Approximate Band-Pass Filters For Economic Time Series," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 81(4), pages 575-593, November.
- Inklaar, Robert & de Haan, Jakob, 2001. "Is There Really a European Business Cycle? A Comment," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(2), pages 215-20, April.
- Krieger-Boden, Christiane, 1999. "Nationale und regionale Spezialisierungsmuster im europäischen Integrationsprozeß," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 2294, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Forni, Mario & Reichlin, Lucrezia, 1997.
"National Policies and Local Economies: Europe and the United States,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1632, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lucrezia Reichlin & Mario Forni, 1999. "National policies and local economies: Europe and the United States," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/10181, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- David Greenaway & Robert C. Hine, 1991.
"Intra-Industry Specialization, Trade Expansion and Adjustment in the European Economic Space,"
Journal of Common Market Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(6), pages 603-622, December.
- Greenaway, David & Hine, Robert C., 1990. "Intra Industry Specialisation, Trade Expansion and Adjustment in the European Economic Space," Working Paper Series 281, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Maria Caporale, Guglielmo & Pittis, Nikitas, 1999. "Is Europe an Optimum Currency Area? Business Cyc1es in the EU," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 14, pages 169-202.
- Kalemli-Ozcan, Sebnem & Sorensen, Bent E. & Yosha, Oved, 2001. "Economic integration, industrial specialization, and the asymmetry of macroeconomic fluctuations," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 107-137, October.
- Artis, Michael J & Zhang, W, 1997.
"International Business Cycles and the ERM: Is There a European Business Cycle?,"
International Journal of Finance & Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 2(1), pages 1-16, January.
- Artis, Michael J & Zhang, Wenda, 1995. "International Business Cycles and the ERM: Is there a European Business Cycle?," CEPR Discussion Papers 1191, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marius Brülhart & Robert Elliott, 2002. "Labour-market effects of intra-industry trade: Evidence for the United Kingdom," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 138(2), pages 207-228, June.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A & Rose, Andrew K, 1998.
"The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(449), pages 1009-25, July.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & Andrew K. Rose, 1996. "The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria," NBER Working Papers 5700, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A & Rose, Andrew K, 1996. "The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria," CEPR Discussion Papers 1473, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Matthew Higgins & Egon Zakrajsek, 1999.
"Purchasing power parity: three stakes through the heart of the unit root null,"
80, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Matthew Higgins & Egon Zakrajsek, 2000. "Purchasing power parity: three stakes through the heart of the unit root null," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2000-22, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Ansgar Belke & Jens Heine, 2007. "On the endogeneity of an exogenous OCA-criterion: specialisation and the correlation of regional business cycles in Europe," Empirica, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 15-44, March.
- Todd E. Clark & Kwanho Shin, 1998. "The sources of fluctuations within and across countries," Research Working Paper 98-04, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- M. Amiti, 1997.
"Specialisation patterns in Europe,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
20321, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Mary Amiti, 1999. "Specialization patterns in Europe," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 135(4), pages 573-593, December.
- Diego Puga, 2002.
"European regional policies in light of recent location theories,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 2(4), pages 373-406, October.
- Puga, Diego, 2001. "European Regional Policies in Light of Recent Location Theories," CEPR Discussion Papers 2767, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Finger, J M & Kreinin, M E, 1979. "A Measure of 'Export Similarity' and Its Possible Uses," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(356), pages 905-12, December.
- Jan Babetski & Laurence Boone & Mathilde Maurel, 2003.
"Exchange Rate Regimes and Supply Shocks Asymmetry: the Case of the Accession Countries,"
CERGE-EI Working Papers
wp206, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economics Institute, Prague.
- Babetskii, Ian & Boone, Laurence & Maurel, Mathilde, 2002. "Exchange Rate Regimes and Supply Shocks Asymmetry: The Case of the Accession Countries," CEPR Discussion Papers 3408, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jean IMBS, 1998.
Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP)
9819, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Christodoulakis, Nicos & Dimelis, Sophia P & Kollintzas, Tryphon, 1995. "Comparisons of Business Cycles in the EC: Idiosyncracies and Regularities," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 62(245), pages 1-27, February.
- Levin, Andrew & Lin, Chien-Fu & James Chu, Chia-Shang, 2002.
"Unit root tests in panel data: asymptotic and finite-sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-24, May.
- Tom Doan, . "LEVINLIN: RATS procedure to perform Levin-Lin-Chu test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00242, Boston College Department of Economics.
- K.H. Midelfart & H.G. Overman & S.J. Redding & A.J. Venables, 2000. "The location of European industry," European Economy - Economic Papers 142, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Krugman, Paul, 1998. "What's New about the New Economic Geography?," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(2), pages 7-17, Summer.
- Nickell, Stephen J, 1981. "Biases in Dynamic Models with Fixed Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1417-26, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp1439. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.