“Innovation Adoption and Productivity Growth: Evidence for Europe”
The idea in this paper is to provide an empirical verification of the relationship between innovation adoption and productivity growth. After a brief revision of the literature about the concept and main determinants of innovation adoption/diffusion, the paper provides empirical evidence of the above-mentioned relationship through means of descriptive statistics and subsequently, we study the impact that innovation adoption may have on productivity growth through a regression analysis. The analysis is made with the statistical information provided by the Community Innovation Survey in its third and fourth waves, which concern innovative activities carried out between 1998 and 2000 and between 2002 and 2004 respectively. The countries covered are the 25 EU Member States plus Iceland and Norway as well as Turkey.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2014|
|Date of revision:||Apr 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ub.edu/irea/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Increasing Returns and Long-Run Growth,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2232, David K. Levine.
- Martin, Philippe & Ottaviano, Gianmarco I P, 2001.
"Growth and Agglomeration,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 42(4), pages 947-68, November.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 1993.
"Endogenous Innovation in the Theory of Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
4527, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wayne B Gray & Ronald J Shadbegian, 1997.
"Environmental Regulation, Investment Timing, and Technology Choice,"
97-9, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Gray, Wayne B & Shadbegian, Ronald J, 1998. "Environmental Regulation, Investment Timing, and Technology Choice," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(2), pages 235-56, June.
- Wayne B. Gray & Ronald J. Shadbegian, 1997. "Environmental Regulation, Investment Timing, and Technology Choice," NBER Working Papers 6036, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Verspagen, Bart, 1995. "Convergence in the global economy. A broad historical viewpoint," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 143-165, June.
- Marcus Berliant & Robert R. Reed III & Ping Wang, 2000.
"Knowledge Exchange, Matching, and Agglomeration,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0261, Econometric Society.
- Marcus Berliant, 2003. "Knowledge Exchange, Matching, and Agglomeration," Theory workshop papers 505798000000000026, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Marcus Berliant & Robert R. Reed III & Ping Wang, 2005. "Knowledge Exchange, Matching, and Agglomeration," Urban/Regional 0506013, EconWPA, revised 07 Jul 2005.
- Marcus Berliant & Robert R. Reed III & Ping Wang, 2004. "Knowledge Exchange, Matching, and Agglomeration," Urban/Regional 0405007, EconWPA, revised 03 Dec 2004.
- Marcus Berliant & Robert R Reed & Ping Wang, 2003. "Knowledge Exchange, Matching, and Agglomeration," Levine's Bibliography 666156000000000395, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Marcus Berliant & Robert R. Reed, III & Ping Wang, 2000. "Knowledge exchange, matching, and agglomeration," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 135, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Fabio Manca & Rosina Moreno & Jordi Suri�ach, 2011. "The Role of the EU Internal Market in the Adoption of Innovation," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(6), pages 1091-1116, June.
- Sorenson, Olav & Rivkin, Jan W. & Fleming, Lee, 2006. "Complexity, networks and knowledge flow," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 994-1017, September.
- Rachel Griffith & Rupert Harrison & Helen Simpson, 2006. "The link between product market reform, innovation and EU macroeconomic performance," European Economy - Economic Papers 243, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Stefano Breschi & Francesco Lissoni, 2003. "Mobility and Social Networks: Localised Knowledge Spillovers Revisited," KITeS Working Papers 142, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Mar 2003.
- Corinne Autant-Bernard & Pascal Billand & David Frachisse & Nadine Massard, 2007. "Social distance versus spatial distance in R&D cooperation: Empirical evidence from European collaboration choices in micro and nanotechnologies," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 86(3), pages 495-519, 08.
- Elhanan Helpman, 1992.
"Innovation, Imitation, and Intellectual Property Rights,"
NBER Working Papers
4081, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1993. "Innovation, Imitation, and Intellectual Property Rights," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(6), pages 1247-80, November.
- Helpman, E., 1992. "Innovation, Imitation and intellectual Property Rights," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1597, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Beethika Khan, 2003.
"Adoption of New Technology,"
NBER Working Papers
9730, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hall, Bronwyn H. & Khan, Beethika, 2003. "Adoption of New Technology," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt3wg4p528, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Beethika Khan, 2004. "Adoption of New Technology," Development and Comp Systems 0401001, EconWPA.
- Ernest Miguélez & Rosina Moreno & Jordi Suriñach, 2010. "Inventors on the move: Tracing inventors' mobility and its spatial distribution," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 89(2), pages 251-274, 06.
- Lai, Edwin L. -C., 1998. "International intellectual property rights protection and the rate of product innovation," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 133-153, February.
- Jasjit Singh, 2005. "Collaborative Networks as Determinants of Knowledge Diffusion Patterns," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(5), pages 756-770, May.
- Leiponen, Aija, 2005. "Skills and innovation," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 23(5-6), pages 303-323, June.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2135, David K. Levine.
- Merges, Robert P. & Nelson, Richard R., 1994. "On limiting or encouraging rivalry in technical progress: The effect of patent scope decisions," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 1-24, September.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson & James Robinson, 2004.
"Institutions as the Fundamental Cause of Long-Run Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
10481, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson & James Robinson, 2004. "Institutions As The Fundamental Cause Of Long-Run Growth," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 002889, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Johnson, Simon & Robinson, James A, 2004. "Institutions as the Fundamental Cause of Long-Run Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 4458, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- David M. Cutler & Mark McClellan, 1996. "The Determinants of Technological Change in Heart Attack Treatment," NBER Working Papers 5751, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Keith E. Maskus, 2000. "Intellectual Property Rights in the Global Economy," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 99, May.
- Gilbert, Richard J & Newbery, David M G, 1982. "Preemptive Patenting and the Persistence of Monopoly," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(3), pages 514-26, June.
- Baker, Laurence C., 2001. "Managed care and technology adoption in health care: evidence from magnetic resonance imaging," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 395-421, May.
- Reinganum, Jennifer F., .
"On the Diffusion of New Technology: A Game Theoretic Approach,"
312, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Reinganum, Jennifer F, 1981. "On the Diffusion of New Technology: A Game Theoretic Approach," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(3), pages 395-405, July.
- Gomes-Casseres, Benjamin & Hagedoorn, John & Jaffe, Adam B., 2006.
"Do alliances promote knowledge flows?,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 5-33, April.
- Kenneth Arrow, 1962. "Economic Welfare and the Allocation of Resources for Invention," NBER Chapters, in: The Rate and Direction of Inventive Activity: Economic and Social Factors, pages 609-626 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aghion, Philippe & Howitt, Peter, 2005. "Growth with Quality-Improving Innovations: An Integrated Framework," Handbook of Economic Growth, in: Philippe Aghion & Steven Durlauf (ed.), Handbook of Economic Growth, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 2, pages 67-110 Elsevier.
- Fabienne Ilzkovitz & Adriaan Dierx & Viktoria Kovacs & Nuno Sousa, 2007. "Steps towards a deeper economic integration: the internal market in the 21st century," European Economy - Economic Papers 271, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Redmond, William H., 2004. "Interconnectivity in diffusion of innovations and market competition," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(11), pages 1295-1302, November.
- Deardorff, Alan V, 1992. "Welfare Effects of Global Patent Protection," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 59(233), pages 35-51, February.
- Josh Lerner, 2002. "Patent Protection and Innovation Over 150 Years," NBER Working Papers 8977, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jan Fagerberg, 2006. "Innovation, technology and the global knowledge economy: Challenges for future growth," Working Papers on Innovation Studies 20060301, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Kokko, Ari, 1994. "Technology, market characteristics, and spillovers," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 279-293, April.
- Abramovitz, Moses, 1986. "Catching Up, Forging Ahead, and Falling Behind," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 46(02), pages 385-406, June.
- Francesco Crespi, 2004. "Notes on the Determinants of Innovation: A Multi-Perspective Analysis," Working Papers 2004.42, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Ernest Miguelez & Rosina Moreno, 2010.
"Research Networks and Inventors’ Mobility as Drivers of Innovation: Evidence from Europe,"
IREA Working Papers
201001, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Jan 2010.
- Ernest Miguélez & Rosina Moreno, 2013. "Research Networks and Inventors' Mobility as Drivers of Innovation: Evidence from Europe," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(10), pages 1668-1685, November.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ira:wpaper:201413. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alicia García)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.