“Innovation Adoption and Productivity Growth: Evidence for Europe”
The idea in this paper is to provide an empirical verification of the relationship between innovation adoption and productivity growth. After a brief revision of the literature about the concept and main determinants of innovation adoption/diffusion, the paper provides empirical evidence of the above-mentioned relationship through means of descriptive statistics and subsequently, we study the impact that innovation adoption may have on productivity growth through a regression analysis. The analysis is made with the statistical information provided by the Community Innovation Survey in its third and fourth waves, which concern innovative activities carried out between 1998 and 2000 and between 2002 and 2004 respectively. The countries covered are the 25 EU Member States plus Iceland and Norway as well as Turkey.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2014|
|Date of revision:||Apr 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Diagonal 690-696, 08034 Barcelona|
Phone: +34 93 402 43 13cazza
Web page: http://www.ub.edu/irea/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen Knack & Philip Keefer, 1995. "Institutions And Economic Performance: Cross-Country Tests Using Alternative Institutional Measures," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(3), pages 207-227, November.
- Marcus Berliant & Robert R. Reed III & Ping Wang, 2000.
"Knowledge Exchange, Matching, and Agglomeration,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0261, Econometric Society.
- Marcus Berliant, 2003. "Knowledge Exchange, Matching, and Agglomeration," Theory workshop papers 505798000000000026, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Marcus Berliant & Robert R. Reed III & Ping Wang, 2004. "Knowledge Exchange, Matching, and Agglomeration," Urban/Regional 0405007, EconWPA, revised 03 Dec 2004.
- Marcus Berliant & Robert R. Reed, III & Ping Wang, 2000. "Knowledge exchange, matching, and agglomeration," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 135, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Marcus Berliant & Robert R. Reed III & Ping Wang, 2005. "Knowledge Exchange, Matching, and Agglomeration," Urban/Regional 0506013, EconWPA, revised 07 Jul 2005.
- Marcus Berliant & Robert R Reed & Ping Wang, 2003. "Knowledge Exchange, Matching, and Agglomeration," Levine's Bibliography 666156000000000395, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Marcus Berliant & Robert R. Reed III & Ping Wang, 2000. "Knowledge Exchange, Matching, and Agglomeration," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0033, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Kumar, Krishna B., 2003. "Education And Technology Adoption In A Small Open Economy: Theory And Evidence," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(04), pages 586-617, September.
- Ernest Miguélez & Rosina Moreno, 2013.
"Research Networks and Inventors' Mobility as Drivers of Innovation: Evidence from Europe,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(10), pages 1668-1685, November.
- Ernest Miguelez & Rosina Moreno, 2010. "Research Networks and Inventors’ Mobility as Drivers of Innovation: Evidence from Europe," IREA Working Papers 201001, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Jan 2010.
- Almeida, Paul & Kogut, Bruce, 1997. "The Exploration of Technological Diversity and the Geographic Localization of Innovation," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 21-31, February.
- David M. Cutler & Mark McClellan, 1996. "The Determinants of Technological Change in Heart Attack Treatment," NBER Working Papers 5751, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Benjamin Gomes-Casseres & John Hagedoorn & Adam B. Jaffe, 2002.
"Do Alliances Promote Knowledge Flows?,"
in: Corporate Alliances
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Beethika Khan, 2003.
"Adoption of New Technology,"
NBER Working Papers
9730, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Beethika Khan, 2004. "Adoption of New Technology," Development and Comp Systems 0401001, EconWPA.
- Hall, Bronwyn H. & Khan, Beethika, 2003. "Adoption of New Technology," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt3wg4p528, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Reinganum, Jennifer F., "undated".
"On the Diffusion of New Technology: A Game Theoretic Approach,"
312, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Jennifer F. Reinganum, 1981. "On the Diffusion of New Technology: A Game Theoretic Approach," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 48(3), pages 395-405.
- Jasjit Singh, 2005. "Collaborative Networks as Determinants of Knowledge Diffusion Patterns," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(5), pages 756-770, May.
- Merges, Robert P. & Nelson, Richard R., 1994. "On limiting or encouraging rivalry in technical progress: The effect of patent scope decisions," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 1-24, September.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1993.
"Endogenous, Innovation in the Theory of Growth,"
165, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Aschhoff, Birgit & Schmidt, Tobias, 2006.
"Empirical evidence on the success of R&D co-operation: Happy together?,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
06-59, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Birgit Aschhoff & Tobias Schmidt, 2008. "Empirical Evidence on the Success of R&D Cooperation—Happy Together?," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 33(1), pages 41-62, August.
- Wayne B. Gray & Ronald J. Shadbegian, 1997.
"Environmental Regulation, Investment Timing, and Technology Choice,"
NBER Working Papers
6036, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gray, Wayne B & Shadbegian, Ronald J, 1998. "Environmental Regulation, Investment Timing, and Technology Choice," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(2), pages 235-256, June.
- Wayne B Gray & Ronald J Shadbegian, 1997. "Environmental Regulation, Investment Timing, and Technology Choice," Working Papers 97-9, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Increasing Returns and Long-Run Growth,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2232, David K. Levine.
- Kokko, Ari, 1994. "Technology, market characteristics, and spillovers," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 279-293, April.
- Verspagen, Bart, 1995. "Convergence in the global economy. A broad historical viewpoint," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 143-165, June.
- Nancy T. Gallini, 1992. "Patent Policy and Costly Imitation," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 23(1), pages 52-63, Spring.
- Elhanan Helpman, 1992.
"Innovation, Imitation, and Intellectual Property Rights,"
NBER Working Papers
4081, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1993. "Innovation, Imitation, and Intellectual Property Rights," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(6), pages 1247-1280, November.
- Helpman, E., 1992. "Innovation, Imitation and intellectual Property Rights," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1597, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Johnson, Simon & Robinson, James A, 2004.
"Institutions as the Fundamental Cause of Long-Run Growth,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4458, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson & James Robinson, 2004. "Institutions as the Fundamental Cause of Long-Run Growth," NBER Working Papers 10481, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson & James Robinson, 2004. "Institutions As The Fundamental Cause Of Long-Run Growth," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 002889, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Fabienne Ilzkovitz & Adriaan Dierx & Viktoria Kovacs & Nuno Sousa, 2007. "Steps towards a deeper economic integration: the internal market in the 21st century," European Economy - Economic Papers 2008 - 2015 271, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Deardorff, Alan V, 1992. "Welfare Effects of Global Patent Protection," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 59(233), pages 35-51, February.
- Lai, Edwin L. -C., 1998. "International intellectual property rights protection and the rate of product innovation," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 133-153, February.
- Knack, Stephen & Keefer, Philip, 1995. "Institutions and Economic Performance: Cross-Country Tests Using Alternative Institutional Indicators," MPRA Paper 23118, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Abramovitz, Moses, 1986. "Catching Up, Forging Ahead, and Falling Behind," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 46(02), pages 385-406, June.
- Philippe Martin & Gianmarco Ottaviano, 2001.
"Growth and Agglomeration,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Gilbert, Richard J & Newbery, David M G, 1982. "Preemptive Patenting and the Persistence of Monopoly," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(3), pages 514-526, June.
- Ernest Miguélez & Rosina Moreno & Jordi Suriñach, 2010. "Inventors on the move: Tracing inventors' mobility and its spatial distribution," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 89(2), pages 251-274, 06.
- Corinne Autant-Bernard & Sylvie Chalaye & F. Manca & Rosina Moreno & J. Suriñach,, 2010. "Measuring the adoption of innovation. A typology of EU countries based on the innovation survey," Post-Print halshs-00667681, HAL.
- Josh Lerner, 2002. "Patent Protection and Innovation Over 150 Years," NBER Working Papers 8977, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul Romer, 1989.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
NBER Working Papers
3210, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aghion, Philippe & Howitt, Peter, 2005. "Growth with Quality-Improving Innovations: An Integrated Framework," Handbook of Economic Growth, in: Philippe Aghion & Steven Durlauf (ed.), Handbook of Economic Growth, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 2, pages 67-110 Elsevier.
- Redmond, William H., 2004. "Interconnectivity in diffusion of innovations and market competition," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(11), pages 1295-1302, November.
- Baker, Laurence C., 2001. "Managed care and technology adoption in health care: evidence from magnetic resonance imaging," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 395-421, May.
- Sylvie Charlot & Gilles Duranton, 2006. "Cities and Workplace Communication: Some Quantitative French Evidence," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 43(8), pages 1365-1394, July.
- Olav Sorenson & Jan W. Rivkin & Lee Fleming, 2010.
"Complexity, Networks and Knowledge Flows,"
in: The Handbook of Evolutionary Economic Geography, chapter 15
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Francesco Crespi, 2004. "Notes on the Determinants of Innovation: A Multi-Perspective Analysis," Working Papers 2004.42, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Corinne Autant-Bernard & Pascal Billand & Nadine Massard & David Frachisse, 2007.
"Social distance versus spatial distance in R & D cooperation: Empirical evidence from European collaboration choices in micro and nanotechnologies,"
- Corinne Autant-Bernard & Pascal Billand & David Frachisse & Nadine Massard, 2007. "Social distance versus spatial distance in R&D cooperation: Empirical evidence from European collaboration choices in micro and nanotechnologies," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 86(3), pages 495-519, 08.
- Leiponen, Aija, 2005. "Skills and innovation," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 23(5-6), pages 303-323, June.
- Fabio Manca & Rosina Moreno & Jordi Suriñach, 2011. "The Role of the EU Internal Market in the Adoption of Innovation," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(6), pages 1091-1116, June.
- Keith E. Maskus, 2000. "Intellectual Property Rights in the Global Economy," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 99, 03.
- Jan Fagerberg, 2006. "Innovation, technology and the global knowledge economy: Challenges for future growth," Working Papers on Innovation Studies 20060301, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Stefano Breschi & Francesco Lissoni, 2003. "Mobility and Social Networks: Localised Knowledge Spillovers Revisited," KITeS Working Papers 142, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Mar 2003.
- Kenneth Arrow, 1962. "Economic Welfare and the Allocation of Resources for Invention," NBER Chapters, in: The Rate and Direction of Inventive Activity: Economic and Social Factors, pages 609-626 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Rachel Griffith & Rupert Harrison & Helen Simpson, 2006. "The link between product market reform, innovation and EU macroeconomic performance," European Economy - Economic Papers 2008 - 2015 243, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ira:wpaper:201413. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alicia García)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.