Choice via Grouping Procedures
In this paper, we consider a natural procedure of decision-making, called a “Grouping Choice Method”, which leads to a kind of bounded rational choices. In this procedure a decision-maker (DM) first divides the set of available alternatives into some groups and in each group she chooses the best element (winner) for her preference relation. Then, among the winners in the first round, she selects the best one as her final choice. We characterize Grouping Choice Methods in three different ways. First, we show that a choice function is a Grouping Choice Method if and only if it is a Rational Shortlist Method (Manzini and Mariotti, 2007) in which the first rationale is transitive. Second, Grouping Choice Methods are axiomatically characterized by means of a new axiom called Elimination, in addition to two well-known axioms, Expansion and Weak WARP (Manzini and Mariotti, 2007). Third, Grouping Choice Methods are also characterized by a weak version of Path Independence.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.econ.hit-u.ac.jp/~cces/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tadenuma, Koichi, 2002.
"Egalitarian-Equivalence and the Pareto Principle for Social Preferences,"
2002-08, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
- Koichi Tadenuma, 2005. "Egalitarian-equivalence and the Pareto principle for social preferences," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 455-473, 06.
- Tadenuma, Koichi, 2002. "Egalitarian-Equivalence and the Pareto Principle for Social Preferences," Discussion Paper 128, Center for Intergenerational Studies, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Rohan Dutta & Sean Horan, 2013. "Inferring Rationales from Choice : Identification for Rational Shortlist Methods," Cahiers de recherche 09-2013, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Houy, Nicolas & Tadenuma, Koichi, 2009.
"Lexicographic compositions of multiple criteria for decision making,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 144(4), pages 1770-1782, July.
- Houy, Nicolas & Tadenuma, Koichi, 2007. "Lexicographic Compositions of Multiple Criteria for Decision Making," Discussion Papers 2007-13, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
- Houy Nicolas, 2007. "Rationality and Order-Dependent Sequential Rationality," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 62(2), pages 119-134, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hit:ccesdp:52. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Digital Resources Section, Hitotsubashi University Library)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Digital Resources Section, Hitotsubashi University Library to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.