The Clean Development Mechanism in a Global Carbon Market
This paper discusses the role of the Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) on the market for carbon quotas and countriesÕ commitments to reduce their carbon emission levels. We show that the CDM contributes to an efficient funding of clean technology investments in least developed countries. However, the CDM is not neutral on the global level of carbon emissions as it entices countries to raise their emission caps. The CDM may also make inappropriate the inclusion of any country that takes no emission abatement commitment. It can even make inefficient a countryÕs decision to commit to an emission target.
|Date of creation:||09 Oct 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 3 Gagarinskaya Street, 191187 St. Petersburg|
Phone: +7 (812) 275-1130
Web page: http://www.eu.spb.ru/econ/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Antoine Dechezleprêtre & Matthieu Glachant & Yann Ménière, 2009.
"Technology transfer by CDM projects: A comparison of Brazil, China, India and Mexico,"
- Dechezleprêtre, Antoine & Glachant, Matthieu & Ménière, Yann, 2009. "Technology transfer by CDM projects: A comparison of Brazil, China, India and Mexico," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 703-711, February.
- K. Millock, 2002.
"Technology transfers in the Clean Development Mechanism: an incentives issue,"
- Millock, Katrin, 2002. "Technology transfers in the Clean Development Mechanism: an incentives issue," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(03), pages 449-466, July.
- Fleurbaey,Marc & Maniquet,François, 2011.
"A Theory of Fairness and Social Welfare,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521715348, November.
- Jean-Marc Burniaux & Jean Château & Rob Dellink & Romain Duval & Stéphanie Jamet, 2009. "The Economics of Climate Change Mitigation: How to Build the Necessary Global Action in a Cost-Effective Manner," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 701, OECD Publishing.
- Schneider, Malte & Holzer, Andreas & Hoffmann, Volker H., 2008. "Understanding the CDM's contribution to technology transfer," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 2920-2928, August.
- Michaelowa, Axel & Jotzo, Frank, 2005. "Transaction costs, institutional rigidities and the size of the clean development mechanism," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 511-523, March.
- Brechet, Thierry & Lussis, Benoit, 2006.
"The contribution of the clean development mechanism to national climate policies,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 28(9), pages 981-994, December.
- BRECHET, Thierry & LUSSIS, Benoît, . "The contribution of the clean development mechanism to national climate policies," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1886, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Duranton, Gilles & Martin, Philippe & Mayer, Thierry & Mayneris, Florian, 2010. "The Economics of Clusters: Lessons from the French Experience," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199592203, December.
- Fankhauser, Samuel & Martin, Nat, 2010. "The economics of the CDM levy: Revenue potential, tax incidence and distortionary effects," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 357-363, January.
- Helm, Carsten, 2003. "International emissions trading with endogenous allowance choices," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(12), pages 2737-2747, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eus:ce3swp:0612. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mikhail Pakhnin)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.