Farm Pesticide, Rice Production, and Human Health
Pesticides of various kinds have been used on a large scale in China since the 1950s to protect crops from damages inflicted by insects and diseases. Annual pesticide production reached more than 500,000 metric tons after the mid-1990s (Huang et al., 2000). China was the second largest pesticide using country in the world in the 1980s and is the largest pesticide-using country in the world in the 1990s (Wang, 1999). The overall goal of this study is to have a better understanding of both positive and negative impacts of farm pesticide use on rice production and farmer's health.
|Date of creation:||May 2000|
|Date of revision:||May 2000|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eepsea.org|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shenggen Fan, 1991.
"Effects of Technological Change and Institutional Reform on Production Growth in Chinese Agriculture,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 73(2), pages 266-275.
- Fan, Shenggen, 1990. "Effects Of Technological Change And Institutional Reform On Production Growth In Chinese Agriculture," Staff Papers 13454, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Huang, Jikun & Rozelle, Scott, 1996. "Technological change: Rediscovering the engine of productivity growth in China's rural economy," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 337-369, May.
- Widawsky, David & Rozelle, Scott & Jin, Songqing & Huang, Jikun, 1998. "Pesticide productivity, host-plant resistance and productivity in China," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 19(1-2), pages 203-217, September.
- Widawsky, David & Rozelle, Scott & Jin, Songqing & Huang, Jikun, 1998. "Pesticide productivity, host-plant resistance and productivity in China," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 19(1-2), September.
- Lin, Justin Yifu, 1991. "The household responsibility system reform and the adoption of hybrid rice in China," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 353-372, October.
- Prabhu L. Pingali & Cynthia B. Marquez & Florencia G. Palis, 1994. "Pesticides and Philippine Rice Farmer Health: A Medical and Economic Analysis," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 76(3), pages 587-592. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)