How Monetary Policy is made: Two Canadian Tales
We examine policy rate recommendations of the Bank of Canada’s Governing Council (GC) and its shadow, the C.D. Howe Institute’s Monetary Policy Council (MPC). Individual recommendations of the MPC are observed but not those of the GC. Differences in the two committee’s recommendations are small but persistent. The MPC is more responsive to the output gap than its GC counterpart. Both committees respond similarly to inflation. Disagreement within the MPC and with the GC is more likely when rates are rising. Finally, the Bank’s forward guidance had a significant influence on the MPC’s views about the future inflation path.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: http://cama.crawford.anu.edu.au
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- George A. Kahn, 2012.
"The Taylor Rule and the Practice of Central Banking,"
in: Evan F. Koenig & Robert Leeson & George A. Kahn (ed.), The Taylor Rule and the Transformation of Monetary Policy, chapter 3
Hoover Institution, Stanford University.
- Pier Francesco Asso & George A. Kahn & Robert Leeson, 2010. "The Taylor rule and the practice of central banking," Research Working Paper RWP 10-05, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Matthias Neuenkirch & Pierre Siklos, 2011.
"What’s in a Second Opinion? Shadowing the ECB and the Bank of England,"
MAGKS Papers on Economics
201131, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- Neuenkirch, Matthias & Siklos, Pierre L., 2013. "What's in a second opinion? Shadowing the ECB and the Bank of England," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 135-148.
- Matthias Neuenkirch & Pierre L. Siklos, 2013. "What's in a Second Opinion? Shadowing the ECB and the Bank of England," CAMA Working Papers 2013-46, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Ellen E. Meade & David Stasavage, 2004.
"Publicity of Debate and the Incentive to Dissent: Evidence from the US Federal Reserve,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0608, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- EllenE. Meade & David Stasavage, 2008. "Publicity of Debate and the Incentive to Dissent: Evidence from the US Federal Reserve," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 118(528), pages 695-717, 04.
- Richard H. Clarida, 2012. "What Has—and Has Not—Been Learned about Monetary Policy in a Low‐Inflation Environment? A Review of the 2000s," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 44, pages 123-140, 02.
- John B. Taylor, 2007.
"Housing and Monetary Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
13682, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John B. Taylor, 2007. "Housing and monetary policy," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 463-476.
- Andersson, Malin & Dillen, Hans & Sellin, Peter, 2006. "Monetary policy signaling and movements in the term structure of interest rates," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(8), pages 1815-1855, November.
- Richard Clarida, 2001.
"The Empirics of Monetary Policy Rules in Open Economies,"
NBER Working Papers
8603, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Clarida, Richard H, 2001. "The Empirics of Monetary Policy Rules in Open Economies," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(4), pages 315-23, October.
- Matthias Neuenkirch & Pierre L. Siklos, 2014.
"When is Lift-off? Evaluating Forward Guidance from the Shadow,"
Research Papers in Economics
2014-03, University of Trier, Department of Economics.
- Matthias Neuenkirch & Pierre Siklos, 2014. "When is Lift-Off? Evaluating Forward Guidance from the Shadow," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 25(5), pages 819-839, November.
- M. Neuenkirch, P. Siklos, 2014. "When Is Lift-Off? Evaluating Forward Guidance From The Shadow," LCERPA Working Papers wm0066, Laurier Centre for Economic Research and Policy Analysis.
- Matthias Neuenkirch, 2013.
"Predicting Bank of England's asset purchase decisions with MPC voting records,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(13), pages 1275-1278, September.
- Matthias Neuenkirch, 2013. "Predicting Bank of England’s Asset Purchase Decisions with MPC Voting Records," MAGKS Papers on Economics 201322, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- Pierre L. Siklos, 2009. "As Good As It Gets? The International Dimension to Canada's Monetary Policy Strategy Choices," C.D. Howe Institute Commentary, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 292, July.
- Pierre L. Siklos, 2003. "Assessing the Impact of Changes in Transparency and Accountability at the Bank of Canada," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 29(3), pages 279-299, September.
- Michael Parkin, 2009. "What is the Ideal Monetary Policy Regime? Improving the Bank of Canada's Inflation-targeting Program," C.D. Howe Institute Commentary, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 279, January.
- Michael Parkin, 2011. "Overnight Moves: The Bank of Canada Should Start to Raise Interest Rates Now," C.D. Howe Institute Backgrounder, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 139, July.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Job Swank & Otto H. Swank & Bauke Visser, 2008. "How Committees of Experts Interact with the Outside World: Some Theory, and Evidence from the FOMC," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 6(2-3), pages 478-486, 04-05.
- Fujiki, Hiroshi, 2005. "The Monetary Policy Committee and the Incentive Problem: A Selective Survey," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 23(S1), pages 37-82, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:een:camaaa:2014-53. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Cama Admin)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.