Race and ethnic inequality in health and health care in Colombia
In this paper we explore race and ethnic health inequalities in Colombia. We first characterize the situation of Afro-Colombians and indigenous populations in Colombia. Second, we document racial/ethnic disparities in health outcomes and access to health care using data from the Living Standards Survey and the evaluation of the Familias en Acción program. Third, we set up a statistical model that allows us to test whether some of the health inequalities that are observed still remain after controlling for a wide range of individual and household observed characteristics, including access to health care. The results indicate that most racial and ethnic disparities in health and access to health care disappear once we control for socioeconomic characteristics of individuals, employment status and characteristics of the job and geographic location among other things. Based on these findings we make some specific policy recommendations aimed at improving the status of racial minorities in Colombia.
|Date of creation:||03 Jan 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Deon Filmer & Lant Pritchett, 1999. "The Effect of Household Wealth on Educational Attainment: Evidence from 35 Countries," Population and Development Review, The Population Council, Inc., vol. 25(1), pages 85-120.
- Wagstaff, Adam, 2002.
"Inequality aversion, health inequalities, and health achievement,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2765, The World Bank.
- Wagstaff, Adam, 2002. "Inequality aversion, health inequalities and health achievement," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 627-641, July.
- Balsa, Ana I. & McGuire, Thomas G., 2001. "Statistical discrimination in health care," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 881-907, November.
- Psacharopoulos, George & Velez, Eduardo & Patrinos, Harry Anthony, 1994. "Education and earnings in Paraguay," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 321-327.
- Wagstaff, Adam, 2002. "Inequalities in health in developing countries - swimming against the tide?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2795, The World Bank.
- Willard G. Manning, Jr. & Joseph P. Newhouse & John E. Ware, Jr., 1982. "The Status of Health in Demand Estimation; or, Beyond Excellent, Good, Fair, Poor," NBER Chapters, in: Economic Aspects of Health, pages 141-184 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:col:000123:003413. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucía Fenney Pérez)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.