Trends in Socioeconomic Inequalities in Under-Five Mortality: Evidence from Sao Paulo, Brazil, 1970-1991
In this paper, the author examines the effects of social and economic development on inequalities in under-five mortality for the state of Sao Paulo, Brazil, over a twenty-one year period during which much of the infant and child mortality transition unfolded. The author investigated whether the improvements in infant and child survival were accompanied by declining inequalities. The author focused on inequality in under-five mortality by household wealth and by mother's education and used microdata from Brazilian censuses conducted in 1970, 1980, and 1991. The author found that inequality according to household wealth underwent a clear decline over the study period. Inequality according to mother's education first declined then increased, with a net rise over the study period. When the author controlled for background demographic and socioeconomic characteristics, inequalities in under-five mortality according to household wealth remained roughly constant. On the other hand, inequality according to mother's education increased substantially.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.rand.org/pubs/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wagstaff, Adam, 2002. "Inequalities in health in developing countries - swimming against the tide?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2795, The World Bank.
- Samuel H. Preston & Michael R. Haines, 1991. "Fatal Years: Child Mortality in Late Nineteenth-Century America," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number pres91-1, December.
- Filmer, Deon & Pritchett, Lant, 1998. "Estimating wealth effects without expenditure data - or tears : with an application to educational enrollments in states of India," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1994, The World Bank.
- Wagstaff, Adam & Watanabe, Naoko, 2000. "Socioeconomic inequalities in child malnutrition in the developing world," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2434, The World Bank.
- Kakwani, Nanak & Wagstaff, Adam & van Doorslaer, Eddy, 1997. "Socioeconomic inequalities in health: Measurement, computation, and statistical inference," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 87-103, March.
- Contoyannis, Paul & Forster, Martin, 1999.
"The distribution of health and income: a theoretical framework,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 603-620, October.
- Paul Contoyannis & Martin Forster, . "The Distribution of Health and Income: A Theoretical Framework," Discussion Papers 98/22, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Julie DaVanzo & Jean-Pierre Habicht, 1986. "Infant mortality decline in Malaysia, 1946–1975: The roles of changes in variables and changes in the structure of relationships," Demography, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 143-160, May.
- Wagstaff, Adam & Nga Nguyet Nguyen, 2002. "Poverty and survival prospects of Vietnamese children under Doi Moi," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2832, The World Bank.
- Carl Schmertmann & Diana Oya Sawyer, 1996. "Migration bias in indirect estimates of regional childhood mortality levels," Mathematical Population Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(2), pages 69-93.
- Deon Filmer & Lant Pritchett, 1999. "The Effect of Household Wealth on Educational Attainment: Evidence from 35 Countries," Population and Development Review, The Population Council, Inc., vol. 25(1), pages 85-120.
- Levison, D. & Lam, D., 1990.
"Declining Inequality In Schooling In Brazil And Its Effects On Inequality In Earning,"
618, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Lam, David & Levison, Deborah, 1991. "Declining inequality in schooling in Brazil and its effects on inequality in earnings," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1-2), pages 199-225, November.
- Braveman, Paula & Tarimo, Eleuther, 2002. "Social inequalities in health within countries: not only an issue for affluent nations," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 54(11), pages 1621-1635, June.
- Psacharopoulos, George, et al, 1995. "Poverty and Income Inequality in Latin America during the 1980s," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 41(3), pages 245-64, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ran:wpaper:02-15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benson Wong)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.