The Influence of Stock Market Listing on Human Resource Managment: Evidence for France and Britain
We use data from REPONSE 2004 and WERS 2004 to analyse whether approaches to HRM differ according to whether an establishment is part of a company with a stock exchange listing. In both countries we find that listing is positively associated with teamworking and performance-related pay, while in France, but not in Britain, it is also linked to worker autonomy and training. Our findings are inconsistent with the claim that shareholder pressure operates as a constraint on the adoption of high-performance workplace practices. The pattern is similar in the two countries, but with a slightly stronger tendency for listing to be associated with high-performance workplace practices in France.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.cbr.cam.ac.uk/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carlin, Wendy & Mayer, Colin, 2003.
"Finance, investment, and growth,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 191-226, July.
- Wendy Carlin & Colin Mayer, 1999. "Finance, Investment and Growth," OFRC Working Papers Series 1999fe09, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Carlin, Wendy & Mayer, Colin, 1999. "Finance, Investment and Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 2233, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Colin Mayer & Wendy Carlin, 1999. "Finance, Investment and Growth," Economics Series Working Papers 1999-FE-09, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Priya P. Lele & Mathias M. Siems, 2007.
"Shareholder Protection: A Leximetric Approach,"
Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2006
170, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Mathias Siems & Priya Lele, 2006. "Shareholder Protection: A Leximetric Approach," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp324, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996.
"A Survey of Corporate Governance,"
NBER Working Papers
5554, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1995. "A Survey of Corporate Governance," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1741, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1980. "Agency Problems and the Theory of the Firm," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(2), pages 288-307, April.
- Simon DEAKIN & Priya LELE & Mathias SIEMS, 2007.
"The evolution of labour law: Calibrating and comparing regulatory regimes,"
International Labour Review,
International Labour Organization, vol. 146(3-4), pages 133-162, 09.
- Simon Deakin & Priya Lele & Mathias Siems, 2007. "The Evolution of Labour Law: Calibrating and Comparing Regulatory Regimes," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp352, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Juan Botero & Simeon Djankov & Rafael LaPorta & Florencio López-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, .
"The Regulation of Labor,"
19483, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Tirole, Jean, 2001.
Econometric Society, vol. 69(1), pages 1-35, January.
- Richard Belfield & Salima Benhamou & David Marsden, 2007.
"Incentive pay systems and the management of human resources in France and Great Britain,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
3628, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Richard Belfield & Salima Benhamou & David Marsden, 2007. "Incentive Pay Systems and the Management of Human Resources in France and Great Britain," CEP Discussion Papers dp0796, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- John Armour & Simon Deakin & Suzanne J. Konzelmann, 2003. "Shareholder Primacy and the Trajectory of UK Corporate Governance," British Journal of Industrial Relations, London School of Economics, vol. 41(3), pages 531-555, 09.
- Jerome P. Reiter & Elaine L. Zanutto & Larry W. Hunter, 2005. "Analytical Modeling in Complex Surveys of Work Practices," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 59(1), pages 82-100, October.
- Suzanne Konzelmann & Neil Conway & Linda Trenberth & Frank Wilkinson, 2006. "Corporate Governance and Human Resource Management," British Journal of Industrial Relations, London School of Economics, vol. 44(3), pages 541-567, 09.
- John Armour & Simon Deakin & Suzanne J. Konzelmann, 2003. "Shareholder Primacy and the Trajectory of UK Corporate Governance," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp266, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Marco Becht & Julian Franks & Colin Mayer & Stefano Rossi, 2008. "Returns to Shareholder Activism," OFRC Working Papers Series 2008fe07, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cbr:cbrwps:wp366. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Howard Cobb)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.