Differences in social capital between 54 Western European regions
Beugelsdijk S. and Van Schaik T. (2005) Differences in social capital between 54 Western European regions, Regional Studies 39 , 1053-1064. Based on the extant literature, a newly developed index measuring social capital at the regional level in Europe is presented. It is shown that there are large regional differences on this social capital index. It was tested if higher scores on this social capital index correlate with higher levels of economic development and regional economic growth in 54 Western European regions. Though further research is required, these preliminary results suggest a positive relationship exists between social capital and regional economic development. The paper concludes with suggestions for future empirical research.
Volume (Year): 39 (2005)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CRES20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CRES20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen Knack & Philip Keefer, 1997. "Does Social Capital Have an Economic Payoff? A Cross-Country Investigation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(4), pages 1251-1288.
- Hospers, Gert-Jan & Beugelsdijk, Sjoerd, 2002. "Regional Cluster Policies: Learning by Comparing?," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(3), pages 381-402.
- Robert J. Barro, 2012.
"Inflation and Economic Growth,"
CEMA Working Papers
568, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Steven N. Durlauf, 2002.
"On the Empirics of Social Capital,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(483), pages 459-479, November.
- Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1995.
"Transfers, social safety nets and economic growth,"
Economics Working Papers
139, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Xavier Sala-I-Martin, 1997. "Transfers, Social Safety Nets, and Economic Growth," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 44(1), pages 81-102, March.
- John F. Helliwell, 1996. "Economic Growth and Social Capital in Asia," NBER Working Papers 5470, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Glaeser, Edward Ludwig & Laibson, David I. & Scheinkman, Jose A. & Soutter, Christine L., 2000.
4481497, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Sjoerd Beugelsdijk & Ton Van Schaik, 2003.
"Social capital and regional economic growth,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa03p518, European Regional Science Association.
- Durlauf,S.N., 2000.
"Bowling alone : a review essay,"
29, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Zak, Paul J & Knack, Stephen, 2001. "Trust and Growth," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(470), pages 295-321, April.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & David Romer & David N. Weil, 1992.
"A Contribution to the Empirics of Economic Growth,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 107(2), pages 407-437.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:regstd:v:39:y:2005:i:8:p:1053-1064. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.