Differences in social capital between 54 Western European regions
Beugelsdijk S. and Van Schaik T. (2005) Differences in social capital between 54 Western European regions, Regional Studies 39 , 1053-1064. Based on the extant literature, a newly developed index measuring social capital at the regional level in Europe is presented. It is shown that there are large regional differences on this social capital index. It was tested if higher scores on this social capital index correlate with higher levels of economic development and regional economic growth in 54 Western European regions. Though further research is required, these preliminary results suggest a positive relationship exists between social capital and regional economic development. The paper concludes with suggestions for future empirical research.
Volume (Year): 39 (2005)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CRES20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CRES20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zak, Paul J & Knack, Stephen, 2001. "Trust and Growth," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(470), pages 295-321, April.
- Knack, Stephen & Keefer, Philip, 1997. "Does Social Capital Have an Economic Payoff? A Cross-Country Investigation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 112(4), pages 1251-88, November.
- Robert J. Barro, 2013.
"Inflation and Economic Growth,"
Annals of Economics and Finance,
Society for AEF, vol. 14(1), pages 121-144, May.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & David Romer & David N. Weil, 1990.
"A Contribution to the Empirics of Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3541, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Durlauf,S.N., 2001.
"On the empirics of social capital,"
3, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Durlauf,S.N., 2000.
"Bowling alone : a review essay,"
29, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Hospers, Gert-Jan & Beugelsdijk, Sjoerd, 2002. "Regional Cluster Policies: Learning by Comparing?," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(3), pages 381-402.
- Edward L. Glaeser & David I. Laibson & José A. Scheinkman & Christine L. Soutter, 2000.
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 115(3), pages 811-846, August.
- Beugelsdijk, S. & van Schaik, A.B.T.M., 2001.
"Social Capital and Regional Economic Growth,"
2001-102, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- John F. Helliwell, 1996. "Economic Growth and Social Capital in Asia," NBER Working Papers 5470, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1995.
"Transfers, social safety nets and economic growth,"
Economics Working Papers
139, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Xavier Sala-I-Martin, 1997. "Transfers, Social Safety Nets, and Economic Growth," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 44(1), pages 81-102, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:regstd:v:39:y:2005:i:8:p:1053-1064. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.