The changing role of guanxi in influencing the development of entrepreneurial companies: a case study of the emergence of pharmaceutical companies in China
Abstract “Guanxi” is a term in Chinese referring to the reciprocal nature of interpersonal relationships. Its attributes, which are specific to Chinese culture, have been the focus of recent literature. Whereas the impact of guanxi seems to be quite similar to that of general relationships, ties or connections, it is characterized by a number of different dimensions. In this paper, we studied 44 entrepreneurial companies in the pharmaceutical industry in China to examine these attributes in greater detail. We use a system dynamics model to simulate the influence of various guanxi variables – the strength, scale and structure of guanxi – on the development of entrepreneurial companies.
Volume (Year): 12 (2016)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/entrepreneurship/journal/11365|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cantner, Uwe & Graf, Holger, 2006.
"The network of innovators in Jena: An application of social network analysis,"
Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 463-480, May.
- Uwe Cantner & Holger Graf, 2004. "The Network of Innovators in Jena: An Application of Social Network Analysis," Jenaer Schriften zur Wirtschaftswissenschaft 04/2004, Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Caliendo, Marco & Fossen, Frank & Kritikos, Alexander, 2012. "Trust, positive reciprocity, and negative reciprocity: Do these traits impact entrepreneurial dynamics?," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 394-409.
- Caliendo, Marco & Fossen, Frank M. & Kritikos, Alexander S., 2010. "Trust, Positive Reciprocity, and Negative Reciprocity: Do These Traits Impact Entrepreneurial Dynamics?," IZA Discussion Papers 5370, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Marco Caliendo & Frank M. Fossen & Alexander S. Kritikos, 2010. "Trust, Positive Reciprocity, and Negative Reciprocity: Do These Traits Impact Entrepreneurial Dynamics?," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1085, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Marco Caliendo & Frank M. Fossen & Alexander S. Kritikos, 2010. "Trust, Positive Reciprocity, and Negative Reciprocity: Do These Traits Impact Entrepreneurial Dynamics?," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 348, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- De Clercq, Dirk & Danis, Wade M. & Dakhli, Mourad, 2010. "The moderating effect of institutional context on the relationship between associational activity and new business activity in emerging economies," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 85-101, February.
- Orsenigo, L. & Pammolli, F. & Riccaboni, Massimo, 2001. "Technological change and network dynamics: Lessons from the pharmaceutical industry," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 485-508, March.
- Zolin, Roxanne & Kuckertz, Andreas & Kautonen, Teemu, 2011. "Human resource flexibility and strong ties in entrepreneurial teams," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(10), pages 1097-1103, October.
- Gordon Walker & Bruce Kogut & Weijian Shan, 1997. "Social Capital, Structural Holes and the Formation of an Industry Network," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 8(2), pages 109-125, April.
- Davidsson, Per & Honig, Benson, 2003. "The role of social and human capital among nascent entrepreneurs," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 301-331, May.
- Weber, Christiana & Weber, Barbara, 2011. "Exploring the antecedents of social liabilities in CVC triads--A dynamic social network perspective," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 255-272, March.
- Jeon, Chanwoong & Shin, Juneseuk, 2014. "Long-term renewable energy technology valuation using system dynamics and Monte Carlo simulation: Photovoltaic technology case," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 66(C), pages 447-457.
- Boso, Nathaniel & Story, Vicky M. & Cadogan, John W., 2013. "Entrepreneurial orientation, market orientation, network ties, and performance: Study of entrepreneurial firms in a developing economy," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 708-727.
- McNally, Christopher A., 2011. "China's Changing Guanxi Capitalism: Private Entrepreneurs between Leninist Control and Relentless Accumulation," Business and Politics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(02), pages 1-29, August.
- Minniti, Maria, 2005. "Entrepreneurship and network externalities," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 1-27, May.
- Schutjens, Veronique & Stam, Erik, 2003. "The Evolution and Nature of Young Firm Networks: A Longitudinal Perspective," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 21(2), pages 115-134, September.
- Wang, Kai & Hong, Jin & Marinova, Dora & Zhu, Liang, 2009. "Evolution and governance of the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industry of China," Mathematics and Computers in Simulation (MATCOM), Elsevier, vol. 79(9), pages 2947-2956.
- Lerner, Miri & Brush, Candida & Hisrich, Robert, 1997. "Israeli women entrepreneurs: An examination of factors affecting performance," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 315-339, July.
- Lau, Chung Ming & Bruton, Garry D., 2011. "Strategic orientations and strategies of high technology ventures in two transition economies," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 371-380, July.
- Leung, Aegean & Zhang, Jing & Wong, Poh Kam & Foo, Maw Der, 2006. "The use of networks in human resource acquisition for entrepreneurial firms: Multiple "fit" considerations," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 664-686, September.
- Kelley, Dennis & Coner, Joshua Klatte & Lyles, Marjorie A., 2013. "Chinese foreign direct investment in the United States: Location choice determinants and strategic implications for the State of Indiana," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 443-451.
- Bat Batjargal & Mannie M. Liu, 2002. "Entrepreneurs' Access to Private Equity in China: The Role of Social Capital," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 453, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Chen, Yao-Tung, 2011. "A study on the role of guanxi in entrepreneurship and employment," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 2049-2053, July.
- McNally Christopher A, 2011. "China's Changing Guanxi Capitalism: Private Entrepreneurs between Leninist Control and Relentless Accumulation," Business and Politics, De Gruyter, vol. 13(2), pages 1-31, August.
- Bruderl, Josef & Preisendorfer, Peter, 1998. "Network Support and the Success of Newly Founded Businesses," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 213-225, May.
- Don Y. Lee, 2001. "The effects of entrepreneurial personality, background and network activities on venture growth," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(4), pages 583-602, 06.
- Lechner, Christian & Dowling, Michael & Welpe, Isabell, 2006. "Firm networks and firm development: The role of the relational mix," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 514-540, July.
- Ferriani, Simone & Cattani, Gino & Baden-Fuller, Charles, 2009. "The relational antecedents of project-entrepreneurship: Network centrality, team composition and project performance," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(10), pages 1545-1558, December.
- Steve Lovett & Lee C Simmons & Raja Kali, 1999. "Guanxi Versus the Market: Ethics and Efficiency," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 30(2), pages 231-247, June.
- Eberlein, Robert L. & Peterson, David W., 1992. "Understanding models with Vensim(TM)," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 216-219, May.
- Chun Guo & Jane K. Miller, 2010. "Guanxi Dynamics and Entrepreneurial Firm Creation and Development in China," Management and Organization Review, The International Association for Chinese Management Research, vol. 6(2), pages 267-291, 07.
- Guo, Chun & Miller, Jane K., 2010. "Guanxi Dynamics and Entrepreneurial Firm Creation and Development in China," Management and Organization Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(02), pages 267-291, July.
- Parker, Simon C., 2008. "The economics of formal business networks," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 627-640, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:intemj:v:12:y:2016:i:1:d:10.1007_s11365-014-0323-6. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.