Dependence on External Finance: An Inherent Industry Characteristic?
Rajan and Zingales (1998) use U.S. Compustat firm data for the 1980s to obtain measures of manufacturing sectorsâ€™ Dependence on External Finance (DEF). They take any differences in these measures to be structural/technological and thus applicable to other countries. Their joint assumptions about how to obtain representative values of DEF by sector and about why these values differ fundamentally have been adopted in additional studies seeking to show that sectors benefit unequally from a countryâ€™s level of financial development. However, the assumptions as such have not been examined. The present study, conducted with cyclically adjusted annual measures of DEF derived from U.S. industry data for 1977â€“1997, attempts to do so using data that are aggregated by sector. Copyright Springer Science + Business Media, LLC 2006
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Berger, Allen N. & Udell, Gregory F., 2006. "A more complete conceptual framework for SME finance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(11), pages 2945-2966, November.
- Stulz, Rene M., 2005.
"The Limits of Financial Globalization,"
Working Paper Series
2005-1, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Guiso, Luigi & Jappelli, Tullio & Padula, Mario & Pagano, Marco, 2004.
"Financial Market Integration and Economic Growth in the EU,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4395, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Luigi Guiso & Tullio Jappelli & Mario Padula & Marco Pagano, 2004. "Financial market integration and economic growth in the EU," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 19(40), pages 523-577, October.
- Luigi Guiso & Tullio Jappelli & Mario Padula & Marco Pagano, 2004. "Financial Market Integration and Economic Growth in the EU," CSEF Working Papers 118, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Ross Levine, 2004.
"Finance and Growth: Theory and Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
10766, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rajan, Raghuram G & Zingales, Luigi, 1998.
"Financial Dependence and Growth,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 88(3), pages 559-86, June.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, . "Financial Dependence and Growth," CRSP working papers 344, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1996. "Financial Dependence and Growth," NBER Working Papers 5758, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Luigi Guiso & Paola Sapienza & Luigi Zingales, 2002.
"Does Local Financial Development Matter?,"
NBER Working Papers
8923, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bruno Tissot & Les Skoczylas, 2005. "Revisiting recent productivity developments across OECD countries," BIS Working Papers 182, Bank for International Settlements.
- Torsten SlÃ¸k & Hali J. Edison & Luca Antonio Ricci & Ross Levine, 2002.
"International Financial Integration and Economic Growth,"
IMF Working Papers
02/145, International Monetary Fund.
- Edison, Hali J. & Levine, Ross & Ricci, Luca & Slok, Torsten, 2002. "International financial integration and economic growth," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 749-776, November.
- Hali J. Edison & Ross Levine & Luca Ricci & Torsten Slok, 2002. "International Financial Integration and Economic Growth," NBER Working Papers 9164, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kovenock, D. & Phillips, G.M., 1995.
"Capital Structure and Product Market Behavior: An Examination of Plant Exit and Investment Decisions,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
313.95, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Kovenock, Dan & Phillips, Gordon M, 1997. "Capital Structure and Product Market Behavior: An Examination of Plant Exit and Investment Decisions," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(3), pages 767-803.
- Dan Kovenock & Gordon M Phillips, 1995. "Capital Structure and Product Market Behavior: An Examination of Plant Exit and Investment Decisions," Working Papers 95-4, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Thomas Barnebeck Andersen & Finn Tarp, 2003. "Financial liberalization, financial development and economic growth in LDCs," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(2), pages 189-209.
- Nicola Cetorelli & Philip E. Strahan, 2004.
"Finance as a Barrier to Entry: Bank Competition and Industry Structure in Local U.S. Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
10832, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nicola Cetorelli & Philip E. Strahan, 2006. "Finance as a Barrier to Entry: Bank Competition and Industry Structure in Local U.S. Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(1), pages 437-461, 02.
- Nicola Cetorelli & Philip Strahan, 2004. "Finance as a barrier to entry: bank competition and industry structure in local U.S. markets," Working Paper Series WP-04-04, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- William Hauk & Romain Wacziarg, 2009.
"A Monte Carlo study of growth regressions,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 14(2), pages 103-147, June.
- Beck, Thorsten & Levine, Ross, 2001. "Stock markets, banks, and growth : correlation or causality?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2670, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:openec:v:17:y:2006:i:4:p:541-559. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.