Do natural resource sectors rely less on external finance than manufacturing sectors?
The finding that industrial sectors differ in their dependence on external finance for sector-specific technological reasons and, thus, rely to a different degree on financial development has become a major concept in studies conducted on both growth and trade. Although natural resources might play an important role in each of these fields, research on industries' financial dependence has been limited so far to manufacturing. By focusing on the natural resource sectors, the present paper aims to close this gap in its analysis. It rejects the common view that the natural resource industry in particular is less dependent on the financial system, and finds that the results of the analysis depend on the specific measure being applied. Measures relating investment and cash flow indicate high external dependence, while measures accounting for more short-term liquidity needs demonstrate rather low external dependence of natural resource firms. These results do not change considerably over time or across countries.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Garystr. 21, 14195 Berlin (Dahlem)|
Phone: (030) 838 2272
Fax: (030) 838 2129
Web page: http://www.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/en/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eichengreen, Barry & Gullapalli, Rachita & Panizza, Ugo, 2011.
"Capital account liberalization, financial development and industry growth: A synthetic view,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 1090-1106, October.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Gullapalli, Rachita & Panizza, Ugo, 2009. "Capital account liberalization, financial development and industry growth: a synthetic view," POLIS Working Papers 128, Institute of Public Policy and Public Choice - POLIS.
- Hetschko, Clemens & Quint, Dominic & Thye, Marius, 2012. "Nationale Schuldenbremsen für die Länder der Europäischen Union: Taugt das deutsche Modell als Vorbild?," Discussion Papers 2012/12, Free University Berlin, School of Business & Economics.
- George Furstenberg & Ulf Kalckreuth, 2006. "Dependence on External Finance: An Inherent Industry Characteristic?," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 17(4), pages 541-559, December.
- von Kalckreuth, Ulf & von Furstenberg, George M., 2006. "Dependence on external finance: an inherent industry characteristic?," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2006,30, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Vlachos, Jonas & Svaleryd, Helena, 2001. "Financial Markets, the Pattern of Specialization and Comparative Advantage. Evidence from OECD countries," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 449, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 03 Sep 2001. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:fubsbe:201217. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.