Governance in the Gullies: Democratic Responsiveness and Leadership in Delhi's Slums
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version below or search for a different version of it.
Other versions of this item:
- Jha, Saumitra & Rao, Vijayendra & Woolcock, Michael, 2005. "Governance in the gullies : democratic responsiveness and leadership in Delhi's slums," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3694, The World Bank.
References listed on IDEAS
- Platteau, Jean-Philippe, 1995. "An Indian Model of Aristocratic Patronage," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(4), pages 636-662, October.
- Ivo Imparato & Jeff Ruster, 2003. "Slum Upgrading and Participation : Lessons from Latin America," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15133.
- Robert M. Townsend, 1995. "Consumption Insurance: An Evaluation of Risk-Bearing Systems in Low-Income Economies," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(3), pages 83-102, Summer.
- Kaivan Munshi, 2003. "Networks in the Modern Economy: Mexican Migrants in the U. S. Labor Market," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 118(2), pages 549-599.
- Timothy Besley, 1995. "Nonmarket Institutions for Credit and Risk Sharing in Low-Income Countries," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(3), pages 115-127, Summer.
- Bliss, C. J. & Stern, N. H., 1982. "Palanpur: The Economy of an Indian Village," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198284192.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Rao, Vijayendra & Ananthpur, Kripa & Malik, Kabir, 2017.
"The Anatomy of Failure: An Ethnography of a Randomized Trial to Deepen Democracy in Rural India,"
Elsevier, vol. 99(C), pages 481-497.
- Ananthpur, Kripa & Malik, Kabir & Rao, Vijayendra, 2014. "The anatomy of failure : an ethnography of a randomized trial to deepen democracy in rural India," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6958, The World Bank.
- Parikh, Priti & Chaturvedi, Sankalp & George, Gerard, 2012. "Empowering change: The effects of energy provision on individual aspirations in slum communities," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 50(C), pages 477-485.
- Brueckner, Jan K., 2013. "Urban squatting with rent-seeking organizers," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(4), pages 561-569.
- repec:eee:socmed:v:202:y:2018:i:c:p:128-135 is not listed on IDEAS
- Rahul Jambhulkar, 2018. "Fringe Lives A Study of a Slum in Patna," Working Papers id:12545, eSocialSciences.
- Kapoor, Mudit & Lall, Somik V. & Lundberg, Mattias K. A. & Shalizi, Zmarak, 2004. "Location and welfare in cities: impacts of policy interventions on the urban poor," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3318, The World Bank.
- Bert Suykens, 2015. "The Land that Disappeared: Forceful Occupation, Disputes and the Negotiation of Landlord Power in a Bangladeshi Bastee," Development and Change, International Institute of Social Studies, vol. 46(3), pages 486-507, May.
- K K Govender & N.Z Hlatshwayo, 2015. "Monitoring and Evaluation in the Public Sector: A Case Study of the Department of Rural Development and Land Reform in South Africa," Asian Journal of Economics and Empirical Research, Asian Online Journal Publishing Group, vol. 2(2), pages 91-99.
- repec:eee:wdevel:v:96:y:2017:i:c:p:119-135 is not listed on IDEAS
- Patrick Mullen & Divya Nair & Jayati Nigam & Katyayni Seth, 2016. "Urban Health Advantages and Penalties in India," World Bank Other Operational Studies 24025, The World Bank.
- Akerkar, Supriya & Joshi, P.C. & Fordham, Maureen, 2016. "Cultures of Entitlement and Social Protection: Evidence from Flood Prone Bahraich, Uttar Pradesh, India," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 86(C), pages 46-58.
- Michael Bamberger & Vijayendra Rao & Michael Woolcock, 2009.
"Using Mixed Methods in Monitoring and Evaluation: Experiences from International Development’,"
Global Development Institute Working Paper Series
10709, GDI, The University of Manchester.
- Bamberger, Michael & Rao, Vijayendra & Woolcock, Michael, 2010. "Using mixed methods in monitoring and evaluation : experiences from international development," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5245, The World Bank.
- Singh, Nirvikar, 2007. "Fiscal Federalism and Decentralization in India," MPRA Paper 1447, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jan K. Brueckner & Harris Selod, 2009.
"A Theory of Urban Squatting and Land-Tenure Formalization in Developing Countries,"
American Economic Journal: Economic Policy,
American Economic Association, vol. 1(1), pages 28-51, February.
- Jan K. Brueckner & Harris Selod, 2008. "A Theory of Urban Squatting and Land-Tenure Formalization in Developing Countries," CESifo Working Paper Series 2328, CESifo Group Munich.
- Jan K. Brueckner & Harris Selod, 2009. "A Theory of Urban Squatting and Land-Tenure Formalization in Developing Countries," Post-Print hal-00813126, HAL.
- Jan K. Brueckner & Harris Selod, 2008. "A Theory of Urban Squatting and Land-Tenure Formalization in Developing Countries," Working Papers 070816, University of California-Irvine, Department of Economics.
- Singh, Nirvikar, 2007. "Fiscal Federalism and Decentralization in India∗," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt11b543tk, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Kosec, Katrina, 2011. "Politics and preschool : the political economy of investment in pre-primary education," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5647, The World Bank.
- Nakamura, Shohei, 2017.
"Tenure Security Premium in Informal Housing Markets: A Spatial Hedonic Analysis,"
Elsevier, vol. 89(C), pages 184-198.
- Nakamura,Shohei, 2015. "Tenure security premium in informal housing markets : a spatial hedonic analysis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 7526, The World Bank.
- Emily Rains, 2018. "Urbanization and Indiaâ€™s Slum Continuum: Evidence on the Range of Policy Needs and Scope of Mobility," Working Papers id:12633, eSocialSciences.
- Bhavnani, Rikhil R. & Lacina, Bethany, 2017. "Fiscal Federalism at Work? Central Responses to Internal Migration in India," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 93(C), pages 236-248.
- Leonid Peisakhin, 2012. "Transparency and Corruption: Evidence from India," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 55(1), pages 129-149.
- Nilopa Shah, 2014. "Squatting On Government Land," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(1), pages 114-136, January.
- Sumila Gulyani & Ellen M. Bassett & Debabrata Talukdar, 2012. "Living Conditions, Rents, and Their Determinants in the Slums of Nairobi and Dakar," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 88(2), pages 251-274.
- Nicola Banks, 2016. "Livelihoods Limitations: The Political Economy of Urban Poverty in Dhaka, Bangladesh," Development and Change, International Institute of Social Studies, vol. 47(2), pages 266-292, March.
- Sara Johansson de Silva & Pierella Paci & Josefina Posadas, 2014. "Lessons Learned and Not Yet Learned from a Multicountry Initiative on Women's Economic Empowerment," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 16377.
More about this item
- C72 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Noncooperative Games
- D82 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Asymmetric and Private Information; Mechanism Design
- L14 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Transactional Relationships; Contracts and Reputation
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:35:y:2007:i:2:p:230-246. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/worlddev .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.