The performance implications of "grow or buy" decisions in the wine industry
This paper investigates how wineries' decisions to grow or buy their provisions of grape affect their viticultural performance. While previous literature in agrarian economics suggests a direct association between vertical integration and performance, this research largely neglects the impact of transaction cost variables on governance mode choice and firm performance. This paper first demonstrates that neither outsourcing nor vertical integration per se result in superior performance; rather, a winery's viticultural performance is contingent upon the alignment of winery's governance decisions with the predictions of transaction cost theory.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rachael E. Goodhue & Dale M. Heien & Hyunok Lee & Daniel A. Sumner, 2003.
"Contracts and Quality in the California Winegrape Industry,"
Review of Industrial Organization,
Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 23(3_4), pages 267-282, December.
- Rachael Goodhue & Dale Heien & Hyunok Lee & Daniel Sumner, 2003. "Contracts and Quality in the California Winegrape Industry," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 23(3), pages 267-282, December.
- James J. Heckman, 1976. "The Common Structure of Statistical Models of Truncation, Sample Selection and Limited Dependent Variables and a Simple Estimator for Such Models," NBER Chapters,in: Annals of Economic and Social Measurement, Volume 5, number 4, pages 475-492 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- W. H. Furtan & J. Sauer, 2008. "Determinants of Food Industry Performance: Survey Data and Regressions for Denmark," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(3), pages 555-573, 09.
- Furtan, William Hartley & Sauer, Johannes, 2008. "Determinants Of Food Industry Performance – Survey Data And Regressions For Denmark," 82nd Annual Conference, March 31 - April 2, 2008, Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester, UK 36851, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Ghemawat, Pankaj & Caves, Richard E, 1986. "Capital Commitment and Profitability: An Empirical Investigation," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 38(0), pages 94-110, Suppl. No.
- Williamson, Oliver E, 1979. "Transaction-Cost Economics: The Governance of Contractural Relations," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 22(2), pages 233-261, October.
- Silke Boger, 2001. "Quality and contractual choice: a transaction cost approach to the polish hog market," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 28(3), pages 241-262, October.
- Burki, Abid A. & Terrell, Dek, 1998. "Measuring production efficiency of small firms in Pakistan," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 155-169, January.
- Dorward, Andrew, 1999. "A Risk Programming Approach for Analysing Contractual Choice in the Presence of Transaction Costs," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 26(4), pages 479-492, December.
- Aggarwal, Rimjhim M., 2007. "Role of risk sharing and transaction costs in contract choice: Theory and evidence from groundwater contracts," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 475-496, July.
- Bigelow, Lyda S. & Argyres, Nicholas, 2008. "Transaction costs, industry experience and make-or-buy decisions in the population of early U.S. auto firms," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 66(3-4), pages 791-807, June.
- Willem Ziggers, Gerrit & Trienekens, Jacques, 1999. "Quality assurance in food and agribusiness supply chains: Developing successful partnerships," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 271-279, April.
- Anne T. Coughlan, 1985. "Competition and Cooperation in Marketing Channel Choice: Theory and Application," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 4(2), pages 110-129.
- Macmillan, Ian C. & Block, Zenas & Narasimha, P. N. Subba, 1986. "Corporate venturing: alternatives, obstacles encountered, and experience effects," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 177-191.
- Dolton, P. J. & Makepeace, G. H., 1987. "Interpreting sample selection effects," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 373-379.
- Jill E. Hobbs, 1997. "Measuring the Importance of Transaction Costs in Cattle Marketing," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(4), pages 1083-1095.
- Allen, Douglas W & Lueck, Dean, 1995. "Risk Preferences and the Economics of Contracts," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(2), pages 447-451, May.
- Gary L. Lilien, 1979. "Exceptional Paper--ADVISOR 2: Modeling the Marketing Mix Decision for Industrial Products," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 25(2), pages 191-204, February.
- Murray E. Fulton & Joan R. Fulton & J. Stephen Clark & Claudia Parliament, 1995. "Cooperative growth: Is it constrained?," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(3), pages 245-261.
- Oczkowski, Edward, 2001. "Hedonic Wine Price Functions and Measurement Error," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 77(239), pages 374-382, December.
- Levy, David T, 1985. "The Transactions Cost Approach to Vertical Integration: An Empirical Examination," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(3), pages 438-445, August.
- Masten, Scott E & Meehan, James W, Jr & Snyder, Edward A, 1991. "The Costs of Organization," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 7(1), pages 1-25, Spring.
- Heckman, James, 2013. "Sample selection bias as a specification error," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Heckman, James J, 1979. "Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-161, January.
- Erin Anderson & David C. Schmittlein, 1984. "Integration of the Sales Force: An Empirical Examination," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 15(3), pages 385-395, Autumn.
- Isabel Díez-Vial, 2007. "Explaining Vertical Integration Strategies: Market Power, Transactional Attributes and Capabilities," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(6), pages 1017-1040, 09.
- Kumar, M S, 1985. "Growth, Acquisition Activity and Firm Size: Evidence from the United Kingdom," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(3), pages 327-338, March.
- Nakamura, Alice & Nakamura, Masao, 1998. "Model specification and endogeneity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 83(1-2), pages 213-237.
- Jean-François Hennart, 1991. "The Transaction Costs Theory of Joint Ventures: An Empirical Study of Japanese Subsidiaries in the United States," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(4), pages 483-497, April.
- Marta Fernández-Olmos & Jorge Rosell-Martínez & Manuel A. Espitia-Escuer, 2009. "Vertical integration in the wine industry: a transaction costs analysis on the Rioja DOCa," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(2), pages 231-250.
- Fan, Joseph P. H., 2000. "Price uncertainty and vertical integration: an examination of petrochemical firms," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 345-376, December.
- Paul Wilson & Dave Hadley & Stephen Ramsden & Ioannis Kaltsas, 1998. "Measuring and Explaining Technical Efficiency in UK Potato Production," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(3), pages 294-305.
- Burdon, Steve & Bhalla, Ajay, 2005. "Lessons from the Untold Success Story:: Outsourcing Engineering and Facilities Management," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 576-582, October.
- J. Myles Shaver, 1998. "Accounting for Endogeneity When Assessing Strategy Performance: Does Entry Mode Choice Affect FDI Survival?," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(4), pages 571-585, April.
- McBride, Mark E, 1983. "Spatial Competition and Vertical Integration: Cement and Concrete Revisited," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(5), pages 1011-1022, December.
- Williamson, Oliver E, 1983. "Credible Commitments: Using Hostages to Support Exchange," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(4), pages 519-540, September.
- W. Coles, Jerilyn & Hesterly, William S., 1998. "The impact of firm-specific assets and the interaction of uncertainty: an examination of make or buy decisions in public and private hospitals," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 383-409, August.
- Kwo-Shin Chen & Emerson M. Babb & Lee F. Schrader, 1985. "Growth of large cooperative and proprietary firms in the US food sector," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 1(2), pages 201-210.
- Laura Poppo & Kevin Zheng Zhou & Todd R. Zenger, 2008. "Examining the Conditional Limits of Relational Governance: Specialized Assets, Performance Ambiguity, and Long-Standing Ties," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(7), pages 1195-1216, November.
- Caves, Richard E. & Bradburd, Ralph M., 1988. "The empirical determinants of vertical integration," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 265-279, April.
- Sanjib Bhuyan, 2002. "Impact of Vertical Mergers on Industry Profitability: An Empirical Evaluation," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 20(1), pages 61-79, February.
- Rachelle C. Sampson, 2004. "The Cost of Misaligned Governance in R&D Alliances," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(2), pages 484-526, October.
- Masten, Scott E, 1984. "The Organization of Production: Evidence from the Aerospace Industry," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 27(2), pages 403-417, October.
- John, George & Weitz, Barton A, 1988. "Forward Integration into Distribution: An Empirical Test of Transaction Cost Analysis," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 4(2), pages 337-355, Fall. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jfpoli:v:35:y:2010:i:3:p:256-264. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.