Vertical integration in the wine industry: a transaction costs analysis on the Rioja DOCa
The authors study the determinants of make or buy decisions for grapes made by wineries belonging to the Rioja Qualified Designation of Origin (DOCa). In particular, they analyze the relationship between product quality and vertical integration. Although there is a long tradition in transaction cost theory of analyzing the determinants of make or buy decisions in manufacturing, surprisingly few empirical studies have been conducted in the agriculture and food and beverage industry. Likewise, although quality is a key competitive variable in many food sectors, only a few studies have analyzed quality in their models. The authors find that transaction costs and product quality provide a useful explanation of vertical integration in the wine industry in the Rioja DOCa. Wineries that produce high-quality wines are more likely to integrate vertically than those producing low-quality wines. They also find that the size of the winery significantly affects make or buy choices. Implications are explored for managers facing a governance mode choice. [EconLit Classifications: L220, Q130]. © 2009 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume (Year): 25 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jill E. Hobbs, 1997. "Measuring the Importance of Transaction Costs in Cattle Marketing," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(4), pages 1083-1095.
- Erin Anderson & David C. Schmittlein, 1984. "Integration of the Sales Force: An Empirical Examination," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 15(3), pages 385-395, Autumn.
- Virginie Baritaux & Magali Aubert & Etienne Montaigne & Hervé Remaud, 2006.
"Matchmakers in wine marketing channels: The case of French wine brokers,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(3), pages 375-390.
- Virginie Baritaux & Magali Aubert & Etienne Montaigne & Hervé Remaud, 2005. "Matchmakers in Wine Marketing Channels : The Case of French Wine Brokers," Industrial Organization 0512007, EconWPA.
- Paul Joskow, 1984.
"Vertical Integration and Long Term Contracts: The Case of Coal Burning Electric Generating Plants,"
361, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Joskow, Paul L, 1985. "Vertical Integration and Long-term Contracts: The Case of Coal-burning Electric Generating Plants," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 1(1), pages 33-80, Spring.
- Benito Arruñada & Manuel González & Alberto Fernández, 2004.
"Determinants of organizational form: Transaction costs and institutions in the European trucking industry,"
Economics Working Papers
767, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Benito Arruñada & Manuel González-Díaz & Alberto Fernández, 2004. "Determinants of organizational form: transaction costs and institutions in the European trucking industry," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(6), pages 867-882, December.
- Klein, Benjamin & Crawford, Robert G & Alchian, Armen A, 1978. "Vertical Integration, Appropriable Rents, and the Competitive Contracting Process," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(2), pages 297-326, October.
- Lieberman, Marvin B, 1991. "Determinants of Vertical Integration: An Empirical Test," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(5), pages 451-66, September.
- Kirk Monteverde & David J. Teece, 1982. "Supplier Switching Costs and Vertical Integration in the Automobile Industry," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 13(1), pages 206-213, Spring.
- Douglas W. Allen & Dean Lueck, 1993. "Transaction Costs and the Design of Cropshare Contracts," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 24(1), pages 78-100, Spring.
- Rachael E. Goodhue & Dale M. Heien & Hyunok Lee & Daniel A. Sumner, 2003.
"Contracts and Quality in the California Winegrape Industry,"
Review of Industrial Organization,
Springer, vol. 23(3_4), pages 267-282, December.
- Rachael Goodhue & Dale Heien & Hyunok Lee & Daniel Sumner, 2003. "Contracts and Quality in the California Winegrape Industry," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 267-282, December.
- Masten, Scott E, 1984. "The Organization of Production: Evidence from the Aerospace Industry," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 27(2), pages 403-17, October.
- W. Coles, Jerilyn & Hesterly, William S., 1998. "The impact of firm-specific assets and the interaction of uncertainty: an examination of make or buy decisions in public and private hospitals," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 383-409, August.
- Isabel Díez-Vial, 2007. "Explaining Vertical Integration Strategies: Market Power, Transactional Attributes and Capabilities," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(6), pages 1017-1040, 09.
- Anne T. Coughlan, 1985. "Competition and Cooperation in Marketing Channel Choice: Theory and Application," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 4(2), pages 110-129.
- Fan, Joseph P. H., 2000. "Price uncertainty and vertical integration: an examination of petrochemical firms," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 345-376, December.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1984. "Tobit models: A survey," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1-2), pages 3-61.
- Allen, Douglas & Lueck, Dean, 1992. "Contract Choice in Modern Agriculture: Cash Rent versus Cropshare," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 35(2), pages 397-426, October.
- Williamson, Oliver E, 1979. "Transaction-Cost Economics: The Governance of Contractural Relations," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 22(2), pages 233-61, October.
- Davide Vannoni, 1999. "Empirical Studies of Vertical Integration: the Transaction Cost Orthodoxy," CERIS Working Paper 199903, Institute for Economic Research on Firms and Growth - Moncalieri (TO).
- Daniel McFadden, 1977. "Quantitative Methods for Analyzing Travel Behaviour of Individuals: Some Recent Developments," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 474, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Allen, Douglas W & Lueck, Dean, 1995. "Risk Preferences and the Economics of Contracts," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(2), pages 447-51, May.
- George W. J. Hendrikse, 2007. "On the co-existence of spot and contract markets: the delivery requirement as contract externality," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 34(2), pages 257-282, June.
- Shelanski, Howard A & Klein, Peter G, 1995. "Empirical Research in Transaction Cost Economics: A Review and Assessment," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(2), pages 335-61, October.
- John, George & Weitz, Barton A, 1988. "Forward Integration into Distribution: An Empirical Test of Transaction Cost Analysis," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 4(2), pages 337-55, Fall.
- Erin Anderson, 1985. "The Salesperson as Outside Agent or Employee: A Transaction Cost Analysis," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 4(3), pages 234-254.
- Gatignon, Hubert & Anderson, Erin, 1988. "The Multinational Corporation's Degree of Control over Foreign Subsidiaries: An Empirical Test of a Transaction Cost Explanation," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 4(2), pages 305-36, Fall.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:agribz:v:25:y:2009:i:2:p:231-250. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.