Forecasting of daily electricity prices with factor models: Utilizing intra-day and inter-zone relationships
We show that incorporating the intra-day and inter-zone relationships of electricity prices in the Pennsylvania--New Jersey--Maryland (PJM) Interconnection improves the accuracy of short- and medium-term forecasts of average daily prices for a major PJM market hub -- the Dominion Hub in Virginia, U.S. The forecasting performance of four multivariate models calibrated to hourly and/or zonal day-ahead prices is evaluated and compared with that of a univariate model, which uses only average daily data for the Dominion Hub. The multivariate competitors include a restricted vector autoregressive model and three factor models with the common and idiosyncratic components estimated using principal components in a semiparametric setup. The results indicate that there are forecast improvements from incorporating the additional information, essentially for all considered forecast horizons ranging from one day to two months, but only when the correlation structure of prices across locations and hours is modeled using factor models.
|Date of creation:||30 Dec 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://prac.im.pwr.wroc.pl/~hugo
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jushan Bai & Serena Ng, 2002.
"Determining the Number of Factors in Approximate Factor Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 70(1), pages 191-221, January.
- Jushan Bai & Serena Ng, 2000. "Determining the Number of Factors in Approximate Factor Models," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 440, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Jushan Bai & Serena Ng, 2000. "Determining the Number of Factors in Approximate Factor Models," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1504, Econometric Society.
- Tom Doan, . "BAING: RATS procedure to estimate factors in a factor model using Bai-Ng formulas," Statistical Software Components RTS00012, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Huisman, R. & Huurman, C. & Mahieu, R.J., 2007.
"Hourly Electricity Prices in Day-Ahead Markets,"
ERIM Report Series Research in Management
ERS-2007-002-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Panagiotelis, Anastasios & Smith, Michael, 2008. "Bayesian density forecasting of intraday electricity prices using multivariate skew t distributions," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 710-727.
- D'Agostino, Antonello & Bermingham, Colin, 2010.
"Understanding and Forecasting Aggregate and Disaggregate Price Dynamics,"
Research Technical Papers
8/RT/10, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Colin Bermingham & Antonello D’Agostino, 2014. "Understanding and forecasting aggregate and disaggregate price dynamics," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 46(2), pages 765-788, March.
- Bermingham, Colin & D’Agostino, Antonello, 2011. "Understanding and forecasting aggregate and disaggregate price dynamics," Working Paper Series 1365, European Central Bank.
- Wolfgang Karl HÃ¤rdle & Stefan TrÃ¼ck, 2010. "The dynamics of hourly electricity prices," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2010-013, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Conejo, Antonio J. & Contreras, Javier & Espinola, Rosa & Plazas, Miguel A., 2005. "Forecasting electricity prices for a day-ahead pool-based electric energy market," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 435-462.
- Liebl, Dominik, 2013. "Modeling and Forecasting Electricity Spot Prices: A Functional Data Perspective," MPRA Paper 50881, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Francis X. Diebold & Robert S. Mariano, 1994.
"Comparing Predictive Accuracy,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0169, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 2002. "Comparing Predictive Accuracy," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 134-44, January.
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 1995. "Comparing Predictive Accuracy," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(3), pages 253-63, July.
- Park, Byeong U. & Mammen, Enno & HÃ¤rdle, Wolfgang & Borak, Szymon, 2009.
"Time Series Modelling With Semiparametric Factor Dynamics,"
Journal of the American Statistical Association,
American Statistical Association, vol. 104(485), pages 284-298.
- Szymon Borak & Wolfgang Härdle & Enno Mammen & Byeong U. Park, 2007. "Time Series Modelling with Semiparametric Factor Dynamics," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2007-023, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3131737 is not listed on IDEAS
- Fong Chan, Kam & Gray, Philip, 2006. "Using extreme value theory to measure value-at-risk for daily electricity spot prices," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 283-300.
- Schlueter, Stephan, 2010. "A long-term/short-term model for daily electricity prices with dynamic volatility," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 1074-1081, September.
- Crespo Cuaresma, Jesús & Hlouskova, Jaroslava & Kossmeier, Stephan & Obersteiner, Michael, 2004. "Forecasting electricity spot-prices using linear univariate time-series models," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 87-106, January.
- Nikita Perevalov & Philipp Maier, 2010. "On the Advantages of Disaggregated Data: Insights from Forecasting the U.S. Economy in a Data-Rich Environment," Working Papers 10-10, Bank of Canada.
- Weron, Rafal & Misiorek, Adam, 2008.
"Forecasting spot electricity prices: A comparison of parametric and semiparametric time series models,"
10428, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Weron, Rafal & Misiorek, Adam, 2008. "Forecasting spot electricity prices: A comparison of parametric and semiparametric time series models," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 744-763.
- Katarzyna Maciejowska & Rafal Weron, 2013. "Forecasting of daily electricity spot prices by incorporating intra-day relationships: Evidence form the UK power market," HSC Research Reports HSC/13/01, Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology, revised 15 Apr 2013.
- Bordignon, Silvano & Bunn, Derek W. & Lisi, Francesco & Nan, Fany, 2013. "Combining day-ahead forecasts for British electricity prices," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 88-103.
- Stock J.H. & Watson M.W., 2002. "Forecasting Using Principal Components From a Large Number of Predictors," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 97, pages 1167-1179, December.
- Misiorek Adam & Trueck Stefan & Weron Rafal, 2006. "Point and Interval Forecasting of Spot Electricity Prices: Linear vs. Non-Linear Time Series Models," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 10(3), pages 1-36, September.
- Jushan Bai, 2003. "Inferential Theory for Factor Models of Large Dimensions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(1), pages 135-171, January.
- Rafal Weron, 2006. "Modeling and Forecasting Electricity Loads and Prices: A Statistical Approach," HSC Books, Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology, number hsbook0601.
- Adam Misiorek & Rafal Weron, 2006. "Interval forecasting of spot electricity prices," HSC Research Reports HSC/06/05, Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology.
- Koopman, Siem Jan & Ooms, Marius & Carnero, M. Angeles, 2007. "Periodic Seasonal Reg-ARFIMAGARCH Models for Daily Electricity Spot Prices," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 102, pages 16-27, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wuu:wpaper:hsc1311. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rafal Weron)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.