Price discovery in restructured electricity markets
We empirically investigate the degree of integration that existed prior to the cost increases that caused emergency conditions in the Western Systems Coordinating Council (WSCC), particularly California, during the summer of 2000. Evidence from Granger causality tests and common features analysis over the period from December 1994 to September 1999 indicates a moderate degree of integration among these markets. However, price effects throughout the region were often only unidirectional, did not exhibit the characteristics of perfect substitutability, and were significantly influenced by institutional changes in the California market. Most importantly, our research suggests that these markets were not as highly integrated as earlier research had indicated.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Walton, Steven & Tabors, Richard D., 1996. "Zonal transmission pricing: methodology and preliminary results from the WSCC," The Electricity Journal, Elsevier, vol. 9(9), pages 34-41, November.
- Willard, Kristen L & Guinnane, Timothy W & Rosen, Harvey S, 1996.
"Turning Points in the Civil War: Views from the Greenback Market,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 86(4), pages 1001-18, September.
- Kristen L. Willard & Timothy W. Guinnane & Harvey S. Rosen, 1995. "Turning Points in the Civil War: Views from the Greenback Market," NBER Working Papers 5381, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Severin Borenstein & James Bushnell, 1998.
"An Empirical Analysis of the Potential for Market Power in California's Electricity Industry,"
NBER Working Papers
6463, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Borenstein, Severin & Bushnell, James, 1999. "An Empirical Analysis of the Potential for Market Power in California's Electricity Industry," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(3), pages 285-323, September.
- Oren, Shmuel S. & Spiller, Pablo T. & Varaiya, Pravin & Wu, Felix, 1995. "Nodal prices and transmission rights: A critical appraisal," The Electricity Journal, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 24-35, April.
- Barnett, Andy H. & Isaacs, Justin P. & Thompson, Henry, 2002. "Retail Electric Competition and Free Interstate Trade in the Southeast," The Electricity Journal, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 68-74, March.
- Chi-Keung Woo & Debra Lloyd-Zannetti & Ira Horowitz, 1997. "Electricity Market Integration in the Pacific Northwest," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 3), pages 75-101.
- De Vany, Arthur S. & Walls, W. David, 1999. "Cointegration analysis of spot electricity prices: insights on transmission efficiency in the western US," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 435-448, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:resene:v:30:y:2008:i:2:p:250-259. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.