Credit Access, the Costs of Credit and Credit Market Discrimination
Since the early 1990s, credit expanded relative to income, especially after 2001. It is hypothesized that traditionally uneven credit access and gaps in the costs of credit by demographic characteristics shrank during this period. Relying on data from the Federal Reserve’s Survey of Consumer Finance, this study looks at financial constraints, the costs of credit and a number of contributions to the costs of credit, including sources and types of loans. The results indicate that taste-based discrimination and structural discrimination may have persisted and possibly increased over time. Gaps in credit access and costs of credit have widened by race, remained high by income, but shrank by ethnicity. Part of the overall differences in credit access was a varying reliance on professional information when making decisions on debt.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (413) 545-6355
Fax: (413) 545-2921
Web page: http://www.peri.umass.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marianne A. Hilgert & Jeanne M. Hogarth & Sondra G. Beverly, 2003. "Household financial management: the connection between knowledge and behavior," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Jul, pages 309-322.
- Lawrence J. White, 2002. "Financial Modernization after Gramm-Leach-Bliley: What About Communities?," Working Papers 02-02, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Christian Weller & Derek Douglas, 2007. "One Nation Under Debt," Challenge, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 50(1), pages 54-75, February.
- Mark C. Schug & M. Scott Niederjohn & William C. Wood, 2006. "Your Credit Counts Challenge: A Model Program for Financial Education for Low and Moderate Income Adults," Journal of Private Enterprise, The Association of Private Enterprise Education, vol. 22(Spring 20), pages 196-208.
- Christian E. Weller, 2007.
"Have Differences in Credit Access Diminished in an Era of Financial Market Deregulation?,"
wp144, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Christian Weller, 2010. "Have Differences in Credit Access Diminished in an Era of Financial Market Deregulation?," Review of Social Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 68(1), pages 1-34.
- Bostic Raphael & Paulson Anna L & Mehran Hamid & Saidenberg Marc, 2005.
"Regulatory Incentives and Consolidation: The Case of Commercial Bank Mergers and the Community Reinvestment Act,"
The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy,
De Gruyter, vol. 5(1), pages 1-27, April.
- Raphael Bostic & Hamid Mehran & Anna Paulson & Marc Saidenberg, 2002. "Regulatory incentives and consolidation: the case of commercial bank mergers and the Community Reinvestment Act," Working Paper Series WP-02-06, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- James H. Rauch & Jill M. Hendrickson, 2004. "Does Bank Consolidation Hurt the Small Business Borrower?," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 219-226, October.
- Kenneth A. Carow & Edward J. Kane & Rajesh P. Narayanan, 2005.
"How have borrowers fared in banking mega-mergers?,"
Working Paper Series
2005-09, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Sandra E. Black & Donald P. Morgan, 1999. "Meet the new borrowers," Current Issues in Economics and Finance, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, vol. 5(Feb).
- Munnell, Alicia H. & Geoffrey M. B. Tootell & Lynn E. Browne & James McEneaney, 1996.
"Mortgage Lending in Boston: Interpreting HMDA Data,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 86(1), pages 25-53, March.
- Alicia H. Munnell, 1992. "Mortgage lending in Boston: interpreting HMDA data," Working Papers 92-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Tripp, James D & Smith, Stanley D, 1993. "U.S. Credit Union Motivation for Involvement in the First-Mortgage Market," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 229-36, November.
- Chakravarty, Sugato, 2002. "Relationships and Rationing in Consumer Loans: Evidence from the Nineties," Purdue University Economics Working Papers 1153, Purdue University, Department of Economics.
- Timothy Bates, 2001. "Financing the development of urban minority communities: lessons from history," Communities and Banking, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Sum, pages 12-15.
- Scott E. Hein & Timothy W. Koch & S. Scott MacDonald, 2005. "On the uniqueness of community banks," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Q 1, pages 15-36.
- H. Semih Yildirim & Seung-Woog (Austin) Kwag & M. Cary Collins, 2006. "An Examination of the Equity Market Response to The Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act Across Commercial Banking, Investment Banking, and Insurance Firms," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(9-10), pages 1629-1649.
- David G. Blanchflower & Phillip B. Levine & David J. Zimmerman, 1998.
"Discrimination in the Small Business Credit Market,"
NBER Working Papers
6840, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David G. Blanchflower & Phillip B. Levine & David J. Zimmerman, 2003. "Discrimination in the Small-Business Credit Market," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(4), pages 930-943, November.
- Krueger, Dirk & Perri, Fabrizio, 2002. "Does Income Inequality Lead to Consumption Inequality?," CEPR Discussion Papers 3583, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hans G. Bloemen & Elena G. F. Stancanelli, 2005. "Financial Wealth, Consumption Smoothing and Income Shocks Arising from Job Loss," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 72(3), pages 431-452, 08.
- Ken Cavalluzzo & John Wolken, 2005.
"Small Business Loan Turndowns, Personal Wealth, and Discrimination,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(6), pages 2153-2178, November.
- Ken Cavalluzzo & John Wolken, 2002. "Small business loan turndowns, personal wealth and discrimination," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2002-35, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Gary Dymski, 1995. "The theory of bank redlining and discrimination: An exploration," The Review of Black Political Economy, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 37-74, March.
- Berger, Allen N, 2003.
" The Economic Effects of Technological Progress: Evidence from the Banking Industry,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 35(2), pages 141-76, April.
- Allen N. Berger, 2002. "The economic effects of technological progress: evidence from the banking industry," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2002-50, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- David C. Wheelock & Paul Wilson, 2002.
"Consolidation in US banking: which banks engage in mergers?,"
2001-003, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Wheelock, David C. & Wilson, Paul W., 2004. "Consolidation in US banking: Which banks engage in mergers?," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1-2), pages 7-39.
- Stephen L. Ross, 2005. "The Continuing Practice and Impact of Discrimination," Working papers 2005-19, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics, revised Jul 2006.
- Aigbe Akhigbe & Jeff Madura, 2004. "Bank acquisitions of security firms: the early evidence," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(7), pages 485-496.
- Gregory Elliehausen & Michael E. Staten, 2004. "Regulation of Subprime Mortgage Products: An Analysis of North Carolina's Predatory Lending Law," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 29(4), pages 411-433, December.
- Edward J. Bird & Paul A. Hagstrom & Robert Wild & Janet A. Weiss, 1999. "Credit card debts of the poor: High and rising," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(1), pages 125-133.
- Aigbe Akhigbe & Jeff Madura & Ann Whyte, 2004. "Partial Anticipation and the Gains to Bank Merger Targets," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 55-71, August.
- Cavalluzzo, Ken S & Cavalluzzo, Linda C, 1998. "Market Structure and Discrimination: The Case of Small Businesses," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 30(4), pages 771-92, November.
- Lynn Fox & Joy Hoffmann, 2004. "Federal Reserve personal financial education initiatives," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Aut, pages 447-457.
- Robert Avery & Katherine Samolyk, 2004. "Bank Consolidation and Small Business Lending: The Role of Community Banks," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 291-325, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uma:periwp:wp171. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Judy Fogg)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.