Discrimination, Social Capital, and Financial Constraints: The Case of Viet Nam
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version below or search for a different version of it.
Other versions of this item:
- Tho Pham & Oleksandr Talavera, 2017. "Discrimination, social capital, and financial constraints: The case of Vietnam," WIDER Working Paper Series wp-2017-67, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
References listed on IDEAS
- John McMillan & Christopher Woodruff, 1999.
"Interfirm Relationships and Informal Credit in Vietnam,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 114(4), pages 1285-1320.
- McMillan, John & Woodruff, Christopher, 1998. "Inter-Firm Relationships and Informal Credit in Vietnam," CEPR Discussion Papers 2036, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- John McMillan & Christopher Woodruff, 1998. "Interfirm Relationships and Informal Credit in Vietnam," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 132, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Hyytinen, Ari & Toivanen, Otto, 2005.
"Do financial constraints hold back innovation and growth?: Evidence on the role of public policy,"
Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 1385-1403, November.
- Hyytinen, Ari & Toivanen, Otto, 2003. "Do Financial Constraints Hold Back Innovation and Growth? Evidence on the Role of Public Policy," Discussion Papers 820, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Bao Duong, Pham & Izumida, Yoichi, 2002. "Rural Development Finance in Vietnam: A Microeconometric Analysis of Household Surveys," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 319-335, February.
- Xiaolan Zheng & Sadok El Ghoul & Omrane Guedhami & Chuck C Y Kwok, 2013. "Collectivism and corruption in bank lending," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 44(4), pages 363-390, May.
- Vos, Ed & Yeh, Andy Jia-Yuh & Carter, Sara & Tagg, Stephen, 2007. "The happy story of small business financing," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(9), pages 2648-2672, September.
- Aterido, Reyes & Beck, Thorsten & Iacovone, Leonardo, 2013. "Access to Finance in Sub-Saharan Africa: Is There a Gender Gap?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 47(C), pages 102-120.
- Oriana Bandiera & Ashwini Natraj, 2013.
"Does Gender Inequality Hinder Development and Economic Growth? Evidence and Policy Implications,"
World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 28(1), pages 2-21, February.
- Bandiera, Oriana & Natraj, Ashwini, 2013. "Does gender inequality hinder development and economic growth ? evidence and policy implications," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6369, The World Bank.
- Elizabeth Asiedu & James A. Freeman & Akwasi Nti-Addae, 2012. "Access to Credit by Small Businesses: How Relevant Are Race, Ethnicity, and Gender?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 102(3), pages 532-537, May.
- Elisa Ughetto, 2008. "Does internal finance matter for R&D? New evidence from a panel of Italian firms," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(6), pages 907-925, November.
- Fornoni, Mariel & Arribas, Iván & Vila, José E., 2012.
"An entrepreneur's social capital and performance: the role of access to information in the Argentinean case,"
Nülan. Deposited Documents
1881, Universidad Nacional de Mar del Plata, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Sociales, Centro de Documentación.
- Iván Arribas & Mariel Fornoni & Jose E. Vila, 2012. "An entrepreneur’s social capital and performance The role of access to information in the Argentinean case," Discussion Papers in Economic Behaviour 0712, University of Valencia, ERI-CES.
- David G. Blanchflower & Phillip B. Levine & David J. Zimmerman, 2003.
"Discrimination in the Small-Business Credit Market,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(4), pages 930-943, November.
- David G. Blanchflower & Phillip B. Levine & David J. Zimmerman, 1998. "Discrimination in the Small Business Credit Market," NBER Working Papers 6840, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Verheul, Ingrid & Uhlaner, Lorraine & Thurik, Roy, 2005.
"Business accomplishments, gender and entrepreneurial self-image,"
Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 483-518, July.
- Roy Thurik & Ingrid Verheul & Lorraine Uhlaner, 2003. "Business accomplishments, gender and entrepreneurial self-image," Scales Research Reports N200312, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Ingrid Verheul & Lorraine Uhlaner & Roy Thurik, 2004. "Business Accomplishments, Gender And Entrepreneurial Self-Image," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2004-10, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Ken S. Cavalluzzo, 2002. "Competition, Small Business Financing, and Discrimination: Evidence from a New Survey," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75(4), pages 641-680, October.
- Sadok El Ghoul & Omrane Guedhami & Chuck C. Y. Kwok & Xiaolan Zheng, 2016. "Collectivism and Corruption in Commercial Loan Production: How to Break the Curse?," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 139(2), pages 225-250, December.
- Alberto F. Alesina & Francesca Lotti & Paolo Emilio Mistrulli, 2013. "Do Women Pay More For Credit? Evidence From Italy," Journal of the European Economic Association, European Economic Association, vol. 11, pages 45-66, January.
- Oleksandr Talavera & Lin Xiong & Xiong Xiong, 2012.
"Social Capital and Access to Bank Financing: The Case of Chinese Entrepreneurs,"
Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 48(1), pages 55-69, January.
- Oleksandr Talavera & Lin Xiong & Xiong Xiong, 2010. "Social Capital and Access to Bank Financing: The Case of Chinese Entrepreneurs," University of East Anglia Applied and Financial Economics Working Paper Series 019, School of Economics, University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK..
- Kon, Y & Storey, D J, 2003. "A Theory of Discouraged Borrowers," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 37-49, August.
- Davidsson, Per & Honig, Benson, 2003. "The role of social and human capital among nascent entrepreneurs," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 301-331, May.
- Muravyev, Alexander & Talavera, Oleksandr & Schäfer, Dorothea, 2009.
"Entrepreneurs' gender and financial constraints: Evidence from international data,"
Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 270-286, June.
- Alexander Muravyev & Dorothea Schäfer & Oleksandr Talavera, 2007. "Entrepreneurs' Gender and Financial Constraints: Evidence from International Data," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 706, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Alexander Muravyev & Dorothea Schaefer & Oleksandr Talavera, 2008. "Entrepreneurs' gender and financial constraints: evidence from international data," Discussion Papers 11, Kyiv School of Economics.
- Cavalluzzo, Ken S & Cavalluzzo, Linda C, 1998. "Market Structure and Discrimination: The Case of Small Businesses," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 30(4), pages 771-792, November.
- Nguyen, Nhung & Luu, Nhung, 2013. "Determinants of Financing Pattern and Access to Formal -Informal Credit: The Case of Small and Medium Sized Enterprises in Viet Nam," MPRA Paper 81868, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised May 2013.
- Raphael W. Bostic & K. Patrick Lampani, 1999. "Racial differences in patterns of small business finance: the importance of local geography," Proceedings 775, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Stoyan Tenev & Amanda Carlier & Omar Chaudry & Quynh-Trang Nguyen, 2003. "Informality and the Playing Field in Vietnam's Business Sector," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15084, June.
- Ken Cavalluzzo & John Wolken, 2005.
"Small Business Loan Turndowns, Personal Wealth, and Discrimination,"
The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(6), pages 2153-2178, November.
- Ken Cavalluzzo & John D. Wolken, 2002. "Small business loan turndowns, personal wealth and discrimination," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2002-35, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), revised 2002.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli, 2006. "Small and medium-size enterprises: Access to finance as a growth constraint," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(11), pages 2931-2943, November.
- Guirkinger, Catherine, 2008. "Understanding the Coexistence of Formal and Informal Credit Markets in Piura, Peru," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 1436-1452, August.
- Dwyer, Peggy D. & Gilkeson, James H. & List, John A., 2002.
"Gender differences in revealed risk taking: evidence from mutual fund investors,"
Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 151-158, July.
- Peggy Dwyer & James Gilkeson & John List, 2002. "Gender differences in revealed risk taking: evidence from mutual fund investors," Natural Field Experiments 00510, The Field Experiments Website.
- Khoi, Phan Dinh & Gan, Christopher & Nartea, Gilbert V. & Cohen, David A., 2013. "Formal and informal rural credit in the Mekong River Delta of Vietnam: Interaction and accessibility," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 1-13.
- Cole, Rebel & Sokolyk, Tatyana, 2016.
"Who needs credit and who gets credit? Evidence from the surveys of small business finances,"
Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 24(C), pages 40-60.
- Cole, Rebel A., 2008. "Who needs credit and who gets credit? Evidence from the Surveys of Small Business Finances," MPRA Paper 24691, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 15 Mar 2010.
- Verheul, Ingrid & Thurik, Roy, 2001. "Start-Up Capital: "Does Gender Matter?"," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 16(4), pages 329-345, June.
- Van de Ven, Wynand P. M. M. & Van Praag, Bernard M. S., 1981. "The demand for deductibles in private health insurance : A probit model with sample selection," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 229-252, November.
- Klaus E. Meyer & Hung Vo Nguyen, 2005. "Foreign Investment Strategies and Sub‐national Institutions in Emerging Markets: Evidence from Vietnam," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(1), pages 63-93, January.
- D. Storey, 2004. "Racial and Gender Discrimination in the Micro Firms Credit Market?: Evidence from Trinidad and Tobago," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 23(5), pages 401-422, December.
- Stewart C. Myers, 2000. "Outside Equity," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(3), pages 1005-1037, June.
- Riding, Allan L. & Swift, Catherine S., 1990. "Women business owners and terms of credit: Some empirical findings of the Canadian experience," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 5(5), pages 327-340, September.
- Henrik Hansen & John Rand, 2014. "The Myth of Female Credit Discrimination in African Manufacturing," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 50(1), pages 81-96, January.
- Blanchard, Lloyd & Zhao, Bo & Yinger, John, 2008. "Do lenders discriminate against minority and woman entrepreneurs?," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 467-497, March.
- World Bank, 2011. "Vietnam Country Gender Assessment," World Bank Other Operational Studies 26745, The World Bank.
- Phelps, Edmund S, 1972. "The Statistical Theory of Racism and Sexism," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(4), pages 659-661, September.
- Kent WickstrÃ¸m Jensen, 2014. "Gendering of firms' collaboration networks and innovation: a global study with a focus on China, Japan and South Korea," International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 23(1/2), pages 213-234.
- Elizabeth Asiedu & Isaac Kalonda-Kanyama & Leonce Ndikumana & Akwasi Nti-Addae, 2013. "Access to Credit by Firms in Sub-Saharan Africa: How Relevant Is Gender?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 103(3), pages 293-297, May.
- Carol Newman, 2015. "Gender inequality and the empowerment of women in rural Vietnam," WIDER Working Paper Series 066, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Thang V. Nguyen & Ngoc T. B. Le & Nick J. Freeman, 2006. "Trust and Uncertainty: A Study of Bank Lending to Private SMEs in Vietnam," Asia Pacific Business Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(4), pages 547-568, October.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Calza, Elisa & Goedhuys, Micheline, 2018. "Domestic quality certification and growth of Vietnamese MSMEs," MERIT Working Papers 2018-026, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Tran, Viet T. & Nguyen, Trung Thanh & Tran, Nguyet T.M., 2019. "Gender difference in access to local finance and firm performance: Evidence from a panel survey in Vietnam," Economic Analysis and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 63(C), pages 150-164.
- Suebvises, Ploy, 2018. "Social capital, citizen participation in public administration, and public sector performance in Thailand," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 109(C), pages 236-248.
- Phuoc Vu Ha & Michael Frömmel, 2019. "Social Capital, Credit Choices And Growth In Vietnamese Household Businesses," Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship (JDE), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 24(03), pages 1-19, September.
- Chmelíková, Gabriela & Krauss, Annette & Dvouletý, Ondřej, 2019. "Performance of microfinance institutions in Europe—Does social capital matter?," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 68(C).
- Vuong, Quan-Hoang & La, Viet-Phuong & Ho, Manh-Toan & Vuong, Thu-Trang & Hoang, Hanh Phuong, 2019. "What have Vietnamese scholars learned from researching entrepreneurship?: A systematic review," OSF Preprints uhwmn, Center for Open Science.
- Hanvedes Daovisan & Thanapauge Chamaratana, 2018. "Confirmatory Factor Analysis of Assets That Influence Informal Garment Workers’ Livelihood Security in Laos," Societies, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 8(3), pages 1-1, June.
- Muhammad Arif & Mudassar Hasan & Ahmed Shafique Joyo & Christopher Gan & Sazali Abidin, 2020. "Formal Finance Usage and Innovative SMEs: Evidence from ASEAN Countries," Journal of Risk and Financial Management, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 13(10), pages 1-1, September.
- Vuong Quan Hoang & La Viet Phuong & Vuong Thu Trang & Hoang Phuong Hanh & Ho Manh Toan & Ho Manh Tung & Nguyen Hong Kong To, 2020. "Multi-faceted insights of entrepreneurship facing a fast-growing economy: A literature review," Open Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 3(1), pages 25-41, January.
- Huang, Jin & Sena, Vania & Li, Jun & Ozdemir, Sena, 2021. "Message framing in P2P lending relationships," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 122(C), pages 761-773.
More about this item
Keywordsentrepreneurship; financial constraints; gender; discrimination;
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- J16 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of Gender; Non-labor Discrimination
- L26 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Entrepreneurship
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:102:y:2018:i:c:p:228-242. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Haili He). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/worlddev .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.