The Real Output Costs of Financial Crisis: A Loss Distribution Approach
We study cross-country GDP losses due to financial crises in terms of frequency (number of loss events per period) and severity (loss per occurrence). We perform the Loss Distribution Approach (LDA) to estimate a multi-country aggregate GDP loss probability density function and the percentiles associated to extreme events due to financial crises. We find that output losses arising from financial crises are strongly heterogeneous and that currency crises lead to smaller output losses than debt and banking crises. Extreme global financial crises episodes, occurring with a one percent probability every five years, lead to losses between 2.95% and 4.54% of world GDP.
|Date of creation:||May 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 427-6250 ext. 3841
Web page: http://www.bcrp.gob.pe
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1999.
"The twin crises: The causes of banking and balance of payments problems,"
14081, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Graciela L. Kaminsky, 1999. "The Twin Crises: The Causes of Banking and Balance-of-Payments Problems," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 473-500, June.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996. "The twin crises: the causes of banking and balance-of-payments problems," International Finance Discussion Papers 544, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- N. F. R. Crafts, 1998.
"East Asian Growth Before and After the Crisis,"
IMF Working Papers
98/137, International Monetary Fund.
- Davide Furceri & Aleksandra Zdzienicka, 2011.
"How Costly Are Debt Crises?,"
IMF Working Papers
11/280, International Monetary Fund.
- Valerie Cerra & Sweta Chaman Saxena, 2007.
"Growth dynamics: the myth of economic recovery,"
BIS Working Papers
226, Bank for International Settlements.
- Patrick de Fontnouvelle & Eric Rosengren & John Jordan, 2007.
"Implications of Alternative Operational Risk Modeling Techniques,"
in: The Risks of Financial Institutions, pages 475-512
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Patrick de Fontnouvelle & John Jordan & Eric Rosengren, 2005. "Implications of Alternative Operational Risk Modeling Techniques," NBER Working Papers 11103, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Patrick de Fontnouvelle & Eric Rosengren & John Jordan, 2004. "Implications of alternative operational risk modeling techniques," Working Papers 04-9, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Davide Furceri & Aleksandra Zdzienicka-Durand, 2011.
"The Real Effect of Financial Crises in the European Transition Economies,"
- Davide Furceri & Aleksandra Zdzienicka, 2011. "The real effect of financial crises in the European transition economies," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 19(1), pages 1-25, 01.
- Davide Furceri & Aleksandra Zdzienicka, 2009. "The Real Effect of Financial Crises in the European Transition Economies," Working Papers 0920, Groupe d'Analyse et de Théorie Economique (GATE), Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS), Université Lyon 2, Ecole Normale Supérieure.
- Barro, Robert, 2006. "Rare Disasters and Asset Markets in the Twentieth Century," Scholarly Articles 3208215, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 8973.
- Furceri, Davide & Mourougane, Annabelle, 2012.
"The effect of financial crises on potential output: New empirical evidence from OECD countries,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 822-832.
- Davide Furceri & Annabelle Mourougane, 2009. "The Effect of Financial Crises on Potential Output: New Empirical Evidence from OECD Countries," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 699, OECD Publishing.
- Zorobabel Bicaba & Daniel Kapp & Francesco Molteni, 2011.
"Stability periods between financial crises: The role of macroeconomic fundamentals and crises management policies,"
Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne
11064, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Bicaba, Zorobabel & Kapp, Daniel & Molteni, Francesco, 2014. "Stability periods between financial crises: The role of macroeconomic fundamentals and crises management policies," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 43(C), pages 346-360.
- Zorobabel Bicaba & Daniel Kapp & Francesco Molteni, 2011. "Stability periods between financial crises : The role of macroeconomic fundamentals and crises management policies," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00639869, HAL.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00639869 is not listed on IDEAS
- Asli DemirgÃ¼Ã§-Kunt & Enrica Detragiache, 1998. "The Determinants of Banking Crises in Developing and Developed Countries," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 45(1), pages 81-109, March.
- Valerie Cerra & Sweta Chaman Saxena, 2003.
"Did Output Recover From the Asian Crisis?,"
IMF Working Papers
03/48, International Monetary Fund.
- Tito Cordella & Eduardo Levy Yeyati, 2005.
"A (New) Country Insurance Facility,"
IMF Working Papers
05/23, International Monetary Fund.
- John H. Boyd & Pedro Gomis-Porqueras & Sungkyu Kwak & Bruce David Smith, 2014.
"A User's Guide to Banking Crises,"
Annals of Economics and Finance,
Society for AEF, vol. 15(2), pages 800-892, November.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Tito Cordella, 2004.
Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings
136, Econometric Society.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Tito Cordella, 2004. "Country Insurance," IMF Working Papers 04/148, International Monetary Fund.
- Tito Cordella & Eduardo Levy Yeyati, 2004. "Country Insurance," Business School Working Papers countryinsurance, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Tito Cordella & Eduardo Levy Yeyati, 2004. "Country Insurance," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 290, Econometric Society.
- Cecchetti, Stephen G & Kohler, Marion & Upper, Christian, 2009.
"Financial Crises and Economic Activity,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7495, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti & Marion Kohler & Christian Upper, 2009. "Financial crises and economic activity," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 89-135.
- Michael Bordo & Barry Eichengreen & Daniela Klingebiel & Maria Soledad Martinez-Peria, 2001. "Is the crisis problem growing more severe?," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 16(32), pages 51-82, 04.
- Guillermo A. Calvo, 1998. "Capital Flows and Capital-Market Crises: The Simple Economics of Sudden Stops," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 35-54, November.
- Gupta, Poonam & Mishra, Deepak & Sahay, Ratna, 2007. "Behavior of output during currency crises," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 428-450, July.
- Robert J. Barro, 2001. "Economic Growth in East Asia Before and After the Financial Crisis," NBER Working Papers 8330, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ricardo J. Caballero, 2003. "The Future of the IMF," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(2), pages 31-38, May.
- Don Hanna & Yiping Huang, 2002. "Bank Restructuring in Post-Crisis Asia," Asian Economic Papers, MIT Press, vol. 1(1), pages 3-42.
- Glenn Hoggarth & Ricardo Reis & Victoria Saporta, 2001.
"Costs of banking system instability: some empirical evidence,"
Bank of England working papers
144, Bank of England.
- Hoggarth, Glenn & Reis, Ricardo & Saporta, Victoria, 2002. "Costs of banking system instability: Some empirical evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 825-855, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rbp:wpaper:2012-013. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Research Unit)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Research Unit to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.